can a 24 twin o/b compete >

can a 24 twin o/b compete

Notices

can a 24 twin o/b compete

Old 01-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can a 24 twin o/b compete

Can a 24 banana with twin ob be competitive in any of the p class races? I was looking into restoring an old Banana Race boat but am concerned that a 24 that tops out at 75 will be to slow in class P5. I will have to run in the corners just to keep up. I can't run it in p6 where it belongs because they only allow single engines. I am new to racing so any help would be great here thanks.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:55 PM
Racer
Racer

Default Re: can a 24 twin o/b compete

I'm pretty sure there is a class for you, go on the OPA site. And there are some numbers to call, Smitty is the man to talk to. If I speak to him I will mention your thread to him.

Louie
Old 01-16-2007, 10:57 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: can a 24 twin o/b compete

Originally Posted by oldschoolfan
Can a 24 banana with twin ob be competitive in any of the p class races? I was looking into restoring an old Banana Race boat but am concerned that a 24 that tops out at 75 will be to slow in class P5. I will have to run in the corners just to keep up. I can't run it in p6 where it belongs because they only allow single engines. I am new to racing so any help would be great here thanks.
I would contact OPA regarding the placement of a 24FT Banana with twin outboards in Class 5 or Class 6.Even though there are guidelines in place; there are always boats that are unique enough that a judgement call has to made on where to place them.For instance,there are a couple small cats that are racing in Class 4;the rest of class in comprised of mainly twin engine open cockpit vees.The cats in question would really not be competitive at all in Class 3, so they were placed in Class 4.The rest of Class 4 does not seem to have a problem with this,and if they did;they have the right to protest.I would assume your boat would be set up with twin 200hp motors; right?If the boat's prop calculation is right around 70mph, you could ask to be placed in Class 6.If you planned on running twin 2.4 or 2.5 motors you would likely be required to run in Class 5.The 30FT Superboat "Specialized Racing"with twin 2.4's is very competitive in Class 5.I am sure OPA would also want to discuss this situation with the current Class 6 teams .I would imagine the boat you are looking at racing is either "Team Banana",Spoiled Banana" or "Gone Bananas".The number of teams competing on the OPA circut continues to grow;the racing is very competitive and alot of fun.The friendship among the teams is great as well.One race and you will be hooked.Sure hope to see you on the circut this season!
Old 01-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input so far. I will cntct opa and see what they have to say as well.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

by the way welcome aboard. you will have the most fun of your life racing with this group. count on some great compitition wherever they place you.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by oldschoolfan
I would not worry much about running her in #5 I'm looking into running a 25ft twin O/B in #5 next year also. (Or at least this week I am.. I'm still looking for a "cheap" race boat )
Old 01-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Rick, whats your budget? Just how cheap are you looking for?
MD
Old 01-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Rick, whats your budget? Just how cheap are you looking for?
MD
What do you have? shot me a PM when you have a chance.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I think a 24' with twin 200 OB's would be acceptable in class 6 as long as the prop calc works out.
I'm thinking about stepping up, any interest in a 24 Sunsation race boat? Pics are on www.Sharkeymarine.com P6-6 "Lock'd Up"
22,000 complete, 18,000 w/o engine.

Last edited by Fast Shafts; 01-17-2007 at 01:56 PM.