Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Offshore Super Series (OSS)
New Idea for P5 in OPA >

New Idea for P5 in OPA

Notices

New Idea for P5 in OPA

Old 06-12-2003, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Ed, The only class that has issues as I see it is P5
MD
Old 06-12-2003, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smitty... A couple of the guys have approched me on the side and this is what they are upset about.
In a sense, they are justified in feeling this way.

The max speed for a class, should be based on what the boat can do in its absolute optimum conditions. Forget that average speed stuff, we both know the sealed GPS works. We all know there are a few boats out there that really should bump up a notch. But, as you know, that would have to start at P-5 and up to P-2. Im not concerned about the P-1 guys. I think they are ok.

The biggest gripe these guys are contesting however, is that there are boats in P-5 that are longer than 28 feet. Thus, giving them an unfair advantage over the guys in 24 footers, which planned to come out and race and have a fighting chance. We both know, that to win an offshore race in conditions like we had last week, you either need a larger boat than 24 ft, or a huge set of balls and maybe even a deathwish. I know that, from experience, when I tried to keep up with a 28 footer in snotty water last year.
So, Like you stated in your post, "GET YOUR BOATS READY AND COME ON OUT". Lets see what happens. We know that there are issues that need to be addressed and in time all of them will dealt with. But, alot you guys are complaining about the rules, and your not even racing yet.
So guys, not to be redundant as Smitty has said several times, get your boats ready to race and your issues will be heard.

I say this with all due respect to everyone. Dont take it in a arrogant way. And dont be shy with your concerns. The brass wants to hear them. We want this to work and for everyone to be happy and have fun.

After all, that what its all about.

Regards
Old 06-12-2003, 01:44 PM
Registered

How about this for a new rule in P-5, you need to race in a race before you can *****, Moan, and complain, if your not actually racing don't comment, after all this is the "RACERS" MILLING AREA.

This coment is only for the non-racers
Old 06-12-2003, 01:49 PM
Registered

Lukie, I disagree, This area should be for Racers, Officials, serious fans etc. and if someone who doesn't race has legitimate input or ideas than they should be welcome.I see disagreement, but no real moanig or complaining
Old 06-12-2003, 02:08 PM
Registered

Scott...and everyone else

Lukie's statement may have been a bit strong. And I dont necessarily agree with it. I guess what he is trying to say is what has been said many times over. You can't really make everyone happy with the rules. However, behind the scenes and off the board, there has been alot of discussion about the rules and so called "unfairness" of certain classes. Now, I listen to everyone's input and pass it up the ladder, and some of you have really great ideas on how to make the classes more fair to everyone. However, some of you are looking for certain changes to take place to benefit your team and others like yours, when your not even ready to race yet. If your group of smaller boats, ie: 24 footers were all ready to go, I would strongly "suggest " to the brass, that we run a separate class (call it E) if you will, for up to 25 foot boats. But, from what I can see, theres only 1 24 foot boat ready to go and he is from Md. And possibly the Wild Card Crew who showed us that they can compete in a class with bigger and faster boats. If your planning on racing NJ waters, and dont have a boat yet, I would strongly suggest starting with a larger boat. I have been there and made my mistakes. Its tough for a 24 to compete with a 28 in big water. PERIOD
So why make changes for just 1 boat????

Last edited by BRUCE SEROFF; 06-12-2003 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:56 PM
VIP Member

I already had this conversation with Mark Henderson about a 30 ft. Panther running P5. The boat had a rookie driverand a female navigator. The owner agreed to start behind the fleet, and was just out for a ride. At least he showed up. The boat is capable of running P4, with right crew. I ran the boat myself it runs 72 MPH which actually is P4. However none of the guys running against it in P5 had a problem with him running there so we let it go. When the 24' boats get it together we'll take it from there. The time is past for rule changes. We are now more focused on other issues like sponsors and money to run these races. Maybe a little help here would be more appreciated. Without the money and sponsors, you cant race. I myself had no idea how hard it is just to run one race. Never mind put together a whole series. For the better of all of us. All I can say to you is look at the big picture, not just the end of your deck, and we will succeed. ED
Old 06-12-2003, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cobra Marty:

Your suggestion about moving up if you win two has been brought up before. That should not never be a consideration.
In P5 if a person with a 24- 28 footer, 69mph (true top speed) should happen to win two races and had to move to P4, he would then be racing boats up to 38' with speeds up to 80. Could that possibly be fair. I know I wouldn't want to be moved up.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:54 PM
Registered

The opinion's of mine are solely mine and should not be considered to be the opinion of other people.
Thank you and we shall continue with the thread.

Very well said Eddie and RAYNMAM
Old 06-12-2003, 07:02 PM
VIP Member

Default I Love You Man

Well said Bro
Old 06-12-2003, 10:17 PM
Registered

Folks, on the issue of disabling/hiding the GPS speedo: I'd forget about it. There are GPS units that fit in a shirt pocket, there even is a watch (Suunto M9) with a full GPS inside.

Quick Reply: New Idea for P5 in OPA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.