Metamarine Crew Comfortable After Accident >

Metamarine Crew Comfortable After Accident

Notices

Metamarine Crew Comfortable After Accident

Old 05-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Administrators

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Metamarine Crew Comfortable After Accident

May 9, Malta: During today's official testing session before the Powerboat P1 World Championship season opening round in Malta, an unfortunate accident involving team Metamarine Pignolo 53 occurred, resulting in both team's pilots being taken to hospital where they remain in a comfortable and stable physical condition.

Pilots Massimiliano 'Max' Ferrari and Marco Pennesi were completing their testing session in preparation for the day's qualifying PowerPole session, when their Italian-built, diesel engine-Metamarine hull appeared to rock from side to side. As they turned starboard outside of the harbor wall, for reasons currently unclear, the hull rolled 360 degrees before making slight impact with the break-water. Powerboat P1's safety crews rushed to the scene within seconds and pulled both pilots to safety.

Asif Rangoonwala, Powerboat P1's Chairman and CEO said "Unfortunately, during a world class sporting championship such as this, where high speeds combine with the unpredictable nature of the sea, accidents can happen. However, I would like to commend the safety operation of the medical and rescue teams whose expert handling of the situation resulted in both pilots being safely brought to shore within moments of the incident. I have spoken with the hospital and both Marco and Max who are in good spirits, with Marco more interested in the outcome of the PowerPole session than the extent of his injuries."