Notices

OPA P6 Class

Old 07-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up OPA P6 Class

I am thinking about racing in the St. Clair Race in the end of July. I have read through the rules a few times but still have some questions. Is the top speed for the class 65 or 70 mph? Write now my boat (1995 24' Superboat 454 mag, 350HP, w/bravo1 turning a stock 24" Bravo) only runs 62 to 66 depending on conditions. Will I need to run a rev limiter or will my stock merc ignition be acceptable? I do not have pop up cleats, do I really need to pad what I have? Is an orange lifeline poker run jacket acceptable for P6?

I am hoping all I will need to add is a second kill switch before the race.
Please let me know,

Thanks,
Brian Shaw
RazorsEdge
Old 07-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Registered

Default Re: OPA P6 Class

Brian,
I think your boat will be fine for P-6. its a 65 MPH class. And Poker run life lines are acceptable. you really should get some foam rubber tubing and pad any sharp protrusions on your boat, including your deck cleats and windshield edges. kill switches for every riding crewman is mandatory. I dont think a rev limiter will be a problem in your case either, but Im sure Smitty will advise on that subject. Dont forget tow rope, anchor, working VHF, and fire extinguishers, manual and electric bilge pumps.

good luck and welcome
Old 07-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Registered

check your pm...welcome to the maddness
Old 07-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Registered

Glad to hear it is 65, I should be able to hold it over 60 on the river. I know my HP #'s are a lot lower than others running in the class, I don't know how competitive I can be, but I want to race...
What is a manual bilge?

Thanks again,
Brian Shaw
RazorsEdge
Old 07-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Send Smitty a request for a number. You'll need to send in your registration paperwork ahead of time. The yearly registration fee is $500 for the boat and $100 per riding crew member, or member that wants access to the hot pits. The race fee is zero.

[email protected]

Two kill switches, one for each person and have extra set of caps in case one person goes for a swim and the other person needs to restart the motor.

Like Bruce said, padding and duct tape over all sharp edges, and cover cleats so they won't grab your lifeline should you go out of the cockpit. Common sense stuff. Also make sure the numbers are big (12" tall by 3" thick) and easy to read. Black numbers on a white background is best.

See ya there. Its an experience you won't forget.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Registered

manual bilge pump. in case you lose all power and take on water
Old 07-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Cheap manual pump

Manual pump is a hand pump, in case electricity goes out. You can buy one at Boat US or West Marine
Old 07-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Registered

Smitty here on Boomers screen name. Thanks Bruce and Ron P for picking up the slack here. Welcome to OPA, St Clair will be one of the largest events of the year. Glad to have you aboard. I will be back to work on Wednesday. Call me at 732 920 3945, and we will work everything out for you. The P6 class is growing, I am sure you will have a blast. We will help you in any way we can Smitty
Old 07-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Registered

Thanks again, I do not think I will have time to change out to pull up cleats so I guess I will have to pad them. I believe I have everything else I will need.
I will check with the numbers soon.
Thanks again,
Old 07-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Smitty, Is P6 65mph or 70MPH?
MD

Quick Reply: OPA P6 Class

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.