Need a little local information

Notices

Need a little local information

Old 09-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Need a little local information

Hello,

We are planning a trip to Chicago this weekend and I wanted to get some advice on our plans. My sister lives in Grays Lake so we are planning on trailering our formula 382 to Winthrop Harbor, launching, and renting a slip. We are hoping to run south and touring the Chicago lakefront. We were also hoping to run the Chicago River a little bit.

I have a couple of questions:

- I just had the trailer inspected; are there any other towing issues that I should be concerned about? We are coming up from Indiana and I am planning on staying on the toll road.
- Has anyone launched at Winthrop to know the conditions of the ramp?
- Is there anywhere in the Chicago lakefront area to get 93?
- I have not messed with the mufflers (factory original) and in 2005 the boat was supposed to be legal in all states. Are there any areas that I should avoid? How about speed limits on the lakefront or the river?
- How is the weather outlook for this weekend?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Andy
Old 09-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Andy,

there is a special permit required for any combined vehicle length of 55 ft or more for 7th street. That is the only street that goes to North Point marina. I have not seen it enforced lately, but just thought you should know. It is available at city hall in W.H. The ramps are very nice, you will have no issues, and there is no fee.
i know they sell 92 at Northpoint, but am unsure about the marinas down south. If you have any questions about Northpoint or need anything, call me at 847-613-7319. I live only 2 minutes from the marina and I spend ALOT of time there.

Rob

Last edited by obsessed1; 09-02-2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: wrong octane
Old 09-02-2010, 01:10 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

93 also in chicago at Diversy harbor. only harbor in the city with 93.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 09-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might want to check the marine forcast for the weekend. Forcast for friday eveing is 12-16'. If the lake lays down, no need to worry about exhaust noise! As far as speed limit, there is not one, just need to use common sense when close to other boats etc. You will need life jackets on, to go thru the lock downtown. That should about cover it.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

No wake on the Chicago River if you lock through...not much to do down there except look up, unfortunately. Cool pic opportunity, but the only restaurant you can get to leaves your boat hanging on a really crappy wall.

Lake MIGHT lay down by Sunday or Monday....
Old 09-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Magic indicated you should check the marine forecast. He is correct that the waves on the east side of the lake are going to be huge. In the area you are talking about they are calling for waves in the 4 to 7 foot range until Saturday. I did not check beyond that time. Let me assure you that you will not enjoy yourself on Lake Michigan in 4 to 7 foot waves and certainly not the size waves that they are expecting on the east side of the lake.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:42 AM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks everyone for the replies!