Notices

Why???

Old 05-29-2007, 05:20 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MANITIE

So like louie said in the earler posts...he his happy and having a great time in P-Class...and so are a lot of other racers...
Correction:
OPA dropped the P last year.
Just so there is no confusion, Louie races in Class 2 when he races in OPA.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 05-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete B
When you bought youre boat did you think it was obsolete, when it came out of the mold??? or did you think you would dominate the Competition??

When the Skater Came out with 6's they new it would be fast!
that was the intent!
I did not know how the boat would run since the bottom was unique due to the built in Arneson plates (which have been removed), in addition, I was only the 2nd Super V to attemp to utilize the #6 Drive package and Rick Turmel was just starting to figure that combination out (the only other #6 Drive SV) . I think it goes without saying that it was always my intent to be competative, otherwise I would not have proceeded with the project.

I must not be making myself clear - or perhaps you are just hearing what you would like to hear.

Most of the Guys I know in Super V are not budget restircted. Most are pretty good setup Guys or have that talent close by, most are passionate about wanting to win - and they have all chosen to stand on the sidelines because they know, not think, they know they won't be competative unless they grind up a boat every 3 months and replace with another.

So at least in SPEC V class, it did not work.

Not everything is anchored to cost - even though you seem to think so - sometimes the smart people evaluate the cost vs. fun factor and decide to play a different game.

If your formula works in SPEC V for your group, where in the heck are all the boats??.

Gregg Reichman
Old 05-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,736 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Also rember when the Skater first came out....it fell on its face in its first race in Key West...it took a lot of money and time and changes to get it faster...which it was disqualified in the APBA race for moving strakes...
With enough money...any manufacture can make a better and faster boat every year....
Is That so!! you will have to prove that!

[QUOTE]Why did everyone stop racing F1....I will bet you even with the 525...if all the F1 boats could only hit a top speed of say...79 or 80 mph...a lot of boats would have continued to race...but why bring out a 77 mph F1 boat when you have to compete with 83 to 84 mph boats....[QUOTE]

one class 3 different motors, this should be obvious!

Pete B....you should know the answer...
Were are all the OSS Super Vee's and Svl's
Hmm A new race boat has better technolgy, and is faster, people dont want to race when they know they cant win!

Its been stated you have the best rules,
Stricted inforcements
Great race sites
Biggest prize money
A non profit group
Race all around the country.....and yet have the smallest boat count since OSS formed in 2004
Take a look at the super series boats in whole you will find the organzation still has the most!

One of the reason OSS SCL is so great is becasue most all of the teams have the newest and best equipment...its either a MTI or SKATER
Stan Ware's boat is a 2004 model and is still competitive, even in 2007. Has he upgraded the boat yes, does he test to get the most out his boat yes!

It show's you even if you have money...you will not buy racers to come out and spend there's.
Racer is a loose term, competitor would be a better term to use, those that truly want to compete step up to the plate, Again Stan Ware had a hull that didnt run so well, but his goal was to be at the front of the pack, there was a skater available and that's what he bought!

[QUOTE]Again its funny...someone posted the other day....in the US a lot of racers don't want to race in P-Class becasue its for the beginner racers....but in P1 in Europe its the hottest thing in the World right now and teams are now traveling over there...
[QUOTE]

Hottest thing in the world, 3 boats out of eleven finished this past weekend in italy. If that is the hottest thing in the world, god help us. What they have is great promotion, and a captive audience, Most Europeans arent buying OL, fountains etc. It is a spectacle to them, they enjoy watching semi's race road course's, Go kart races at major arenas with star F-1 racers. They seek entertainment!

[QUOTE]If spec Class was really all of it...we all would be racing in there....[QUOTE]

here is a classic quote:Again sorry....but we want this boat to be compeditive right out of the box...
DO you know the author??

Thanks...she will be running in the front of the pack soon....and with the teams we are running against in Super V you couldn't ask for better compitition...any of these guys can win on any race day....

The boat handles great....and has great acceleation....which in racing is more important then top end....but we want both...
Will be splashing it again in N.C. after the wind tunnel and we will post the new results...no secrets here...
Thanks for asking...
Wind tunnel testing that sounds expensive

Will be in Ft. Myers this weekend...

All of these posts were made by you. funny how day in day out you flip flop like a politician, saying what you think people want to hear. The problem here lies that, you cant remember who's A$$ you kissed last week.

As for me, I am just somebody that has a passion for the sport, a loyality to my friends, and a camera to catch the action, Here In the GOOD ole USA!

P.S. I wasnt a Navy SEAL either!

Last edited by Pete B; 05-29-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Pete B;2144079]Is That so!! you will have to prove that!

[QUOTE]Why did everyone stop racing F1....I will bet you even with the 525...if all the F1 boats could only hit a top speed of say...79 or 80 mph...a lot of boats would have continued to race...but why bring out a 77 mph F1 boat when you have to compete with 83 to 84 mph boats....[QUOTE]

one class 3 different motors, this should be obvious!

Hmm A new race boat has better technolgy, and is faster, people dont want to race when they know they cant win!

Take a look at the super series boats in whole you will find the organzation still has the most!

Stan Ware's boat is a 2004 model and is still competitive, even in 2007. Has he upgraded the boat yes, does he test to get the most out his boat yes!

Racer is a loose term, competitor would be a better term to use, those that truly want to compete step up to the plate, Again Stan Ware had a hull that didnt run so well, but his goal was to be at the front of the pack, there was a skater available and that's what he bought!

[QUOTE]Again its funny...someone posted the other day....in the US a lot of racers don't want to race in P-Class becasue its for the beginner racers....but in P1 in Europe its the hottest thing in the World right now and teams are now traveling over there...
[QUOTE]

Hottest thing in the world, 3 boats out of eleven finished this past weekend in italy. If that is the hottest thing in the world, god help us. What they have is great promotion, and a captive audience, Most Europeans arent buying OL, fountains etc. It is a spectacle to them, they enjoy watching semi's race road course's, Go kart races at major arenas with star F-1 racers. They seek entertainment!

[QUOTE]If spec Class was really all of it...we all would be racing in there....

here is a classic quote:Again sorry....but we want this boat to be compeditive right out of the box...
DO you know the author??

Thanks...she will be running in the front of the pack soon....and with the teams we are running against in Super V you couldn't ask for better compitition...any of these guys can win on any race day....

The boat handles great....and has great acceleation....which in racing is more important then top end....but we want both...
Will be splashing it again in N.C. after the wind tunnel and we will post the new results...no secrets here...
Thanks for asking...
Wind tunnel testing that sounds expensive

Will be in Ft. Myers this weekend...

All of these posts were made by you. funny how day in day out you flip flop like a politician, saying what you think people want to hear. The problem here lies that, you cant remember who's A$$ you kissed last week.

As for me, I am just somebody that has a passion for the sport, a loyality to my friends, and a camera to catch the action, Here In the GOOD ole USA!

P.S. I wasnt a Navy SEAL either!
Why the cloak and dagger - who are you referencing at the bottom of this post?.

Gregg Reichman
Old 05-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Originally Posted by bidpro
I did not know how the boat would run since the bottom was unique due to the built in Arneson plates (which have been removed), in addition, I was only the 2nd Super V to attemp to utilize the #6 Drive package and Rick Turmel was just starting to figure that combination out (the only other #6 Drive SV) . I think it goes without saying that it was always my intent to be competative, otherwise I would not have proceeded with the project.

I must not be making myself clear - or perhaps you are just hearing what you would like to hear.

Most of the Guys I know in Super V are not budget restircted. Most are pretty good setup Guys or have that talent close by, most are passionate about wanting to win - and they have all chosen to stand on the sidelines because they know, not think, they know they won't be competative unless they grind up a boat every 3 months and replace with another.

So at least in SPEC V class, it did not work.

Not everything is anchored to cost - even though you seem to think so - sometimes the smart people evaluate the cost vs. fun factor and decide to play a different game.

If your formula works in SPEC V for your group, where in the heck are all the boats??.

Gregg Reichman
Having Rick do your setup was a great choice, he is one of the best set up men in the business.

R&D on race vehicles is continous in all sports! i would like to believe that racing on a professional level with what ever organzation, you would always try to achieve more performance.

I dont think everything is anchored to cost but know when the numbers arent producing the desired results, you have to look at where the program is. As for the fun factor it is obvoius more fun to win, but knowing youre playing the game is just as important.

OSS has had the biggest SV class of the year at 5, which wasnt a bad number.

Will it make a comeback?? Are teams willing to step in to the ring with Fountain?? His boats have made a bold statement.

With many former hulls sitting collecting dust, It is good to see some intrest, but there are already classes established for those boats why create another class???
Old 05-29-2007, 07:22 PM
Registered

We are currently looking for sponsors for our race team to go racing OPA in 2008. We have complete race team and equipment in place. Just need some funding to go race!!! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you,
Johnny
Aqua-Holic Racing
[email protected]

Our boat is a little older, but built very well. Tim Sharkey can attest to that, he laid up the glasswork!

Here is a little history on our race boat and team:

Our race boat is a 1995 Hydra Powerboats "Spirit" 30' Race Boat. Charlie Benton was the original owner and he was the engine builder for NASCAR’s Alan Kulwicki’s Hooters race team. Charlie had Jack Domick, owner of Hydra Powerboats Inc. out of Toms River, NJ, to put together the hull. Hydra provided superior craftsmanship and materials along with special designs and manufacturing for offshore race boats. Jack Domick had contracted Tim Sharkey to work on the lay-up; Tim was a subcontractor to Hydra. Lay-up was super light and done right!!! Amazing craftsmanship! Roger Munn owned the mold and he called the design “Spirit”. Roger was also Charlie Benton’s throttle man when he raced in 1995 in A-Class as A-60. Boat ran under the name “Tina Maria”, I believe at first and then later as “Team Mean Green”. Once the fiberglass work was done, the boat went to Kurt’s Marine out of Brick, NJ. Kurt’s Marine did some of the major rigging and cut X dimension, the x dimension is extremely high! I believe after that, the boat then went to “Fountain” Powerboats in Washington, NC. There, Jerry Haney did some more rigging and the wiring. Then the boat went back to Charlie’s in Concord, NC where he built the motor and the rest of the rigging was complete. The motor then was a 468/850HP dry sump A-Class motor. The boat then went to Mercury Racing’s Lake X for testing and dialing in. I bought the boat from Charlie Benton in 2002. Soon after that my wife and I had our first baby, so I gave up racing for a bit. I never raced this boat; I bought it to replace my 24 Baja Outlaw that I used to race as P5-69 under the name Team Baja/Full Throttle. Now my daughter is 3 & my boy is 2. We are done having kids and its time to get back into offshore boat racing! So I am getting the boat together now for the 2008 season. I have a very small budget, so it will take some time and help. Plan to run in OPA Series as P-Class boat in 2008. Boat has a very light lay-up, around 4900lbs, might be more lbs after new cockpit configuration and other improvements. Motor is at Wally’s Precision Machine Racing Engines out of Chester, VA. New motor is to run on pump gas, 91 octane. The block is a GM Bow Tie 4-bolt main tall deck-100 over 454 (475CI), will be a fixed/mechanical roller cam, the heads are Reher-Morrison Brodix aluminum CNC ported heads and some additional port work done to the exhaust with a little clean up work done to intake, using Crane Gold racing full roller rockers, oiling system is a Weaver dry sump system with Weaver pump and tank & Mercury Racing SC1000 oil pan, the crank is a LA Enterprise Kryptonite stock 454 length, the rods are Carrillo Rods little longer then stock length (but not stroked) SRP Pistons flat tops at 8 to 1 comp, The Blower Shops 871 with Teflon in the rotors, intake is port matched with Keith Eickert Performance Products intercooler with Cupro-nickel core, 2 Nickerson Performance Marine 980 cfm Blower Carbs, Fluidampr Harmonic Race Balancer, Jesel belt drive system, Keith Eickert Dual Stage Extreme Raw Water Pump and water crossover setup with 2 Keith Eickert sea strainers, offshore water pickup & out drive pickup, MSD 7ML-2, MSD Pro Power Coil & MSD Marine racing distributor, Presolite alt and Tilton starter, CMI Comp SS big tube headers with 4" w/ dry pipes, complete Imco Xtreme Advantage SC1000 drive w/ 1 1/4 “ prop shaft & Mercury Racing HD gimble housing, we will have a Throttle-Up CNC 5 or 6 blade prop recommended by Matt & Julie. We are working with them now, just need the dyno sheet once the motor is done and the boats new weight to give them. Chris Dann, formerly of “Fountain” Powerboats in Washington, NC, who is now working out of Tappahannock, VA along with Thomas Carneal of Tappahannock, VA are doing the rigging of the new motor and the cockpit reconfiguration using PPI high back race seats. Chris Dann will be the crew chief for Aqua-Holic Racing. Johnny Harrison and Thomas Carneal will flip a quarter to see who will be the wheelman and who will be the throttleman.

We are currently looking for sponsors for our race team to go racing OPA in 2008.

Last edited by johnnyoffshore; 05-29-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Registered

Talking

Back to the real point Why???????? look how many pclass racers are looking for sponsors, good luck, no tv ,small markets and a potpourri of boats in numerous classes. No one is interested in sponsoring a barbeque. I am not knocking opa just stating the facts all racers face, at this point it is the chicken and the egg story until One organization breaks through with Quality TV and a race that keeps fans interested sponsors will continue to be few and far between. Mike A knew it and was on the right track his plan was to eventually have four or less classes and to race on sunday you had to fit those classes, racers were buying boats to fit those classes for the chance of tv coverage and sponsors and racing that fans could follow,and it was working until the enevitable blow up. I raced pclass and have watched pclass races and you usually can't tell who is racing who let alone who is winning unless amf is there in the turbine. So honetly how will that grow into a paying sport...........its great fun but How/? is the bigger question its all about the money, why is oss boat count down take alook it is mainly the smaller classes svl 5 guys don't have the time or ran out of money, COB same deal or other ventures, SV to many if I can't win why spend my money, some won't run long enough to let parity help so now you think a slow vee class will get them racing , maybe once if they lose back to the moth balls. So HOW do we get money back in racing so racers continue to race is the real question? That it is worth taking the time to race and have sponsors to help new teams get out there. We all know the answer even if we don't like it, less classes with 10 -20 boats and yes only one guy can win, that will attract fans, provide quallity tv and sponsors would follow. A bunch of boats bouncing around the ocean isn't it, a five spec boat class isn't it so until we get it together we are all just moths to a flame until the money runs out.....................
Old 05-30-2007, 08:56 AM
Registered

Hey Pete...or should I say BS...or how else writes for you...

I say this becasue we have always have had discussions without the BS you are writing...

But lets see...

What happend to Skater when they first brought it out in Key West...well everyone sen what happend...so there is that answer...

F1...with 3 engines...it already had 2 engines when I got into it in 2000...the 500 carb and the the 500 efi...

So your comment on why OSS has no SV's is " becasue tech is faster and no one want to compete with him....
same as the 525 in F1...see same thing...same results...

As far as OSS having the biggest Class in Offshore in SCL...
thats great...I tought OSS was about Offshore as a whole not just one Class...the point was...since OSS is run by racers..they of all people should have the biggest count in all Class's since they started...not having less boats then when they started in 03....
The comment was made to the thread which is why are racers not moving to spec class...and I am responding to it...

Your comment to Stan W. boat is simple....how much money has Stan W. spent in testing and changes since 04....
We spent 80k in 6 months....with changes...so because Stan has a 04 boat and again...there is only MTI and Skater..and they are make no drastic changes in there boats every year...
I'm sure Stan has put in some big money to keep his boat up front...cost money...

As far as windtunnels testing...why did we not get to it...simple...we had the boat at Doug's shop for a long time and Langley is up in Va.
Its called sponsorship...the wind tunnel cost over 40K for the day....it was free for us for a program I put together...which I can still bring the boat to Langley today to use it...

and lets see...P1 in Europe...19 boats in 2 Class's
OSS 19 boats in 7 Class's
I did not know if 10 boats start a race and only 3 or 4 finish that is not a good Class...so now we judge class's not by how many boats start a race but how many finish...

and yes ...we made it to Ft. Myers race...that's right a OSS race..and Gary B. will tell you since I only got the boat a day before the race...we were still making changes...and even though the boat was 10 mph slow then most we still raced...to support another Organization....but as a lot of us are seeing racing in some Organizations to help Offshore as a whole is not worth it.....some Orgs have chased away racers...don't ask me ask them...

and this is why I know Pete did not write this...

Pete you can call it flip flop or what ever...
I race in 3 Organizations last year...paid all equip fees and entry fee's
were is that flip Floping...I'm supporting every Org.

Just thing...if eveyone Flip Flop as you put it...last year every Org. would have had a bigger boat count...

Why is it Pete that OSS racers...and this is spec Class racing...
are either racing with other Orgs tis year or not racing at all...
I was told that the OSS racers have money and if I didn't have the money to race in Super V...then maybe I should not be racing at all...that came from a OSS board member...
and yet I'm still racing and supporting OPA and SBI/APBA and having fun while some of the so called big money racers in a certain Orgs boats are sitting on trailers...

Again...Pete or who ever this is....I'm still racing since I started in 2000....7 years straight....what have you done for the sport in the last 7 years.....as a racer.....
I asked that question to a OSS board member who always is trying to put down other racers......
tell me Pete which is better for the sport...a racers who has been racing since they started 7 years ago and supporting all Orgs or someone on the side lines just trying to put down racers....

Pete this is one of the reason even some of the OSS racers not to mention some OSS board members don't like with some of the side line guys that rep OSS are saying...

again Pete...here I am..racing another year...trying to get the boat count up...taking my own time working with other teams to get them to come back OUT to race...and even using my money to do it....

So Pete....keep working on your side in the OSS camp...and I will keep working with the racers in OPA and SBI/APBA...
and you should buy a boat and help support the OSS boat count....its funny how people who dont even own a boat like to tell racers who do how and were we should spend our money....and time......

Sorry...I called it P-Class racing...I should have used Class or bracket racing....sorry louie...

Vin...I agree....good TV and a set schedule is a hudge part of it....you can not get a big tv show without a set schedule up front....and yes...its is so much esier when you can go to a sponsor and show them the TV production and how may homes they go into....

Last edited by MANITIE; 05-30-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Registered

Johnny,

You will see the Baja is a great boat..I had a 24, 29 and 33 Outlaw....they are good rough water boats...and the Joker boat was a Baja when they started racing in P5...

Good luck in 08...
Old 05-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

[QUOTE][Hey Pete...or should I say BS...or how else writes for you/QUOTE]

As always youre Quotes are priceless!

tell us about your navy seal adventures! OPPS forgot they are Classified!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.