Notices

OPA P class boats???

Old 01-16-2006, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: OPA P class boats???

Ron,
I agree the P5 race in Camden was great! I believe Herb in the SOB boat even had the lead at one point??
Old 01-16-2006, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was great racing, Great rev limiter racing, Great lead changes,
Old 01-16-2006, 11:45 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Went from this to this in 1 lap in about 4 minutes....
Attached Thumbnails OPA P class boats???-1-111-large-.jpg   OPA P class boats???-1-137-large-.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 01-16-2006, 11:48 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

After 20 minutes, it was the 4 fastest boats out front and everyone else was nowhere to be found...
Attached Thumbnails OPA P class boats???-1-252-large-.jpg  

Old 01-17-2006, 05:48 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Thumbs up Re: OPA P class boats???

Click her for All Camden P-5 Class Photos

Old 01-17-2006, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Talke About Beating A Dead Dog I Looks To Me P5 P4 Are Where The Problem Lies I'm Building A New Boat I'm Building It For A Certain Class And It Will Pass Any Test You Want To Give It Again I Don't Think Avg Speed Is The Way To Go If You Look At Last Years Races P1 P2 P3 Nobody Brock Out I Only Hope We Can Get Things Fixed Now No At The Race Site

Harry
Old 01-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnS
So when figuring out the top speed of a boat based on "prop calc" I believe the "prop slip" should be addressed when determining bracket placement.
This way everyone is on a relatively even playing field to start with and the better teams/setups win, not the one with the biggest horsepower/weight ratio.
If we know in advance what the prop slips are ahead of time, based on hull type (deep vee, modified vee, single, twin) we can set up our props and engines(cams) to be competitive. The first one to cross the finish wins. There is no way to cheat or sandbag. All deep vee singles have the same slip%, all the "modified vee" twins have the same slip% and so on...
You hit the nail in the head, my 28 Pantera with a four blade Hydromotive has 17 to 18 % no matter what you do to it. Now with the H6 Hydro I`m getting a 12%. Big diffrence, every boat is not equal and P class calculations are done equally and it is not accurate at all because every boat is diffrent. Yes it is the only tool used but it is still not fair for some.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Prop slip is SO hard to get right. Like some of you have said with 3-6 blades its all over the lot. The other problem is X dimension of the drive height. With those 2 variables and all the combinations they have you would have to be a rocket scientists and you would still be guessing. Back to the original problem, its a good starting point until we can build a better mouse trap!

The race in Camden in P5 was great for the front runners. My question to the boats in the back would be did they get beat on skill or speed? I'm thinking all 10 boats could have stayed together till the finish line if nobody could have gone faster than 69 MPH. How cool would it be to see ALL the boats in the hunt on the last lap!
If you think about it and you want even racing we should demand that your boat runs at the top speed of the class. If not prop down if you can. Make sure all boats in P5 can run 69 MPH and no more than 70 MPH. NO EXCUSES THEN! If you get the right prop you can achieve this and then fine tune the throttle adjustment to dial it in for weather conditions. The smart teams would set there boats for 68.5-69 MPH with little to no fuel and then run WOT and hope for the best. ONLY a fool would set his boat to 69.5-70 MPH and pray after he won that it wouldn't break out over 70.1 MPH on GPS.
Happy hunting boys
MD
Old 01-17-2006, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thats why we should "pre-determine" what the slip% are based on one of 3 hull designs.
There are only 3 basic hulls in offshore.
A) Conventional deep vee (single/twin)
B) Modified vee, or anything with a step, vents, pads or shallower than 24 degrees. (single/twin)
C) Cat (twin)
All boats fall into one of these categories.
Say all deep vee, singles use a slip calc of 18% (or what ever we all decide as a group), no exceptions. Our individual boats may be a little better or worse, but it's pretty darn close. It will make for some very tight racing.
Pre-determine the one official slip % for ALL modified vees, single and twins, the same for deep vee, singles and twins. Do the same for cat twins.
This isn't that complex of an idea, and its self policing with a rev limiter. No clock or GPS watching, you bounce off the limiter, your going to fast. The only inspections that need to be done is at the end of the race, an inspector comes over and checks your chip, if any disputes, they pull the coil wire and check prop ratio. Just what they did in Camden, and that was a success. I'm just suggesting we tighten it up even more.
The teams are responsible for setting up their props, chips and boats so the prop calc does not exceed the break out speed.

Last edited by JohnS; 01-17-2006 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

As you can tell I really,really like the P5 class and want the best fairest racing for these guys. IN my opinion they are some of the most die hard racers out there. And you know why I know that?. Its the teams at the lowest classes that suffer more and sacrifice to do what they love to do. We are the guys that REALLY shouldn't be racing because of financial reasons but will do just about anything to get out on the water. My hat is off to all you!!!!!!!
MD

Last edited by TYPHOON; 01-17-2006 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply: OPA P class boats???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.