Notices

Debris in/on Chain O lakes

Old 04-28-2013, 08:40 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debris in/on Chain O lakes

I finally got up north to see just how bad the flooding is. Besides the super high water levels a week later, I could not believe how much debris, and what it consisted of, had floated up on the different shorelines I viewed. Tons of logs, sticks, branches, pieces of wood and even long sections of wooden docks. Everything but the kitchen sink, which I bet is in the middle of a lake waiting for a guy like me with fresh props.

Even when the water drops to a level for open boating, I am still going to wait a few weeks more until I go out. Probably close to June 1st.

Smitty

Old 04-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

Just out on the DesPlaines/Illinois today and it wasn't terrible. There was definitely some crap floating but mostly tiny little twigs. The water was still fairly high.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:42 AM
Registered

Received 4,322 Likes on 1,241 Posts

So pretty much a typical day at the chain then , some hepititis water with $hit floating around
Old 05-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
So pretty much a typical day at the chain then , some hepititis water with $hit floating around
yep...you best stay at the Chicago river,,much cleaner there.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:42 PM
VIP Member

Checked today. Water is dropping now and has about a foot or so to go to be at normal pool. The stories I have heard about what has floated around is wild. My marina had a small roll around dumpster end up in his back lot. It was empty and floated across the lake and was on the ground when the water retreated....crazy !!!!!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty
Checked today. Water is dropping now and has about a foot or so to go to be at normal pool. The stories I have heard about what has floated around is wild. My marina had a small roll around dumpster end up in his back lot. It was empty and floated across the lake and was on the ground when the water retreated....crazy !!!!!
That'll ruin a prop for sure!
Old 05-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

frickken chan will ruin a lot of stuff . besides all the nut cases to go with it . good luck
Old 05-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard that it only had 8 inches to go before it would open for all boat traffic next weekend. I'm on a camping trip next weekend so if you could all go out and find the bad things floating and not floating in the water I would appreciate it. My prop and out drive thank you!!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

That be a story to tell. "hey man, whatcha hit, yorr drive and props are mangled!''

"aghhh, hit a friggin dumpster dude"

"what'd ya back into it at a gas station"

"nah, it was floating in the middle of the lake"

"ohhhh, you musta been on the chain''

''yup''
Old 05-06-2013, 01:35 PM
VIP Member

You guys crack me up !!! I have been on the Chain for like 25 yrs. In that time I have dinged 2 props. On my current boat, the props were new in 2006, and I just sent them in for touch up and some additional cupping. As long as you use some common sense and know where not to go, it is fine. Sure the water is mississippi muddy, but its water none the less. If the big pond is too rough for you guys to go out, call me and hitch a ride with us...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.