Notices

High Flow Heads

Old 03-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Just curious, but 35 hrs at $90 a hour is $3150 for iron head work. Are there not better choices out there in aluminum for the same (or just a little more) money?

No question that is some pretty work!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

No disrespect but how do you have a cam ground with no flow numbers?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 4,267 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Trust me I ran the numbers between selling these and going with Aluminum many times but in the end it was still thousands more and then I`d still have a stock head without Mike C.C. work.

Mike does not charge by the hour, I`ll look at the bill and get you a better number but it was not $3K .
Old 03-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
Here we go again.. try to post a positive thread and get slammed for it...
Last time I posted a discount code for RedHorse and the same thing happened.

I posted this because I have a LOCAL guy who does great work , has great prices and is the most honest guy you`ll ever meet so I thought I~d share. THE END!

Don`t worry about my cam, my flow numbers, my set up, I have that under control but thanx for your concern. WTF
Old 03-13-2014, 09:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Here we go again.. try to post a positive thread and get slammed for it...
Last time I posted a discount code for RedHorse and the same thing happened.

I posted this because I have a LOCAL guy who does great work , has great prices and is the most honest guy you`ll ever meet so I thought I~d share. THE END!

Don`t worry about my cam, my flow numbers, my set up, I have that under control but thanx for your concern. WTF
Yikes! Stand down man. I was asking an honest question. Seems like you would have them flowed after all that work.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 AM
Registered

Why would I pull out perfectly good cams? How would you custom grind a cam according to combustion chamber work? Ground a new cam because I gained 40 cfm , there was no port work done. Changing cam specs because of this work would be a complete waste of time and money. I don`t care about the air flow numbers, if you do Mike will be more than happy to flow them for you.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:36 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
It's a BBC. Lift those damn valves as far as you can within your budget. LOL.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Something to keep in mind. Icdedppl did NOT bring these heads in, just because he wanted port work. He brought them in, as he had some leakdown issues, and some extremely tight guides. He wanted them gone thru, as in rebuilt, as a preventative maintainance kind of thing. The chamber work, was a add on.

Before we get wrapped up in flow numbers, we must remember, that cylinder head basics apply no matter what cam is used here. No backcut on the valves, poor transition in the seat/bowl area, is not helping airflow. Would you opt to leave the obstructive transition, and uncut valves, based on what cam you are running? No, you'd say, clean that $hit up and backcut the valves.

As far as the chamber porting. Unshrouding the valves to the gasket bore, is not a new trick, but effective. That was done, along with some cleanup and blending. There were several CC's of volume added to the chamber. Which will slightly reduce compression, but the airflow and burn quality, should more than make up for the loss.

Another area that was worked on, was valve spring setup. They changed out the springs, for more spring pressure, as the lifters icdedppl has, call for more spring pressure, per both John Callies (morel), and Bob Madera. Bob and Mike from Hi Flow heads worked together on getting the proper spring for the application, as to choose a spring, that not only has the correct pressures, but the correct distance from coil bind, to try and prevent any kind of spring surge.

Overall, I know what was spent on these heads, and I think it was very reasonable for the work done. They are nice castings, even though they are Iron. To get into 2 sets of aluminum similar castings, with CNC ported chambers, bare, Dan would be looking at 4,000 dollars. Then you need to buy valves, figure in another 1000 bucks. He may have been able to transfer his valves over, but either way, it still would have been quite a bit more money to convert to aluminum.

All in all, I think he's got a nice set of heads there, and should see a bit of improvement over what he had, when he dropped them off. Mike at Hi Flow heads proffessed to me years back, that bbc chamber work can provide great improvements in head performance. As you see as of lately, when you look at a brodix or AFR head, what a CNC chamber version does compared to the as cast version, to me its a no brainer to opt for the CNC chamber option, when purchasing those heads, for the additional cost, if full cnc isnt in the budget.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Need boxes to transport them in !!!!!!!!?????

Sorry ,,,,,,couldn't resist !!!!!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]520253[/ATTACH]
Attached Images  

Last edited by obnoxus; 03-13-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by obnoxus
Need boxes to transport them in !!!!!!!!?????

Sorry ,,,,,,couldn't resist !!!!!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]520253[/ATTACH]

Well played, sir.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.