Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > OPA/The Jersey Boyz
Class 5 Question? >

Class 5 Question?

Notices

Class 5 Question?

Old 06-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True, good point. Randy is a racers racer for sure. But saying a blower motor in Class 5 will create problems, is like saying a race only canopy boat in Class 5 will create problems, same line of thinking. 75 mph is 75 mph. We want to race class 5 because we are a very low budget blue-collar race team and can’t afford to push the equipment to the breaking point. I am sure if we swap pulleys and turn up the boost and rpm’s we can run Class 4 or 3, but just thinking of cost of higher octane fuel, more stress on parts, etc. Like I said, we are a very low budget blue-collar race team and just want to run what we brung & have FUN!

Last edited by johnnyoffshore; 06-03-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by johnnyoffshore
I am sure we can turn the wick up and get to 85 mph out of her for Class 4 and give those race only OSS SVL style canopy boats a run for their money!

Bring it on

I think its kewl how USAuctions.com, Team Jersey Boyz, R&S Twin Screws finished 1, 2, 3 in points in open cockpit boats over some of those Race Only Canopy OSS SVL style boats. Kind of gives the pleasure boat/stock racing style owners something to cheer for like Pro Stock drag racing cars. Fans can relate to them.
First off, the SVL boats only ran two races last year. Most of the teams you mentioned ran almost every race.

Secondly, If you think you can keep up with a twin engine 38 or 34 with a single engine 30, I applaud you.

Its not an easy task....believe me.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
Rick..I wouldnt be so quick to speak. 30' 4" then 30'6" then 32'. Where does it stop?

and to add insult to injury with a blower motor???? I dont know bout that.

I strongly suggest both of you speak with OPA. your boats will create problems with the P-5 class.
Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
Secondly, If you think you can keep up with a twin engine 38 or 34 with a single engine 30, I applaud you.
30'4" with single engine blower motor remember?

Last edited by johnnyoffshore; 06-03-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by johnnyoffshore
True, good point. Randy is a racers racer for sure. But saying a blower motor in Class 5 will create problems, is like saying a race only canopy boat in Class 5 will create problems, same line of thinking. 75 mph is 75 mph. We want to race class 5 because we are a very low budget blue-collar race team and can’t afford to push the equipment to the breaking point. I am sure if we swap pulleys and turn up the boost and rpm’s we can run Class 4 or 3, but just thinking of cost of higher octane fuel, more stress on parts, etc. Like I said, we are a very low budget blue-collar race team and just want to run what we brung & have FUN!
So what you are saying is you have a boat that can probably run 85 or possibly 95, but you dont want to run those speeds because you dont want to break the boat. So you run class 5 and prop down to 75. Sorry....thats not racing, thats poker running.

Racing should be about hangin it out to the limit to win.....not sand bag and dominate the class.

Sorry, if I come off as a hard azz, I dont mean to be. but In my opinion thats just not the way it should be. The classes were set up 2 years ago. You had plenty of time to research them and put your boat together accordingly.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Registered

It is not propping down or sand bagging, by far! We set up for Class 5 & 75 mph top speed and put our boat together accordingly and that was what we were setting up the boat to run.

The thread was about the 30’ rule for Class 5. We believe we have a true 30’ boat. Were not 100% sure, since we do not know of any other 30’ Hydra Powerboats, since it was a kind of one of by Hydra using that 30 mold. So we measured our race boat from the very tip of the most forward front rub rail edge, to the very back edge of the transom’s furthers point on the rub rail. That is the longest over all measurement we came up with and it was 30' 4". Take off the rub rail and it is 30’ even! That was the question we had and the reason for this thread. Rules are rules and I will stand by whatever Smitty says. I have emailed him and pm him. Once he gets back I am sure he will clear up how boats are measured.

You came in with the “to add insult to injury with a blower motor???? I don’t know bout that. I strongly suggest both of you speak with OPA. Your boats will create problems with the P-5 class.”

So, that being said, now I have to find a way to move up to Class 4 to be legal, right?! So, now I have to twist the motor with more boost, over drive pulleys and more rpm’s! It is not sand bagging, it is what we planned and set the boat up for! Single engine, open cockpit, V bottom boat, on pump gas (87-89 octane), max 6000 RPM’s, 1.5 gear ratio, 22 pitch 4 blade Bravo I prop. Do the math, its 75 mph at best!

Last edited by johnnyoffshore; 06-04-2007 at 04:00 AM.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Registered

Seems like you have it all figured out. Good luck, have fun and be safe.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:06 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking

Sounds like if you need to run Class 5 then all you need to do is remove the rubrail....
I didn't think they included bolt on pieces in the measurements.
Always thought it was the measurements of the glass as it came out of the mold.

Check for clarification if you must....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 06-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The yellow 29 Warlock with a blower had to run class 4, You should talk to Smitty when he gets back, I wouldn't think the 4" is as much a problem as the blower.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Rules are rules,stick to them or everyone will be looking for exceptions.Run the boat where it belongs,like Bruce said and believe me sometimes it is tough to accept but if they do not stick to there guns it will create more and more issues.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by fastedy
The yellow 29 Warlock with a blower had to run class 4, You should talk to Smitty when he gets back, I wouldn't think the 4" is as much a problem as the blower.
it was put in four based on prop calc i believe.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Quick Reply: Class 5 Question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.