Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Offshore Super Series (OSS)
OSS Announces 2007 Race Schedule >

OSS Announces 2007 Race Schedule

Notices

OSS Announces 2007 Race Schedule

Old 01-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OSS Announces 2007 Race Schedule

So, did TV coverage or lack thereof, affect the outcome of your sell?
Old 01-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
So, did TV coverage or lack thereof, affect the outcome of your sell?
Racing was a hobby for me, so I focused on multiple secondary sponsors instead of trying to hit a homerun on one company. I didn't have the time to commit to a big-time sponsor(and certainly not saying that we could have gotten one either). One motorsports guy in Charlotte told me that for a sponsor to take a chance on offshore, they would expect the team and boat to be at 8 to 10 functions per year in addition to race weekends. I also knew that I wasn't going to run a full race schedule with a pregnant wife at home my first year, so we took it on a race by race basis.

TV for the secondary sponsors is an ego thing. They can say they sponsored "that boat that was on TV yesterday", but the average Joe watching it couldn't see the damn logo clear enough to make him say "I'm going to stay at the Sun Glow hotel the next time I'm in Daytona."

One of the fun ones was in Daytona 2001. We worked a deal with the Speedpark entertainment park. For a $750 credit at the park, we put their logo on the boat, displayed the boat for 4 hours and sent them a few t-shirts and photos. We took a bunch of the race officials, the manager of our sponsor hotel and some race teams to race go-karts, mini dragsters, etc and had a blast. It didn't pay any bills, but it helped us leverage the hotel deal and take care of some friends.
Attached Thumbnails OSS Announces 2007 Race Schedule-speedpark.jpg   OSS Announces 2007 Race Schedule-sunglowsign.jpg  
Old 01-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,736 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Originally Posted by oldracefan
What are you talking about in the red. From what I understand OSS always got paid.

The balance of what was needed was always via donation from someone with big check writing abilities!! and it appears that the pen has run out of ink!

If fans want a race than, sponsors need to come to the table.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pete B
The balance of what was needed was always via donation from someone with big check writing abilities!! and it appears that the pen has run out of ink!
Thanks for being honest about that Pete.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again it all comes down to the dollar, and for 3 years OSS has raced in st.clair in the red, many attempts have be made to secure the site again, but the cash is not there. All the racers love St clair but from a business standpoint it is not econmical to continue racing there with out the towns support finacially. It would be great if the desire to have OSS there could begin a flurry of fund raisers to help secure the site.
There seems to be a lot of experts on St. Clair out there. I can tell you that BWORA is negotiating with OSS on coming to our race. Money is always an issue. In the past, both sides have fulfilled their contracted obligations. We are working to have another great race.
Steve Brunner
President BWORA
Old 01-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,736 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom1
Thanks for being honest about that Pete.
Its NO secret that a few fortunate have helped OSS to grow, but dont kid yourself that other organizations dont need a few people that are swift with a pen.

Everyone knows very well that a certain boat manufacturer writes a lot of checks,and it isnt just for advertising!!!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bwora1
There seems to be a lot of experts on St. Clair out there. I can tell you that BWORA is negotiating with OSS on coming to our race. Money is always an issue. In the past, both sides have fulfilled their contracted obligations. We are working to have another great race.
Steve Brunner
President BWORA
i hope we return, i have always loved coming to st claire over the years, with some success. i pray we return with the opa guys
Old 01-30-2007, 06:31 AM
Registered

Its NO secret that a few fortunate have helped OSS to grow, but dont kid yourself that other organizations dont need a few people that are swift with a pen.

Everyone knows very well that a certain boat manufacturer writes a lot of checks,and it isnt just for advertising!!!
No doubt about it - but, I was commenting on the pen running out of ink.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Phantom, would that make you happy? OSS is trying to make the sport as professional as possible. Our goals makes it a hard road to advance in a sport that has been beat to death for many reasons. I am proud to be apart of such dedicated people that are willing to put there pen where there mouth is. It seems you have a problem with people at OSS putting up seed money to advance boat racing in OSS. Yes it is the goal of OSS to have racers be able to race for no registration fees and win large purse checks. NO organization has been able to do that yet at this level. It takes hugh risks from people to try different ideas that all cost money that no sponsor is willing to experiment on. There for when you and all your marketing books have not come up with a solution and you post your rolling eye's and leading questions and negitive responses it is not appreciated on this forum. With all your knowledge Im sure it could be better used in the SBI forum!
MD

Last edited by TYPHOON; 01-30-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by racesdad
i hope we return, i have always loved coming to st claire over the years, with some success. i pray we return with the opa guys
St Clair sure seems to be a racer favorite. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Quick Reply: OSS Announces 2007 Race Schedule

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.