Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Offshore Super Series (OSS)
Px 850 Class All The New Boats Cant Wait >

Px 850 Class All The New Boats Cant Wait

Notices

Px 850 Class All The New Boats Cant Wait

Old 12-06-2006, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Px 850 Class All The New Boats Cant Wait

Originally Posted by sroman6489
thats f@#$% funny as s%$#........
this is how the sport gets to where it needs to be.
the smaller boats should move up and the bigger boats should come down and the end result should be one v bottom class to run on saturday with 25 boats(busch series) and one cat class to run on sunday with 25 boats(cup series) with qualifying for positions.

the more classes, the more offshore keeps spinning its wheels

hammer
Well said. Build boats for classes, not classes for boats.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

well said ronald
Old 12-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that the OSS Owners made a policy early on not to participate in debates / conversations on message boards, but perhaps it would be prudent at this juncture for someone who has verifiable information on what they are actually doing to make a post here, might save a lot of time. If that is not possible, perhaps they could post something on their website to clarify.

Gregg Reichman
Old 12-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Registered

Speed Racer here, On reason this class has come about is not because of any one engine builder, but instead to allow racers to move up into a bigger, more reliable, and less expensive motor package that offers true talent to win, not just a bigger check book. This class would also allow a SCL boat to move up without buying a new hull, thus keeping your investment down while growing the sport. I really learned allot this year racing SCL. These guys that race this class are the best I have ever seen, and because we all have the same motor, that now can be checked out after each race for data to make sure we are all on a level playing field. It really creates talent if you want to win. But what if these guys want to move up to a faster class but don't want to buy a new boat? There isn't an option for that right now. Everyone agrees the SCL class is the premier class. Why do you think that is? Because everyone is equal, motors last, and its all close racing. There are only two boat builders that support the OSS in the cat classes and that is MTI and Skater. And because the new class would be 37ft to 40 ft. both builders make a 37ft 3in boat right out of the mold. So how cool would it be that you could race SCL your first year, then be able to sell your boat to someone that wanted to move up or you could move up yourself without spending more money on another hull. To me it just makes since, that is why we would like to move up, besides it would make our boat one hell of a fun pleasure boat at that point!
Old 12-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fastandfriendly
Speed Racer here, On reason this class has come about is not because of any one engine builder, but instead to allow racers to move up into a bigger, more reliable, and less expensive motor package that offers true talent to win, not just a bigger check book. This class would also allow a SCL boat to move up without buying a new hull, thus keeping your investment down while growing the sport. I really learned allot this year racing SCL. These guys that race this class are the best I have ever seen, and because we all have the same motor, that now can be checked out after each race for data to make sure we are all on a level playing field. It really creates talent if you want to win. But what if these guys want to move up to a faster class but don't want to buy a new boat? There isn't an option for that right now. Everyone agrees the SCL class is the premier class. Why do you think that is? Because everyone is equal, motors last, and its all close racing. There are only two boat builders that support the OSS in the cat classes and that is MTI and Skater. And because the new class would be 37ft to 40 ft. both builders make a 37ft 3in boat right out of the mold. So how cool would it be that you could race SCL your first year, then be able to sell your boat to someone that wanted to move up or you could move up yourself without spending more money on another hull. To me it just makes since, that is why we would like to move up, besides it would make our boat one hell of a fun pleasure boat at that point!
Fast&Friendly:

You lost me. How would the intoroduction of a new 850 Engine package make it easier to move up from SCL than it is right now ?. If you want to move up from SCL you still have to sell your boat and buy new equipment, right?, either way 750 engine package or 850 engine package. If everyone is running the 750 package, you have parity, it takes talent to win, if everyone is forced to (or chooses) run 850's (in that class) you still have parity, still takes talent to win. The issue at hand, I beleive is why dilute boat count at the supercat level at all when you you just barely have enough in the class now (committed racers whomshow up at all events) to make it an interesting field?? or am I mssing something??

Gregg Reichman
Old 12-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Registered

Hey Randy how are things going, hope all is well and I look forward to seeing you next year. I read your post and would like to reply to some of the comments made, because if I were a sensitive person (like some of my friends in my class) they may mis understand exactly what you meant and I know you are really a great guy.

First, is the moving up, the rules were intentionally written to stop this unless a 38’0” boat was built for parity reason, we would be correct to say advantages would change based on water conditions but there are not enough sites to even the playing field and that was not the original intension due to past history and the 36 Skater.

Second, “bigger, more reliable, and less expensive motor package” more reliable? This is an assumption not fact, less expensive my engine cost between 15-20k the 850 is 65k my rebuilds are 4,500.00 each and the 850 is 25,000.00 not sure what calculator you are using but I would not give that to my CFO he would bankrupt me.

Third, “true talent to win, not just a bigger check book.” I would agree, I don’t think that that Knight fellow is all that great either and we all know the Truck driver has more money than the rest of us. Life’s just not fair is it! I assume it works the same way in Class 1 also? Congrats Steve.

Fourth, “Everyone agrees the SCL class is the premier class.” Yes that is what I hear and after spending 750,000.00 to race in SC I am not sure that was a bright idea, but then again who said boat racing was anyway.

Fifth, “There are only two boat builders that support the OSS in the cat classes and that is MTI and Skater” You are right, there are others that are planning on building a boat but not there yet. Speaking of Support I wonder how much they paid? I would be willing to bet the 4 current teams have spent well over $1,000,000.00 just in the last 12 months I know I have spent over ½ that.

Now that I have had some fun here the real issue is: there are 4 teams in the class that have invested in equipment in excess of 4 million dollars for the show, get along great, and just want to race and have fun. We do not like being lied to, manipulated, or told to spend more money. If good decent people want to race with us we will allow them buy some 750’s and come race it’s that simple, don’t tell us to fund the wishes of others. We may not be as talented as some of the other teams in other classes but the great thing about Super Cat and this country is “no talent and lots of money can get you in the class” and that’s priceless. So go buy some 850’s put them in your boat and step down to our class.

PS don’t take this personal none of us did.

Bob Bull

#3 CMS/Castaway
Old 12-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Registered

If oss allows the 850 how far is the 900 away.

I was involved a little bit with the 40ft rule in apba, with the supercat. I said at that speed 130 no way a 40 would go over without a mech failure.

Now we are making the boats faster: Bad Idea

I also told alweiss dont let the 36 sakers in(fountain mercury): they are faster than the 40's big time.

Just my 2 cents worth.

CM
Old 12-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Registered

Another small side point for current SC Race Teams. The 750 SC Engine does not appear to be very desireable on the re-sale market, there have been quite a few for sale for some time, Sterling and Merc and and they don't seem to bring big prices, and I would guess that most of the teams have at least a couple of sets, one of my friends has 5 or 6 sets I beleive, so a re-power to 850's would probably be a double econimic whammy, both buying new power (multiple sets) and probably struggling to liquidate the 750's to offset some of the cost.

The more you peel this onion the less you like the idea I think, at least that is the way I would feel if I was racing that class.

Gregg Reichman
Old 12-06-2006, 08:01 PM
TeamTaboo
VIP Member

Bingo
Old 12-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

let em go one more year, use the equipment up and then do the change. they might see a slight return for the investment.these motors are great for hotrods in the afterlife

Quick Reply: Px 850 Class All The New Boats Cant Wait

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.