Anybody know the history of the 39 Ocean Express in the classifieds >

Anybody know the history of the 39 Ocean Express in the classifieds

Notices

Anybody know the history of the 39 Ocean Express in the classifieds

Old 05-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmjmotors
You are correct it was a red blank hull, it was rigged in 91-92 and painted white with the green splash graphics. You made it sound like it was repainted recently.
Title reads 1992
Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did not know that part of the history about Ocean Express.

My 25' is an 1998 Image Cat (OE ). I know there where Active, Image, Baja and Ocean Express all built by Ross Sr. I think???? Had not heard of the Express Marine side of things .................................... Interesting story, any more info. Good luck with the boat Brian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. I love my Cat !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I
Originally Posted by brian41
I talked to Ross at length yesterday and he told me he built this boat around 1990 in solid red and did sell it to a guy that rigged it himself. JMJ told me it was an investment group that bought it so that explains the missing part of the story.I now assume this boat was actually a Ross built but was badged as Express when they took over. The part of Express taking over Ocean Express was not told by either Ross or JMJ so this is all new history to me.

I am confident now that nothing illegal went on here and the boat is legit but I am still looking for some history of its time on Lake St Clair.There is clear evidence of a repair (bad repair) to damage on the bottom rear 6' of the starboard sponson with no sign of damage to the inside of the engine bay. Has anybody heard of any delamination problems in this area? I did purchase this boat but have not picked it up yet and I am not worried about the damage I was just looking for some history.
I used this cat for a pace boat at the St Clair race around 1999, back then it was called SPLASH. This cat back belonged to a used car salesman who had a car lot in Marysville Mi. This hull sat for a few years at Rivers Bend marina in St Clair Mi till the last owner bought it. Ironhead is one of the most knowledgeable person about these boats as he won the 1983 Worlds in one of Ross's cats, & his family has had a long history with Ross owning at least 3 of his cats.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The company went from image to express marine to ocean express. During the express marine era 1989 to 1992 ish Ross ran the company but investors owned it they quickly learned that the boating business wasn't for them. Jolly your boat has to be one of the first 25's built i believe that might have been the demo boat. Is it yellow under the paint ? My 25 raced under the name Push-It photos on the oe web site. BTW some of Ross's 39's from that era were Nicknamed Flower Pots they were built very light for use in S flordia if you know what i mean. This could be one of them.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bill63,
Are you saying the 39 I purchased may be 1 of the flowerpots. If so please describe what you mean by flowerpot, to me it means unsafe for anything other than.I was on the front deck and did notice it was a bit bouncy from the windscreen to the front of the tunnel. I went through the inside all the to the bow and found no issues with the coring so I would have to say it would be from a lighter lay up. I also have 1996 39 OE and it is much stiffer in this area. Also what are the issues I should worry about if it is a "flowerpot".

Thanks Brian
Old 05-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Image was never express, Awesome Changed to Image, Get your facts straight, And give brian a break, its a nice boat!
You are WRONG !!! Image then express marine then ocean express. Awesome was never asscoiated with Ross . Call him and get your facts straight !! I am sure its a nice boat if he has concerns have him call dennis biel and have it survayed

Last edited by bill63; 05-22-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Image was never express, Awesome Changed to Image, Get your facts straight, And give brian a break, its a nice boat!
Oh YES IT WAS!!!!!! I raced & rigged with Ironhead the 1986 Image cat MOTOR City MAGIC that Ross built in Algonac. Klems cats were called Awesome or Predator.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody know the history of the 39 Ocean Express in the classifieds-magic-%40-ohio-1986-h2o.jpg  
Old 05-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Registered

JMJ, Good luck with the Drambuie boat this summer !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill, When I repainted it I found stripes on the deck down the middle that went around the cockpit and went horizontal down the sides then went up on an angle to the stern. They looked dark and in three collors. I bought the boat from New Buffallo it used to be Ron Gifts from Pier 33 in St. Joseph Mi It was called WildCat, and yess it is kevlar and light, could have been one of 'those'

I found this from Adam Focht from Glass Daves Ocean X post from 2000, he mentions IMAGE Boats.
Also Dennis Kaiser was also one of Ross' partners back when...........................

I will answer your question with the information that I know. If I have left anything out or omitted anyone’s name then I apologize in advance.
Back in the late 1970’s, my dad (Ross E. Focht, Sr.) ran a division of Active Homes. His boss at the time showed an interest in a vee-bottom that my dad and his brother (Larry Focht) had bought (The Super Banana – a 27’ magnum as I am told it was) so, under instructions from his boss, my dad went to Florida and purchased an old vee-bottom that they first raced – the original green Activator. As my dad raced he met different people, and since his background was in construction (albeit homes, not boats) he was able to lend his talents and learn a lot about designing vee-bottoms from different people (I am told that the main people he listened and learned from were the late Don Aronow, and the late James Beard) My dad was convinced that he could design a vee-bottom that ran better than the one they had so they went ahead and lofted a plug, then built the mold and finally built their own first vee-bottom race boat – again the Activator. My dad saw people’s interest in racing and decided to sell his new vee-bottoms to the public as pleasure boats. It was at this time that James Beard of Cougar of England brought over one of his first wooden cougar cats and my dad went for a ride in it and was convinced that the catamarans were better. Now one thing you have to understand is that at the time vee’s were built of ‘glass and cats’ were built of wood. There was no comparison, the vee’s were stronger and held together in rough water whereas the cats did not. This is where the stereotype that vee’s are better rough water boats than cats started. This was only due to the fact that no one had ever built a cat out of fiberglass. My dad realized that even though cats were faster, more stable and required less throttle to achieve the same speeds as the vee bottoms, they needed to be built of the same material to really outshine them. So, he along with guidance from the engineers at Dupont came up with a laminate schedule and built the first all composite, cored catamaran in the world. The first time they raced the boat a lot of people had their eyes on that cat to see what it would do. When they dropped the flag, all the waiting, planning and work came to its fruition as the Express cat (which later went on to set a kilo record, national title and world championship all in the same year – a feat which I do not believe anyone has since done!) as it was called left the fleet behind and performed remarkably. Over the years many things have changed in cat designs, Skater came along and after experimenting with smaller boats, they looked at my dad’s first designs (PLEASE NOTE THAT SKATER DID NOT COPY OUR DESIGNS, HE ONLY STUDIED THEM AS REFERENCE AS ALL DESIGNERS DO WHEN COMING UP WITH SOMETHING NEW) We like to call Skaters first designs the second generation of cat designs, with our all new 38’, 43’ and 49’ the third generation designs. My dad over the years has had many partners under varying names: Active Marine, Active Catamarans, Image Boat Mfg (which built over 30 cats for Baja Boats), Express Marine, Express Catamarans, Ocean Express, Ocean Express Catamarans and finally today Ocean Express Powerboats. We have almost thirty years of experience in designs and just as importantly laminate schedules. (The main reason many of you are skipping around out there on boats of ours that are over 20 years old) I thank everyone who takes the time to read this; I hope that I have provided an accurate description of the beginning of composite catamarans. And again, if I have left anyone out I should have mentioned, please email me with your story and I will be more than happy to edit this post. Thanks all,
Adam

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Adam Focht ]
Old 05-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Registered

Klems Gems............ I worked on the Peppers boat for years that Dennis Humes raced...... It was a nasty boat...................
Old 05-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jolley
JMJ, Good luck with the Drambuie boat this summer !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill, When I repainted it I found stripes on the deck down the middle that went around the cockpit and went horizontal down the sides then went up on an angle to the stern. They looked dark and in three collors. I bought the boat from New Buffallo it used to be Ron Gifts from Pier 33 in St. Joseph Mi It was called WildCat, and yess it is kevlar and light, could have been one of 'those'

I found this from Adam Focht from Glass Daves Ocean X post from 2000, he mentions IMAGE Boats.
Also Dennis Kaiser was also one of Ross' partners back when...........................

I will answer your question with the information that I know. If I have left anything out or omitted anyone’s name then I apologize in advance.
Back in the late 1970’s, my dad (Ross E. Focht, Sr.) ran a division of Active Homes. His boss at the time showed an interest in a vee-bottom that my dad and his brother (Larry Focht) had bought (The Super Banana – a 27’ magnum as I am told it was) so, under instructions from his boss, my dad went to Florida and purchased an old vee-bottom that they first raced – the original green Activator. As my dad raced he met different people, and since his background was in construction (albeit homes, not boats) he was able to lend his talents and learn a lot about designing vee-bottoms from different people (I am told that the main people he listened and learned from were the late Don Aronow, and the late James Beard) My dad was convinced that he could design a vee-bottom that ran better than the one they had so they went ahead and lofted a plug, then built the mold and finally built their own first vee-bottom race boat – again the Activator. My dad saw people’s interest in racing and decided to sell his new vee-bottoms to the public as pleasure boats. It was at this time that James Beard of Cougar of England brought over one of his first wooden cougar cats and my dad went for a ride in it and was convinced that the catamarans were better. Now one thing you have to understand is that at the time vee’s were built of ‘glass and cats’ were built of wood. There was no comparison, the vee’s were stronger and held together in rough water whereas the cats did not. This is where the stereotype that vee’s are better rough water boats than cats started. This was only due to the fact that no one had ever built a cat out of fiberglass. My dad realized that even though cats were faster, more stable and required less throttle to achieve the same speeds as the vee bottoms, they needed to be built of the same material to really outshine them. So, he along with guidance from the engineers at Dupont came up with a laminate schedule and built the first all composite, cored catamaran in the world. The first time they raced the boat a lot of people had their eyes on that cat to see what it would do. When they dropped the flag, all the waiting, planning and work came to its fruition as the Express cat (which later went on to set a kilo record, national title and world championship all in the same year – a feat which I do not believe anyone has since done!) as it was called left the fleet behind and performed remarkably. Over the years many things have changed in cat designs, Skater came along and after experimenting with smaller boats, they looked at my dad’s first designs (PLEASE NOTE THAT SKATER DID NOT COPY OUR DESIGNS, HE ONLY STUDIED THEM AS REFERENCE AS ALL DESIGNERS DO WHEN COMING UP WITH SOMETHING NEW) We like to call Skaters first designs the second generation of cat designs, with our all new 38’, 43’ and 49’ the third generation designs. My dad over the years has had many partners under varying names: Active Marine, Active Catamarans, Image Boat Mfg (which built over 30 cats for Baja Boats), Express Marine, Express Catamarans, Ocean Express, Ocean Express Catamarans and finally today Ocean Express Powerboats. We have almost thirty years of experience in designs and just as importantly laminate schedules. (The main reason many of you are skipping around out there on boats of ours that are over 20 years old) I thank everyone who takes the time to read this; I hope that I have provided an accurate description of the beginning of composite catamarans. And again, if I have left anyone out I should have mentioned, please email me with your story and I will be more than happy to edit this post. Thanks all,
Adam

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Adam Focht ]
Thanks for your input, Very Interesting! Hopefully I will be running lake St Clair This weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.