Notices

No Kenner race

Old 07-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Randy, you seen the Harrison Race Program sample thread? You are famous!
Old 07-02-2009, 03:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the official status of the race?
Old 07-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Registered

THE RACE IN KENNER IS HISTORY. read what ron saids about kenner and other sites in his thread ("something good")
Old 07-04-2009, 10:16 AM
gcoffshore.com
Platinum Member

No Kenner Race !!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/o...ing-great.html
Old 07-10-2009, 05:33 AM
psmith
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see anything great coming from that crap, you can put on a race in Michican but not in Louisiana or Alabama. This needs to be loked into, now....
Old 07-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

EVERYONE

....if you think it's so easy, you should put on a race, go out and get sponsors, secure a site, get insurance, get cranes, docks, ramp, volunteers, helicopters, trophies, fencing, porta potties.....deal with local govt. , police, fire department, coast guard, & tree huggers

PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW THAT WORKS OUT FOR YOU!!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Registered

Default Kenner Race

PSmith - I like your passion and enthusiasm for a race in Kenner! Why don't you produce a race there in 2010? You know that old saying: If you don't do it, it won't get done.

I was the Kenner race producer last year. Here's what you'll encounter:

1. Graft and greed, from the highest levels on down. And it's unabashed. And if you don't play along, you'll run into every conceivable brick wall, roadblock and obstacle that can be thrown in your path.
2. Media apathy. The TV stations didn't care, the newspapers didn't care and the radio stations didn't care that a race was going to take place.
3. Wretched hotels. (I understand a new hotel has just opened.)
4. Lack of decent restaurants and entertainment nearby.
5. Lack of sponsors - or, in my case, sponsorship money that was obtained by someone and not shared, despite this person telling the sponsors they would be sponsoring the race. The lack of sponsors, more than anything, will break the back of any race. In this economy sponsors are especially hard to come by.
6. Crabbers who sense an opportunity to have their palms greased so they won't complain. (Thanks to Stan and Shannon for providing that grease.)
7. Parish administrators who don't like the city administrators, and vice versa. (Played correctly, that can actually work to your advantage.)
8. Two clueless CVBs.
9. Fans who complain because the power lines are in the way.
10. An air traffic controller who believed he was omnipotent.
11. Racers who don't want to return because Kenner doesn't have anything going for it except a park and a body of water to race on.

There were some bright spots:
1. Sal Cimino volunteered his time and stood in the hot sun because he loves the sport.
2. The Jefferson Chamber of Commerce raised the $15,000 the mayor charged me for renting the park.
3. Gary Knight rounded up most of the turn boats.
4. Karen Patterson helped round up the sweep/patrol boats and med boats.
5. Stan Ware and his brother fed the volunteers every day.
6. Ben Zahn and the Kenner fire chief were outstanding to work with.

I have all of the contacts and vendors from last year's race that I'll be happy to send you should you decide to move forward with a 2010 race in Kenner.

Good luck!

Lou Anne Campbell
Campbell Offshore Racing
Old 07-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by psmith
I don't see anything great coming from that crap, you can put on a race in Michican but not in Louisiana or Alabama. This needs to be loked into, now....
psmith, The Michigan race you are referring to has been going on for years. OSS does not organize that race, I believe the local community controls it and runs it. I'm pretty sure then OPA comes in and takes over for the weekend. That is how it is done with all the race's, every series needs local community support. If you don't have it, then you don't have a race. With race sites being canceled, it is nobody's fault. Bottom line the MONEY is not there, I can also tell you in the past there would have been more race's canceled if some Racer's or Owner's did not write a check. How about thanking them for their support, instead of crying conspiracy.

I'm sure you just read Ryan's post, now dwell on it for a little while and think about how much each item cost's and then double it for your advertizing costs . You have to advertize to justify the dollars spent by your sponsor's on your event. He pretty well covered all the bases, if you feel like you can help with any of those, then contact your promoter and STEP -UP.

Last edited by SUPERCATBOATS; 07-10-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Campbell Racing
PSmith - I like your passion and enthusiasm for a race in Kenner! Why don't you produce a race there in 2010? You know that old saying: If you don't do it, it won't get done.

I was the Kenner race producer last year. Here's what you'll encounter:

1. Graft and greed, from the highest levels on down. And it's unabashed. And if you don't play along, you'll run into every conceivable brick wall, roadblock and obstacle that can be thrown in your path.
2. Media apathy. The TV stations didn't care, the newspapers didn't care and the radio stations didn't care that a race was going to take place.
3. Wretched hotels. (I understand a new hotel has just opened.)
4. Lack of decent restaurants and entertainment nearby.
5. Lack of sponsors - or, in my case, sponsorship money that was obtained by someone and not shared, despite this person telling the sponsors they would be sponsoring the race. The lack of sponsors, more than anything, will break the back of any race. In this economy sponsors are especially hard to come by.
6. Crabbers who sense an opportunity to have their palms greased so they won't complain. (Thanks to Stan and Shannon for providing that grease.)
7. Parish administrators who don't like the city administrators, and vice versa. (Played correctly, that can actually work to your advantage.)
8. Two clueless CVBs.
9. Fans who complain because the power lines are in the way.
10. An air traffic controller who believed he was omnipotent.
11. Racers who don't want to return because Kenner doesn't have anything going for it except a park and a body of water to race on.

There were some bright spots:
1. Sal Cimino volunteered his time and stood in the hot sun because he loves the sport.
2. The Jefferson Chamber of Commerce raised the $15,000 the mayor charged me for renting the park.
3. Gary Knight rounded up most of the turn boats.
4. Karen Patterson helped round up the sweep/patrol boats and med boats.
5. Stan Ware and his brother fed the volunteers every day.
6. Ben Zahn and the Kenner fire chief were outstanding to work with.

I have all of the contacts and vendors from last year's race that I'll be happy to send you should you decide to move forward with a 2010 race in Kenner.

Good luck!

Lou Anne Campbell
Campbell Offshore Racing
WOW ! We did not have those hurdles or walls at LOTO and it is still tough with a great community like Lake of the Ozarks.
I just want to say THANK YOU Lou Anne because I know it's not easy. Race Chairman at LOTO last two years.

Also a BIG THANK YOU to your bright spots. I feel they are the people that make this sport happen. I have raced many years and never thought twice about how it was put together. Just took it for granted that it happen. The stuff that happens at a race does not happen overnight and every racer should thank a volunteer every chance they get.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:34 AM
DriverofDonzi
Gold Member

I agree with Ryan completely.

If race site has been cancelled, accept it and dont give anyone else complaints. We have to face the facts that the economy out there is very bad.

It will come out next year but who knows.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.