Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Offshore Super Series (OSS)
Uim Out....wppa In!!! >

Uim Out....wppa In!!!

Notices

Uim Out....wppa In!!!

Old 12-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uim Out....wppa In!!!

Class one has dropped UIM as their international sanctioning body. WPPA World Professional Powerboat Association will be the international governing body to sanction all Class one events. Class 3 has signed on as well and the are very interested in working with a US group .

The board of directors at mthe press conference in Dubai
Attached Thumbnails Uim Out....wppa In!!!-dsc00636.jpg   Uim Out....wppa In!!!-dsc00634.jpg  
Old 12-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Default Re: Uim Out....wppa In!!!

What's Haggin doing sitting at the head table...

Will it be AMF/WPPA here in the states

I've always wondered what the value of UIM was to the racers. I could never figure it out, I guess these guys couldn't either.

Hopefully by getting rid of some ridiculous exclusionary rules, we can have some international racing again.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:37 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Catmando
I thought WPPA was Carbonell's umbrella front company for APBA/SBI.
i don't know about that, but this one was created by Saeed Hareb and the IOTA is expected to join after the races this weekend...

below is an article from Dubai this week...

Dubai: "The World Professional Powerboat Association (WPPA) will be a completely new body for all watersports, not just Class 1 Powerboats," said DIMC supremo Saeed Hareb, confirming on Wednesday that Class 1 teams would now have to make a decision on whether to stay on with the UIM or join this newly formed body.

This season has seen more than its fair share of controversy after an embarrassing revelation earlier this year showed documented proof that a representative for the sports governing body, the UIM, had last season deliberately disregarded rules.

Saeed Hareb resigned not only from his position at the beginning of the year within the organisation, but also took a firm stand for the future of the sport.

Now, Hareb has announced a new governing body for water sports - the WPPA (World Professional Powerboat Association) that will be in place for next season.

According to Hareb, "IOTA (International Offshore Team Association) had said earlier in the year that they would like to break away from the UIM after this season."

If IOTA confirms their decision to break away from the UIM for 2007 in their meeting today, Hareb has confirmed that the final two heats of the series will be run under the UIM umbrella in order to finish the 2006 season and start the 2007 season under the WPPA banner.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:40 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another article from the Gulf news...

Published: 24/11/2006 12:00 AM (UAE)

Teams agree in principle on breaking away
By Alaric Gomes, Staff Reporter

Dubai: Class One offshore teams have agreed "in principle" with the formal breakaway from the Union International Montonautique (UIM) from the start of next season.

Saeed Hareb, chief organiser of the last two races in the series in Dubai and Managing Director of the Dubai International Marine Club (DIMC), told Gulf News that all teams are in agreement with aligning with the World Professional Powerboat Association (WPPA).

The teams came to this decision after a series of meetings of the board of directors of the International Offshore Teams Association (IOTA) yesterday.

"I am pleased with what has happened after we met with the owners of the teams," Hareb told Gulf News.

"All the owners have agreed in principle to support the WPPA from next season onwards," he added.

The IOTA board of directors and team owners had agreed to meet in Dubai to try and find a solution to an ongoing alleged apathy on the part of the world governing body in running the world championship series.

The meetings, however, were unanimous that the last two races on the 2006 World Powerboat Championship should go ahead as scheduled at the DIMC.

"We had promised everyone that the last two races will be held as per schedule and we do not want to disturb this," Hareb said.

The board is expected to meet again after next week's eighth and final round of the championship. "We will formally launch the WPPA next week.

"We have some things to work out and that will be done in the next few days," Hareb promised.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Catmando
I thought WPPA was Carbonell's umbrella front company for APBA/SBI.
Close. It's - WPR – World Powerboat Racing Inc.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,717 Likes on 3,788 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron P
Didnt that fade away?? no one has mentioned WPA in the last year or so.

wonder if they will still charge the $150 UIM fee At the superbowl extravaganza

Last edited by Pete B; 12-02-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Registered

WOW this is starting to sound like what happend in the US a few years ago, a few get mad and start there own/new organization
Old 12-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I spoke to Al Copeland in Destin. He was part of the first group to break away from APBA. OPT with JC at the helm. Funny how things go around in circles.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Registered

WOW this is starting to sound like what happend in the US a few years ago, a few get mad and start there own/new organization
The differnce here is it was all of Class one, not just a few
Old 12-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Registered

Talking Re: Uim Out....wppa In!!!

Originally Posted by Ron P
Ron,
It's called.........
THE WORLD PROFESSIONAL POWERBOAT ASSOCIATION
I was HONORED to be asked to join this summit meeting here in Dubai!
They are trying to do what you and I have been saying all along!

UNITED WE RACE!!!!!!!!
If I can help UNITE all the countries, through a shared passion for Offshore Racing, then hopefully diplomacy will prevail!
So why is it soooooooo hard to accomplish this in the U.S.A?
Best Always,
Haggin
www.amfoffshoreracing.com

Quick Reply: Uim Out....wppa In!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.