OSS joins APBA

Old 12-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OSS joins APBA

For Immediate Release
December 27, 2010

Offshore Super Series to join American Power Boat Association

The Offshore Super Series (OSS) said today that it has joined the Offshore Division of the American Power Boat Association (APBA). Michael E. “Mike” Mares, OSS Board Chairman said, “We are proud to announce our membership with APBA. This new association will take our organization to a new level of racing and will offer us greater opportunities. We will remain as OSS and will continue to operate as we have for the past seven years. The biggest difference is that our races will be sanctioned by APBA. This new partnership will give our members the opportunity to be recognized internationally through APBA’s affiliation with the Union Internationale Motonautique (UIM). This will also give our members the honor and the ability to be introduced into the Hall of Champions and National Record Books. We will work closely with APBA to help bring the Offshore Division back to the status and glory it once held years ago.”
APBA, based in the Detroit suburb of Eastpointe, Michigan, was founded in 1903 and is the US National Authority of the UIM. The UIM, whose history traces back to the early 1900’s, is the international governing body for powerboat racing. APBA’s President, Mark Weber said, "As APBA rebuilds the Offshore category, adding the Offshore Super Series is key to the rebuilding process, while adding additional excitement to the 2011 APBA National Championship and Hall of Champions."
The OSS / APBA 2011 season schedule is not available at this time but is expected to be announced early next year. For more information on either OSS or APBA, please visit their websites; www.offshoresuperseries.com or www.apba-racing.com The OSS and APBA logos are respective property of each organization.

The OSS is a not for profit association dedicated to the advancement of the further development and growth of offshore powerboat racing in North America.

###
Old 12-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Registered

i'm i the only one that finds humor in this ?????????

OSS leaves apba llc cause the "core" group of racers wanted to make things "better" = more $$$ for themselves.

that basicilly wrecked probably yhe best offshore racing has ever been and now that OSS has 1 race site left there going back to were they originally where. and still no schedule.

there comes a time when you just gotta admit to failure and move on.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:15 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

so does this mean SBI/APBA/OSS is one organization, or has the APBA left SBI?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SBI left APBA last year, but SBI agreed to honor OSS registration fee. Wonder if that will be the case for 2011?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skaterdave
No, you're not.

Looks like we've gone full circle....again.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Registered

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by CigDaze
No, you're not.

Looks like we've gone full circle....again.
Agreed.OSS formed in 2003 as a race team owners organization.This split the sport AGAIN and basically ended the APBA OFFSHORE LLC. APBA OFFSHORE LLC had really taken offshore powerboat racing to the next level.Needless to say, the concept of a race team owners organization failed AGAIN in every possible way;just like PROPS and OPT.OSS never followed through with any of thier original plans .Boat count decreased,number of classes increased,and the race schedule also seemed to be questionable.Quality televsion coverage and sponsors never really materailzed either.Throughout the fallout they tried to work with OPA,SBI,POWERBOAT P1...and now APBA.Nothing personal,but it is time for OSS to give it up.There simply are not enough race teams or race sites to support three or four organizations.The fragmentaion of the sport has been the biggest reason why it has struggled for so many years.There needs to be only ONE ORGANIZATION...maybe someday we can get back to that.But for now,everyone should support OPA or SBI and to try to improve on what we have.After all, how many race teams are willing to support OSS in 2011?Why even bother holding events with so few boats and little or no competition?I cant see how keeping OSS alive can be positive for our sport.

Last edited by waterboy1; 12-29-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,718 Likes on 3,789 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy1
Agreed.OSS formed in 2003 as a race team owners organization.This split the sport AGAIN and basically ended the APBA OFFSHORE LLC. APBA OFFSHORE LLC had really taken offshore powerboat racing to the next level.Needless to say, the concept of a race team owners organization failed AGAIN in every possible way;just like PROPS and OPT.OSS never followed through with any of thier original plans .Boat count decreased,number of classes increased,and the race schedule also seemed to be questionable.Quality televsion coverage and sponsors never really materailzed either.Throughout the fallout they tried to work with OPA,SBI,POWERBOAT P1...and now APBA.Nothing personal,but it is time for OSS to give it up.There simply are not enough race teams or race sites to support three or four organizations.The fragmentaion of the sport has been the biggest reason why it has struggled for so many years.There needs to be only ONE ORGANIZATION...maybe someday we can get back to that.But for now,everyone should support OPA or SBI and to try to improve on what we have.After all, how many race teams are willing to support OSS in 2011?Why even bother holding events with so few boats and little or no competition?I cant see how keeping OSS alive can be positive for our sport.

it keeps the various boating websites active with negative thoughts!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Registered

OSS leaves apba llc cause the "core" group of racers wanted to make things "better" = more $$$ for themselves.

that basicilly wrecked probably yhe best offshore racing has ever been and now that OSS has 1 race site left there going back to were they originally where. and still no schedule.

Pretty much sums it up.I agree.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pete B
it keeps the various boating websites active with negative thoughts!
pete, although i sound negative, the statement is accurate.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.