Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boat Club Forums > Northern Illinois Offshore Club
Attn Chain O' Lakes IL.boaters, need to go to this meeting !!! >

Attn Chain O' Lakes IL.boaters, need to go to this meeting !!!

Notices

Attn Chain O' Lakes IL.boaters, need to go to this meeting !!!

Old 12-15-2007, 09:20 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was there. I would estimate between 100-125. I feel there will be alot more on the 14th. Word is out about this and I know for a fact that there will be several business owners at the meeting in Fox Lake because this could hurt their business also.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Registered

I have lived on the river in McHenry for 3 years now. I love to go fast and love the sound of loud boats going by. Whenever I hear one coming I still have to stop and look at what it is. Half of the time it is not even a go fast, but an 18- 20 footer with side exhaust which probably only goes 45 mph. SO even with a speedlimit, those boats will still get by.

I was also pulled over last summer for a db check. Someone in Johnsburg was radioing police of loud boats going by. Which I heard the guy calling the sheriff while I was pulled over calling on another boat. I gues I know who it is now. The cops were anything but friendly. I had a broken wrist and a newbie boater and they wouldn't help me tie up to them. They through out some small bouys, so I had to use mine. Once he started doing the test, he told me 85 was passing and that I failed. Then hands me the paper work saying 90 was pasing and that I DID pass at 81 db but I need to run with my exhaust off. Then on the paper work he checked the box that I failed. I would have expected a little more courtisy from them. The same cop that pulled me over, did not say anything to a loud boat that started up in the locks with out captains choice.

Another thing I noticed, is where is all the patrol on the weekends for Mchenry county. In the middle of the week, I see them going up and down the river every hour. When I go out on the weekends (peak boating time) I hardly see an of Mchenrys finest. Maybe step up patrols on the wekends and less during the week?
Old 12-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by klaw
Phill had said people approach him all the time to voice there opinion so everytime you see him you should voice yours in a polite manner
He probably goes to bed at 8pm.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:24 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I'd do, is wait till he leaves that watering hole, and then call the police and tell them that there's a "drunken" driver on the road and give them a plate # and description of the vehicle and which way it's going.

Two can play that game of calling the law.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 12-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Registered

Maybe they should be patrolling the river and other areas on the weekend instead of sitting under the bridges doing safety checks. I'm sure the few people that are driving "wreckless" would think twice if they had to pass a mchenry county cop on the river for a change.
Last year I had a Jet Ski cut in front of me on Nippersink, probably 20 feet at most, as I passed a boat getting a safety check at Rte 12 I asked why they weren't out patrolling. Wow! What a look I got from Lake counties Finest.

I thought there were a lot of good ideas in the December 13th meeting, and we plan on being there for Februrary 14th.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:55 PM
VIP Member

What !!! Put mufflers on to make it quiet for him ??? That's exactly what he wants. I am going to make sure my boat is no quieter than EXACTLY 90 db, and I will make repeated passes at 45 mph on the river!!!!

Just kidding !!!
Old 12-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 941 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty
What !!! Put mufflers on to make it quiet for him ??? That's exactly what he wants. I am going to make sure my boat is no quieter than EXACTLY 90 db, and I will make repeated passes at 45 mph on the river!!!!

Just kidding !!!
How about a 12V dump valve to divert the water going into the tail pipes out the side, making the tails a little more "dry" and make the exhaust "bark" a little louder! Hit the switch as you drive by and let him her ya! Then hit the switch back and quiet it back down to normal....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 AM
VIP Member

Wally-- Great idea. I am also going to record some loud exhaust sounds and play them on my sound system as I go by. That should be worth at least another few DB's of sound!!
Old 12-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need to find an old a$$ pontoon with a 2 stroke out board, put an expansion chamber pipe on it and shoot it out the back of the cover . Then just hang out by his house fishing.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

All joking aside we need to work with the noise laws in place to keep this speed limit from gaining momentum with the public at large. The law is 90 db at idle behind the transom and 75 db on a fly by. Very, very few boats will pass the 75 db test even with mufflers unless the exhaust is under water and none will pass the 90 db test without mufflers or under water exhaust. If your boat is louder than a Bayliner you will not pass. We all need to try to keep the noise down. Last year I ran down turns on both of my boats and my idle test was 80 db. I still need to work on the on plane sound. The CMI mufflers are the best muffler on the market will keep you and all of us out of trouble. I have used them on two boats and even passed the test with Lake County on my 1000hp Motion.

Quick Reply: Attn Chain O' Lakes IL.boaters, need to go to this meeting !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.