Notices

Destin Again!!

Old 02-24-2006, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Destin Again!!

OSS today announced that beautiful Destin, Fla. will host the '06 OSS World Championships in November (whatever the dates are). Over 40 canopied offshore boats will roar into Destin for rough water racing, the most beautiful beaches in the world, and fans and merchants eager to welcome offshore racing to Destin.

Destin was originally slated to be the inaugural race of the '06 OSS season. But the long-term effects of last year's hurriane season continue to be keenly felt in the Florida Panhandle. Intensive clean-up efforts from Hurricane Katrina are still underway in Destin. These efforts include critical dredging in the area designated as the race course. After discussions with Alan Laird, a prominent Destin businessman, and the city of Destin, a mutual decision was reached whereby Destin agreed to a five year hosting agreement option with OSS that promises unprecedented purses and sponsorship opportunities for OSS and its owners.

Despite intensive negotiations with the Conch Republic to participate in the Key West Worlds in '06 no agreement could be reached. OSS moved forward with its planning and is delighted to add Destin to its schedule.

The first race of the '06 season will be Pickwick, TN May 6-7.

Watch for more exciting news from OSS very soon!

Last edited by Popeyes; 02-25-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: Destin Again!!

Did you say a five year contract for the Worlds? Thanks for the honest up date. Missing the first race is not what we wanted but it sounds like it has turned out for the best by securing a 5 year Worlds location. Thank-you OSS board for your hard work.
MD
Old 02-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stan,
Glad to hear you got things woked out over here. Have you got a drawing that shows the course layout?
Oh yeah - - call me next time you come into town!!
I hope all is well with you and the family.

Alan
Old 02-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Registered

Did you say a five year contract for the Worlds? Thanks for the honest up date. Missing the first race is not what we wanted but it sounds like it has turned out for the best by securing a 5 year Worlds location. Thank-you OSS board for your hard work.
Ditto, Come on Down and Join us in Crescent City for the OPA Kilos
April 3-8th
Old 02-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Registered

IN STAN WE TRUST!

Dan
Old 02-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Registered

Stan....thanks for the prompt update.....

We all know you can't just pick any dates you want....but if there is any change of the dates not conflicting with the SBI/ABPA Worlds it would be great to have the oppertunity to race both Worlds....and I'm sure I'm not just speaking for our team......

Thanks.....
Old 02-24-2006, 01:28 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ScottB
Ditto, Come on Down and Join us in Crescent City for the OPA Kilos
April 3-8th
Scott..

Is there still going to be a boat parade in Crescent City with the KILOS????

Wii there be a formal announcement of the Kilos?? If its firm I will post on Scream and Fly..

I hope to see ya in St Cloud..
Old 02-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Part of the point of having the race on the same weekends is to prove a point that KW isn't the ONLY game in town. OSS has tried since NOV to work a deal with KW to no avail. WE all want to race KW but if it costs OSS teams $10,000.00 each to qualify to race KW it is not worth it. Think about it ......for an OSS boat to race in KW they would have to register the boat for 06=$1,500.00 , 2 in boat crew=$600.00 , two non boat crew $300.00, 2 race entries $2,000.00 , 2 race fuel $1000. Two race expenses=$4,000.00 so thats an extra $8,400.00 before you get to Key West, THEN you have to re register everything in Key West for next season!!!! Those numbers are all on the low side too. I LOVE Key West I grew up there, but I understand whats going on here. The biggest loosers in this are the FANS of offshore racing that have to choose AGAIN...........
Old 02-24-2006, 01:53 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

It's most certainly not furthering the sport , but will hopefully make people take notice that things need to change for the boat counts to rise. For the most part everyone wants to see the sport grow. Sure would be nice to see you further the sport by buying a boat Mark.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mark Mathews
Good Point

Buying a boat for what looks like another dismal year where the teams are forced to choose where to race? Not that interested. I will say though that everytime I eat a salad instead of a cheeseburger and see Randy spouting off on OSO, I am more motivated to get in a boat.
I'll make you a deal on a Phantom

Quick Reply: Destin Again!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.