Notices

Turn markers?

Old 01-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Turn markers?

Is there a better way to identify the turns. As crazy as it sounds that a 50' boat is at turn 1 and not everyone can find it is crazy. I am one of those racer's that gets confused with patrol and safety boats on the course from a distance. Point Pleasant last year was a good example of the problem. Many veteran racers had a hard time finding the pins. At the drivers meeting it looks like you would have to be brain dead not to have a handle on 4-6 turns with 50' boats with flags. To be honest the start finish boat is not always easy to find as well. It seem's there in always a spectator boat or large patrol boat in the same area. Is it just me? Dont be embarrassed to admit it if you have the same problem. It will only make it safer for everyone. I have watched many races where a Supercat has cut the field off by accident only because he couldnt find the pin.
With that being said would it help to have a smoke flair at turn 1 at the start or have the turn boats have strobe lights or fly small hot air ballons with advertisers on the turns. It just makes sense on these 5 mile courses. I know we all have a campus and there used to be navigators but those days are gone. Any suggestions we can propose?
MD
Old 01-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Turn markers?

I'd like to see strobes on turn pins. There is no mistaking a flashing light in the distance.

Last edited by JohnS; 01-20-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about if we light all the turn boats on fire at the start of the race, would that help?
Old 01-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Then we would have the drift of smoke onto the course. The bright strobe lights double up the pins bigger turn boats or a larger flag?
Old 01-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We actually have stobes for all turn boats. They were only used to signify an accident after the turn.

I actually like the idea of flying a small blimp. Wonder how much of a pain in the azz they are to blow up and deflate.

Randy, get a blimp sponsor. Car dealers should like that. We need 5 of them.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,309 Likes on 3,707 Posts

I know we all have a campus [QUOTE]
That would be compass, besides starting on time and doing the parade lap may help as well!!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 09:26 PM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have suggested using modified “High Flyers” in conjunction with the existing turn buoys. These are buoys used by commercial fisherman to mark long line nets. They can be rigged to be as high as 20 feet with pennants and or strobe lights. They are not expensive as you buy the components and rig them to suit your needs..
Old 01-21-2006, 06:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thats what the OPA use`s for there turns.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:58 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Big, REAL BIG Turn Markers
Old 01-21-2006, 10:06 AM
LarryD

the advent of GPS has made this not as much of a issue also now that oss lets us run the course the day before I write the compass headings down than draw the course on a sheet of notebook paper with the headings in black magic marker and tape it to the dash ( unless it is a simple course if there is only one or two hard to find pins I just remember the headings) and the gps is back up we set ours so it plots your course then if you are not sure you can glance down to see if you are on the line.
all that being said turn balls flying a balloon or blimp would be great they can't be too big
however for randy there is a simple solution just follow us we will lead you around the course and while you are at it you can block will for us
Larry SVL#5 wildride

Quick Reply: Turn markers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.