Notices

Waukegan Harbor??

Old 07-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Waukegan Harbor??

Hello,

I am hoping to lauch at Waukegan Harbour this weekend. Does anyone know this ramp?

Thanks,

Andy
Old 07-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to North Point. More better. Tons of powerboats.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Northpoint is a lot easier to launch and retrieve. The entire marina is well done! Also, they have plenty of parking and a washdown area. Plus, they have dedicated launch and retrieve ramps, so no hassles with who was there first. Finally, there is a decent place to eat and plenty of free docking for a few hours.

There is construstion going on, but we were there last week and had no issues navigating the detour to get to the ramp.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Mark,
How do you not get busted at 12' for overwidth by the Zion police? I have been told they are brutal for over length and width which is why I launch in Waukegan Harbor. It not a very nice launch like North Point, but nobody hassles me there with a 10'6" wide boat.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
Mark,
How do you not get busted at 12' for overwidth by the Zion police? I have been told they are brutal for over length and width which is why I launch in Waukegan Harbor. It not a very nice launch like North Point, but nobody hassles me there with a 10'6" wide boat.
If you go to the police station in Winthrop Harbor you can get a 'permit' for a rig that is too long and/or too wide. We had a 40 Hustler and paid ~$100 for the year. You can get a one-time use, limited use (like 3-4 times) or unlimited use... we were unlimited. They give you a receipt and you carry it in the glove box. We never were stopped, but I heard some others getting stopped and getting VERY large tickets. I did not want the hassle, so the cost was worth it for me.

I really thought the village was terrible for hassling boaters. They post one little (I mean very little) sign and consider this notice.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Registered

Good to know, was wondering that over length thing my self, someone said that was for commercial trucks only...guess not.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Waukeegan is not that bad at all.....just sucks going through Waukeegan to get there....seems like i get stuck at every single light there is before the harbor........when you get there just try and use the far left ramp as its the deepest for launching.....or so we've been told.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boomer 880
If you go to the police station in Winthrop Harbor you can get a 'permit' for a rig that is too long and/or too wide. We had a 40 Hustler and paid ~$100 for the year. You can get a one-time use, limited use (like 3-4 times) or unlimited use... we were unlimited. They give you a receipt and you carry it in the glove box. We never were stopped, but I heard some others getting stopped and getting VERY large tickets. I did not want the hassle, so the cost was worth it for me.

I really thought the village was terrible for hassling boaters. They post one little (I mean very little) sign and consider this notice.
I looked into that Zion permit as well. However state laws require wide loads only be moved on weekdays during the day. The city could not give a good answer if weekends are OK. I was too nervous knowing the fines are big.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
Maybe you should just get a reasonable sized boat and stop compensating
Which leads me to ask why do you have that tiny car the Porsche 914?
Old 07-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Registered

got stopped yesterday in Wintrop pulling my Lx 10 6" w cop was real nice let me drop off boat and go pay for permit $ 25 no tiket. For such an infamous guy I don't seem to rub cops the wrong way.

Quick Reply: Waukegan Harbor??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.