Notices

Beginning The Boat Search

Old 02-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Beginning The Boat Search

Wife and I are looking to make the move to Lake Michigan this year. We started looking at boats last fall to see what would fit us best (cruiser to performance). After a few trips to "research" options, and hours of discussion, I have the wife sold on the idea of a 32ft to 35ft powerboat.

Hoping to ask the locals a few questions. I'll apologize ahead of time for sounding like a total newbie, but we have been on the Chain since 2003 (cant wait to leave it), and know little about boating on Lake Michigan.

1) We intend to drystack at Northpoint, since we live in Chicago and cannot store the boat at the house. Are there other options out there?

2) Is a boat this size capable of the typical 1-3ft wave reports I see when I look at the noaa weather for the lake?

3) Wife enjoys running, but also really likes to anchor and relax. Are there beach options for this if we head north?

We are currently looking at the used market for something with twin EFI engines in the 32ft - 35ft range. Budget is around 100k (trying to be cautious in the great economy of today). Any leads are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Last edited by JimmyS; 02-16-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyS
Wife and I are looking to make the move to Lake Michigan this year. We started looking at boats last fall to see what would fit us best (cruiser to performance). After a few trips to "research" options, and hours of discussion, I have the wife sold on the idea of a 32ft to 35ft powerboat.

Hoping to ask the locals a few questions. I'll apologize ahead of time for sounding like a total newbie, but we have been on the Chain since 2003 (cant wait to leave it), and know little about boating on Lake Michigan.

1) We intend to drystack at Northpoint, since we live in Chicago and cannot store the boat at the house. Are there other options out there?

2) Is a boat this size capable of the typical 1-3ft wave reports I see when I look at the noaa weather for the lake?

3) Wife enjoys running, but also really likes to anchor and relax. Are there beach options for this if we head north?

We are currently looking at the used market for something with twin EFI engines in the 32ft - 35ft range. Budget is around 100k (trying to be cautious in the great economy of today). Any leads are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jimmy
I have been boating a few years now on Lake Michigan, so Ill share my thoughts/experiences:

1. If you want to stay in Chicago, there are limited choices. Those choices become even less if you want to keep the boat in the water. If you are willing to go across the Indiana boarder, there are more choices and less cost involved.

2. 32-35 feet is plenty big for 1-3 footers. Thats not the waves you need to worry about. Its when they get bigger than 4' (not that uncommon) that requires boaters to tread lightly. Typically, the weather service will issue a small craft advisory, and even people with larger cruisers will stay in on those days. The other issue you have to be aware of is water conditions that can change from hour to hour. A calm day can turn rough really quick. With a boat that big though, you will be able to ride through as much rough stuff as your body can handle, haha.

3. Not sure about beaching options north, but there is a popular spot right off Lakeshore drive called the Playpen people like to anchor and tie up at. I know there are a number of beaches as you head towards Indiana as well.

Just my experiences, Im sure others will have a lot more to offer.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:28 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I've learned over the past "many" years on the big pond is, there's alot of places to go to when you go north across the Wisc. border, Kenosha, Milwaukee, etc. etc. That's great if you like to sit at a bar or restaurant on the water and look at your boat on the dock. I believe there are a few places to throw a anchor too along the beach. Not too many when the lake kicks up which it seems to do quite often lately.

Not to many places to go to when in Chicago, unless you want to go through the locks, downtown in the river, even then the places are limited. There's always a party going on over the weekends in the "playpen". That's the area that's inside the breakwall, from Oak street beach to Navy pier. Even when the lake kicks up its 4-5's out there, the breakwall keeps the water fairly calm enough to throw an anchor, or even sometimes have a raft off party with several boats. No anchoring near any beaches in the immediate area of Chicago.

Now, going south of Navy pier about 15 miles, you come to Hammond Ind. There are miles and miles of beaches that you can go to by boat. As you travel up the shoreline towards Michigan city, you'll pass the "Dunes", Boater friendly beaches everywhere, and from there on up there's nothin but beaches as far as you can see. BUT, it's not a place that you'd want to be when there's a 15-20 mph north or N/E wind. Those beaches'll get real snotty, and you can't anchor there.

The big pond has it's advantages and disadvantages, just like everywhere else does. You have to choose the days you want to be out there if you're lookin for calm waters, otherwise get ready for the thrill of your life and hang on. Running through 4-5 ftr's gets real tiring real quick, especially if you're in a 32-35 ft boat. Even in a 40-42 ftr, it gets old quick. It's fun for a while, but you don't want to be on a steady diet of that stuff. LMAO

Boat size??? I would'nt recomend anything shorter than a 35 ftr if ya want to have that feeling of security when out there.

Just my opinion, and I'm sure that there are many that can add to that.

Frank
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 02-17-2009, 07:05 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like your looking for a 38-42 Fountain !!!!!

Sorry guys,,, inside joke !!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:15 AM
Registered

We are in a slip at North Point and enjoy it their. Plenty of great anchorage spots with-in easy distance. I think you are on the right track for a starter sized Lake Michigan boat; just make sure it has a VHF radio and a good chart-plotter / GPS. Radar is nice but not really required if you just plan to be a day cruiser. Lot's of nice boat deals available now from Skipper Bud's right their at the harbor, might be worth a look-see.
E-mail us if you need anymore info about North Point, you are going to love it !
Old 02-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Registered

1. You could get a lift in Hammond Ind, plenty of preformance boats form the City here.

2. Yes definately, I ran that water in first boat 24' Checkmate, normally the water is around 2'. Watch out for north winds!

3. Best beachs are south in Indiana, if not the play pen is a great time!
Old 02-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 10x
Running through 4-5 ftr's gets real tiring real quick, especially if you're in a 32-35 ft boat. Even in a 40-42 ftr, it gets old quick. It's fun for a while, but you don't want to be on a steady diet of that stuff. LMAO
found that out the hard way going to the boat party from EC last summer...

4-6's + bursting 5 qt jugs of oil + getting tossed around like a rag doll = crying girlfriend

Still made it, though.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by baddogz28
found that out the hard way going to the boat party from EC last summer...

4-6's + bursting 5 qt jugs of oil + getting tossed around like a rag doll = crying girlfriend

Still made it, though.
Its a Pantera, of course it made it,

Nice meeting you at the boat show, did you pick up that hat from the Pantera site?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Registered

Default YES 32/35ft

BUT WHERE'S EVERYBODYS THRILL TONS OF FUN IN A 2 7 1 FORMULA WITH 2 TO 3s AFTER THAT IT'S WORK! TRY TO HOOK UP WITH OTHER PEOPLE TILL YOU KNOW WHAT YOU CAN HANDLE OUT THERE !
Old 02-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tony manzella
BUT WHERE'S EVERYBODYS THRILL TONS OF FUN IN A 2 7 1 FORMULA WITH 2 TO 3s AFTER THAT IT'S WORK! TRY TO HOOK UP WITH OTHER PEOPLE TILL YOU KNOW WHAT YOU CAN HANDLE OUT THERE !
Not to steal this guys thread, but how does a 271 Fastec handle the big pond? Its on my list of boats to look at this year...

I always seem to go back to looking at Formulas, they really seem like quality boats.

Quick Reply: Beginning The Boat Search

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.