Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Offshore Super Series (OSS)
Much BIGGER turn markers. >

Much BIGGER turn markers.

Notices

Much BIGGER turn markers.

Old 07-07-2003, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Much BIGGER turn markers.

Its time to really get APBA to buy some much bigger markers. Its way to hard to see them at full speed. I know Tredwell likes looking at his compass as he turns threw a turn at 80MPH but I have issues with it. How much could they be? For the safety of the racers and spectators its time. Why not if you disagree? Any other coments.
MD
Old 07-07-2003, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MD,
Just my .02 cents. I like the size of the buoy markers right now, I think it adds to the skill of offshore racing. Right now, you can't always see the markers at the other end of the course, and believe me, I have missed them. So I like think the additional skill required to also navigate the course and find the buoys is a plus. (WHM seems to find them... Sorry Billy) Last year I switched to a high resolution "orange" shield on my helmet and it made a HUGH difference. I could see the markers at times, 30-45 seconds faster than George. The orange tint really made the markers stand out like a glowing beacon. Anyway, sorry MD but I think they are fine, heck, lets make smaller and REALLY challenge everybody.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:10 PM
Registered

Looks like they need bigger anchors priority 1. After all, that turn buoy decided to leave the Savannah race prematurely. And then the mess started.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:29 PM
sauron

I agree 100 percent. BIGGER BOUYS

Old 07-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Registered

Ben its not bad if its calm water but when its kicking its hard.
MD
Old 07-07-2003, 09:33 PM
sauron

Plus the fact is when the water is as rough as it was in GA you need to be looking outside the boat instead of at the GPS

Old 07-08-2003, 06:56 AM
Registered

I do agree that we do need bigger anchors, first... This is true. I just feel open ocean racing brings many skills to the table; navigation, equipment durability, stamina, nerves, strength, etc.
I agree, making the buoys bigger would make them easier to see, I just think it adds to the skill required to race in the ocean.

PS: Whatever the case, somehow I'm sure it's Randy's fault that the buoys are not bigger...
Old 07-08-2003, 07:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's funny you guys mention this. Before the races last year here in St. Pete, after the boats were done testing, I thought 'what the hell' and took a lap around the race course for fun to see what it's like. I gotta tell you, the first thing I thought was "How in the hell do these guys see these at the speeds their going?"

Do they get any bigger than that? Where would you find them? Not West Marine, I'm sure!
Old 07-08-2003, 07:33 AM
Registered

I agree with Ben, the size of the turn bouys is fine and it adds to the skill needed to race. Remember when courses had 13 mile legs?
Old 07-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Registered

If nothing else SAFETY! Its just plain dangerous not being able to see the next mark when turning at high speeds. What harm would it be? Not many navigators in boats on a 5 mile course. And why is it skill to be able to see your turn? We have plenty of obstacles and challenges on the course.
MD

Quick Reply: Much BIGGER turn markers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.