Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Offshore Super Series (OSS)
Factory meeting a must in Fort L. >

Factory meeting a must in Fort L.

Notices

Factory meeting a must in Fort L.

Old 09-09-2003, 02:41 PM
oui
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peconic, I guess you forgot jumping all over Raidcapt's case when he expressed his opinon regarding the next MD race, that's all....not a big deal, the more we talk about this the better all teams may be, if they want to have a chance at a checkered flag....all F-1 teams should be expressing their opinions and maybe it could come down to some kind of vote or swappijng ideas, after all, we're all in this together!!!
Old 09-09-2003, 08:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Several weeks ago I thought the discussion was (1) how to get more boat back in F1 (2) how to get the boats more equal and (3) how to accomplish this for the least amount of money? Now it looks like how can we convince everyone to buy the 525 engine as we have done.
What exactly was it that didn't sound great about the 496/475 version for around 12 grand, did I hear this somewhere or did I just imagine this. If we had 1engine 1weight & 1 drive how could anyone say that someone else ad an advantage. The powers that be are going to do just want they want to do, and I thank their #1 goal is to slow the F2's down. This all started right after the
Daytona Race, I think Formula has been funning an F2 with the 496 package sence then in the lakes series.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:35 AM
Registered

Eddie:

Right on re 1 engine, 1 weight, 1 drive. The most significant variable left would be skill, and that's what it's supposedly all about.

I strongly doubt that (1) + (2) + (3) is achievable. It's diametrically opposed to 1+1+1.

Something will have to give.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

To answer an earlier post (#16) about increasing the output of the HP500EFI, this was discussed at the meeting in Sarasota. They could increase the rev limiter and get more HP but at the cost of reliability and it still wouldn't be apples to apples. Torque and HP curves, and all that.

I think we've made all the adjustments we need to for this year. We would have finished within one minute of Typhoon in SRQ versus over a minute back in Milwaukee. The weight reduction did help. And with some prop adjustments we might be even closer in FLL. We have done out homework and testing, but never forget that we are a rookie team and are thrilled to be running third. This is a learning year for us.

Next year, if they have one engine, one outdrive, and maybe one weight, then the boat and the operators will decide the outcome. Something else might be controversial but the more constants we have the better. With our experience from this year we might be in front with our arm on the railing listening for our cell phone.

A rookie can dream.

Allen
Old 09-10-2003, 08:27 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I agree with Fastedy

The only thing I would point out is that there has been discussions of slowing down both Factory classes for a few years now, so that's not really a new topic.
Considering the engine choices, I look at it this way...
Who will take care of the Factory race teams the best, both financially and technically ?
1. Mercury Racing charged me full price for my HP500. I paid more for parts off of the Mercury truck than I did at my local dealer, I had to advertise the Mercury Racing name all over my boat and uniform, And I didn't get a warranty !!!
2. GM Vortec takes great care of their race teams at the race site and at the checkbook. The engines are proven and their dedication to the sport and the race teams is unbeatable. A de-tuned version of the HP3 wold be a great option.
3. Mother Mercury has a GM Vortec 496HO Mag that costs much less than the 500HP, 525, or the HP3. I'm sure the 496Mag could be "tuned up" just a bit without losing reliability. In fact, Why couldn't Mother Mercury and GM Vortec get together and make it a joint venture between them? They share the highlight, they both gain the R&D, and the race teams are back to a single engine package!
Just some ramblings of mine, please feel free to voice any opinions or flames.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:50 AM
oui
Registered

Gordo, you might want to put an asterick next to #2......more to come later!!!
Old 09-10-2003, 11:22 AM
Offshore Addiction

you guys havent figured all this crap out yet,other than weights,lenghts,we probally arent doing anything but turn up mud here,Ive been reading all this for a while here and are totally with everybody with these matters,but the facts all stand that mercury cuts a check to the LLC at the begining of each season,GM cuts a check,the racers count is cut back,the entry fees have increased from 350 to 1000 bucks,sunoco cuts a check,and the fuel is now liquid gold,the courses are now all stadium courses,short and dangerous,mercury racing is pulling out,if we go with a new package there is not going to be any 12000 engine package,more like 15-18000 because mother mercury is going to have to cut a check now,and god forbid lets not forget that innovation has to get there hands on something somewhere,which if yall can dream up any figure thats fair and then double or possibly triple that amount,and that like all the other classes that started stuff like this are all now pretty much eliminated! just ask BC what their old E-class boat is now doing! There was alot of contraversy in that class in one year, and now its gone,where's the A-class boats, somewhere between C class back to A class and now doing superV lites tours w/mandatory options being fullfilled by sponsors cutting checks, same with the supercats, all having to have a single sponsor build all theie motors, and only one drive package available, I do love all yall but still enjoy racing together as a family, so lets be carefull here, please!!!!!

Last edited by Offshore Addiction; 09-10-2003 at 11:40 AM.

Old 09-10-2003, 11:34 AM
Registered

I do love all yall

my partner is a redneck

Last edited by ScottB; 09-10-2003 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:46 AM
FtLaudGranPrix

Hey Guys -
I have been reading your posts on this equipment issue.
To prepare for the meeting, and only as a suggestion,
maybe you guys can get to the bottom line and
submit an email form for use at the meeting -
this eliminates personalities, and politics and
I believe it helps stay focused to the bottom line.

If you fill one out for each category of improvement
and email them to Lou Ann, then
you can organize them into a meeting format
and perhaps save time, by dedicating your time
to the issues at hand.

Once you decide which solutions you want to pursue,
you can elect two class reps to meet with your race group
and go over solution oriented ideas that will accomplish
your goals quicker -

Just a suggestion - here it is...

Competitor Analysis Form
(one per conflict/idea)

Name

Email

RE:

1. State the Obstacle/ Challenge/ Conflict

2. How does it effect the

individual competitor

class

circuit

sponsorship potential

3. Potential Solution(s) in order of priority

4. How will implementing this solve the problem for

individual competitor

class

circuit

sponsorship potential

Submitted by

Old 09-10-2003, 12:42 PM
oui
Registered

Factory 1 Class up to 26'11'' any weight, any previous or newly approved engine/ drive package...Factory 1 Class 27-30ft any weight, any previous or newly approved engine/drive package, might get more boats in the class this weigh...increase the prize money and expect sponsors to pony up to the entire class ea. race, this might be a way to increase competition & take the gamble out of spending bucks on new stuff that may not improve you much anyway....I'll get back to you Gordo later, Eddie and I are weighing our options...Nice suggestion Ft. Lauderdale, hope people comply, there's lots of time to accomplish it!!!! My ideas above are only food for thought....what do yall' think??? Sorry, Eddie I didn't mean to steal your Idea....

Quick Reply: Factory meeting a must in Fort L.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.