Notices

Biloxi Race

Old 04-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Biloxi Race

I know the race is a couple weeks out, is anybody keeping an eye on the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
I hope it does not come inland to the Mississippi coast.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Registered

I talked to some C.G. guys down there about the chances of it hitting the beaches...they were going to try some smalling burnings again...they expect the spill to move North, they also have a few other things in the works....

I'll let you know if I hear anymore....

Last edited by MANITIE; 04-29-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:41 PM
Registered

Wink

i am leaving friday am i work for a big hazmat company and were sending about 300to 500 people plus about 20 boats to deploye booms in the ocean so nothing gets into the rivers anywere down there so i would say the race will happen
Old 05-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Registered

I wish you guys the best, You have some rough work ahead !!! Keep us updated. Thanks Mike
Old 05-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Registered

Unhappy

Originally Posted by innerrage
i am leaving friday am i work for a big hazmat company and were sending about 300to 500 people plus about 20 boats to deploye booms in the ocean so nothing gets into the rivers anywere down there so i would say the race will happen
As a resident of Long Beach, Ms., I hope you are right about the race. We anxiously await this time of year. The race is held in the Mississippi Sound, which is connected to and includes the Gulf, not up a river. In the next 24-48 hours, we will know whether the oil hits our beaches or not, we live on the beach highway. I'll let you know.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:37 AM
87cafe
VIP Member

our congressman flew over the lthe oil spill late sat afternoon,and with the d.e.q, they both said from what they saw first hand it only athin sheen. not a slik and it was still 20 - 30 miles out of the mississippi sound my, therefore its not as bad as it seems, lucky for the gulf coast this oil is leeaking 5000 feet below the surface and it 90- 100 miles south of thegulf coast so if we do see any of this crap i think it will be so broken down, its still hard to say rite now, but if they can continue to break this mess up or cap it off ithink the coast will have dodge aserious bullet,
Old 05-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Registered

I hope you do dodge a bullet.
However, I think if there is any kind of clean up or containment underway in the area, the CG will most likely blackflag the race because they will be unable to provide any resources for the race. Therefore, citing safety as a contributing factor. They will also say that wakes created by the race boats will render the booms unaffective . And lets not forget the enviromentalists . Im sure they will have alot to say about a powerboat race, in the middle of what may be the biggest enviromental disaster in US history.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
our congressman flew over the lthe oil spill late sat afternoon,and with the d.e.q, they both said from what they saw first hand it only athin sheen. not a slik and it was still 20 - 30 miles out of the mississippi sound my, therefore its not as bad as it seems, lucky for the gulf coast this oil is leeaking 5000 feet below the surface and it 90- 100 miles south of thegulf coast so if we do see any of this crap i think it will be so broken down, its still hard to say rite now, but if they can continue to break this mess up or cap it off ithink the coast will have dodge aserious bullet,
I hope he's right, but I don't believe a politician on a normal day, sorry.

Read this.

When real oceanographers are saying the spill has already eclipsed the Valdez spill in volume (last night), I tend to believe a scientist over a politician.

We are fkd.

***edit

sorry to be so negative, but here's something else to think about:
the oil coming out (at 2000-3000psi) contains a lot of sand which is essentially creating a sandblasting effect on the wellhead and other hardware. think about that. the scenario of 60-90 days to MAYBE stop the flow will continue to worsen as the sand wears away the metal and causes the flow to increase.

not good.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG

Last edited by jayboat; 05-02-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:04 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds like this is starting to be a "real" problem
Old 05-02-2010, 11:55 AM
87cafe
VIP Member

[QUOTE=jayboat;3100229]I hope he's right, but I don't believe a politician on a normal day, sorry.

Read this.

When real oceanographers are saying the spill has already eclipsed the Valdez spill in volume (last night), I tend to believe a scientist over a politician.

We are fkd.

***edit

sorry to be so negative, but here's something else to think about:
the oil coming out (at 2000-3000psi) contains a lot of sand which is essentially creating a sandblasting effect on the wellhead and other hardware. think about that. the scenario of 60-90 days to MAYBE stop the flow will continue to worsen as the sand wears away the metal and causes the flow to increase.

not good.[/Q I UNDERSTAND YOUR POINT,AS WE SPEAK THEYARE USING DISPURSEMENTS AT THE WELL HEAD AND ITS BREAKING IT DOWN BIG TIME, IF WE SEE ANY THING FROM THIS AND ILL KEEP YOU GUYS UPDATED, I LIVE 100YRDS FROM THE BEACH, I THINK IT THAT IF WE SEE ANY OIL IT WILL BE SO BROKEN DOWN, I DONT NO WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.