Local Paper

Old 10-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Local Paper

By Gary W. Young
WestSide Star
Sun Sep 28, 2008, 07:11 PM CDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools: Email This | Print This
Lake of the Ozarks, Mo. -

LAKE OF THE OZARKS - Miss Geico, outrunning the field with 185 M.P.H. bursts of pure horsepower, won the Offshore Super Series National Championship Sunday before tens of thousand of race fans on land and water.
Floridians Marc Granet of St. Pete Beach and throttle man Scotty Begovich of Jupiter drove the 44-ft. MTI powered by twin Turbine Marine, Inc. T-53s, churning 1,850 horsepower each.
"We actually had to work for this," said Granet following the win at the Horny Toad Entertainment Complex at the 7.5-MM of the lake. "In some ways this was an old fashioned, logistical race because [team] JBS ran a good race. I was happy with the boat's performance, and most importantly we remain undefeated heading into the world championships."
Miss Geico, which ran 195 M.P.H. in Tennessee last fall, was one of two turbine-powered boats to run in this year's OSS national championships. JBS Racing, a heavier 50' Mystic with twin Turbine Marine T-53s delivering 3,900 horsepower to BPM surface drives, finished well behind Miss Geico.
Miss Bud Light, last year's OSS national champions and this year's Lake of the Ozarks Shootout Top Gun, suffered engine problems Saturday and had to do a complete swap overnight to get ready for Sunday's race. That left their chances for a repeat on the lake with Saturday's meltdown, according to driver Mike Seebold.
"We had the best [boat] yesterday," Seebold said following a disappointing performance Sunday. "But, it just didn't come together like we had hoped today. The crew worked all night to swap engines - we're all very proud of the effort they put forth - but in the final analysis, yesterday was the decider. Team Bud Light was the team to beat yesterday. Not today."
Toad Cove, Inc. owner Merlyn Vandervort, who won the right to host the OSS national championships for the first time last year, said the $50,000 purse for this year's race was an incentive to attract the world's fasted offshore power boats. He also said that sum pales in comparison to what it costs to bring the event to the Lake of the Ozarks.
"It cost me seven hundred thousand dollars to bring the race here last year," Vandervort said while watching the races Sunday from his VIP suite atop The Resort and Yacht Club at Toad Cove. "This year it was about four-hundred thousand. I was a little disappointed in the number of sponsors who bailed on me at the last minute this year. But, that's all right - it was a great weekend."
"All you have to do is take a look around and see how many people are at the lake. They wouldn't have been here in the last week of September, otherwise."