Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Offshoreonly Industry News
The U.S. Lucas Oil Outerlimits Team Confirms Participation In Powerboat P1 Final Race >

The U.S. Lucas Oil Outerlimits Team Confirms Participation In Powerboat P1 Final Race

Notices

The U.S. Lucas Oil Outerlimits Team Confirms Participation In Powerboat P1 Final Race

Old 08-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Administrators

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The U.S. Lucas Oil Outerlimits Team Confirms Participation In Powerboat P1 Final Race

NIGEL HOOK TO PARTNER WITH BELGIAN NICO HUYBENS

Undeterred by a dramatic accident in the Powerboat P1 Scandinavian Grand Prix last weekend, the #77 US Lucas Oil Outerlimits team has secured a replacement boat for the 2009 season finale in Syracuse, Sicily, September 11-13. Belgian Nico Huybens will drive with Nigel Hook at the throttles in the Outerlimits SV-40 that Huybens purchased after the US team introduced the Outerlimits brand to Powerboat P1 in the 2007 season.

Huybens raced the 40 Outerlimits with fellow-Belgian Frank Hemelaer in the 2008 Powerboat P1 season after completely enclosing the cockpit; Hemmelaer this year teamed with Pierre Colpin in the #33 Furnibo Fountain while Huybens endeavored to put together a new team and equipment. Lucas Oil's misfortune turned into a racing opportunity for the Belgian.

"It's sad what happened in Sweden with the Lucas Oil Outerlimits boat but I'm glad to help the team," said Huybens, "I'm excited to race with Nigel because he's one of the best pilots in the P1 circuit and knows my boat very well."

Hook is fond of the SV-40 in which he and racing team members Mike Fiore and Joe Sgro won the British Grand Prix in 2007. "The Outerlimits SV-40 is one of the sweetest running boats I've ever raced! My favorite memories are of the 2007 Beligum Grand Prix-and of course winning the Beaverbrook Trophy in Cowes!" Hook believes that the 40' boat is nimble and ideal for the tight P1 race courses. "I'm keen to race with my friend Nico and to fulfill our commit to Lucas Oil and Outerlimits in the ultimate round of the Powerboat P1 World Championships," he added.

Though Huybens has not raced the boat this season, the team is confident they can have the boat set-up and ready in the month ahead. "It will be nice to race again--I've missed the competition in P1 and it's very close in the rankings so Sicily will be exciting," he said. The competition between the former Belgian teammates will add some additional fuel to the Championship bout. "We will definitely aim for a good result In Italy!" Huybens stated, "Our boat is fast and good in either rough or calm water-we'll see what Syracuse has in store!"

The Lucas Oil Outerlimits team is currently in fourth place, 153 points behind its 43' sister boat, the second place #88 SNAV OSG Outerlimits Italian team of Giancarlo Cangiano and Hannes Bohinc. Though the #47 Silverline boat seems to have a grasp on the points lead, the 100 points per race for first place could affect podium finishes for the top five teams, including the 3rd place #10 Cigarette Smash Poker and 5th place Furnibo Fountain. Each team will be vying for first place points in the Sprint and Endurance races and for a podium position in the final World Championship standings. For more information visit www.powerboatp1.com.