Class 5 Cambridge  all teams read this >

Class 5 Cambridge all teams read this

Notices

Class 5 Cambridge all teams read this

Old 09-16-2007, 08:35 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Class 5 Cambridge all teams read this

Friday afternoon between 3-4 Anthony and I are going for some boat rides. We will test EVERY SINGLE boat in class 5. Be in the water ready to go by 3pm. 74.999 Bring lots of props and lots of chips. It is up to you to have what you need to make your boat legal. If we cannot get your boat to run within the limits of the class, Up you go. Say hello to Mr Simmonds. You have had all season to work on your setup. There is no current in Cambridge. No Full Moons, No Luner Eclipses, and no excuses. Smitty
Old 09-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Not starting anything but after talking to several teams no one knows why there is a need to check prop size or boat speed. Who cares is the point. Its more inspections,time and in some cases a feeling of being a whiner if you protest. If you breakout its all over end of story period. What advantage would you possibly have by running a oversized wheel when in this style of racing its all about excellaration.
I would propose each boat have a secondary GPS on there boat as a back up in case the first one broke or didnt read. But not as 2nd opinion if your first one showed you broke out. This would eliminate the case of what to do if someones GPS failed. Also testing peoples boats in rivers with currents is close to imposable to be fair and accurate.
Is this something that is open for discusion in class 5? Just trying to make it more fair and easyer for all involved.
If you are in class 5 and running a 80 MPH prop you have not been doing this real long or just dont understand the theory of running at a higher RPM for max excelaration.
MD
Old 09-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Not starting anything but after talking to several teams no one knows why there is a need to check prop size or boat speed. Who cares is the point. Its more inspections,time and in some cases a feeling of being a whiner if you protest. If you breakout its all over end of story period. What advantage would you possibly have by running a oversized wheel when in this style of racing its all about excellaration.
I would propose each boat have a secondary GPS on there boat as a back up in case the first one broke or didnt read. But not as 2nd opinion if your first one showed you broke out. This would eliminate the case of what to do if someones GPS failed. Also testing peoples boats in rivers with currents is close to imposable to be fair and accurate.
Is this something that is open for discusion in class 5? Just trying to make it more fair and easyer for all involved.
If you are in class 5 and running a 80 MPH prop you have not been doing this real long or just dont understand the theory of running at a higher RPM for max excelaration.
MD
try that spell check thing,it works
Old 09-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
MD
Randy,

Let me say right up that my opinion of props and chips is a flawed way of racing. You know I started in F1 were parity was the name of the game and you had to show your talent and skills to win.

Now you have a large disparity of torque and HP in boats running in the same class. I don't get it. You use the extra HP and blow through the turns and gain a huge acceleration advantage getting back up to 74.99 MPH. Pretty soon you going to have a 1800 HP blower motor running class 5.

My view of racing is dialing in to run as fast as you can, fitting in a class of similar boats, and showing what you and your team mate can do. This watching the GPS so you don't break out seems absurd.

Jim
Old 09-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Registered

Jim....while bracket/GPS racing may seem obsurd to you, it seems to be the only way most of these teams can have a place to race. If we didnt have it, there would be alot less boats on the race course, and alot of good people out there who would never get the opportunity to live their dreams of racing an offshore race, and the sport would never grow to where it is now. BH tried to resurrect F-1 and there were no takers. So this is the next best thing. If you want a level playing field to hone in your skills, run OSS. For now, this is the best we can do. Its not perfect, but its something and everyone seems to be enjoying it. Additionally, the big power boats are not always winning either. They are older, heavy conventional Vees and need that much more power to be competitive. They also break that much more often. So, until we come up with something better, without adding 5 more classes, it is what it is. Let's make the best of it.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Registered

Bruce your points are all valid. But why not move the guys up to an appropriate class instead of letting them prop down & use chips? I'm talking about 85 MPH boats running in a a 75 MPH class. If the best you can run is 80 then sure, prop down. That helps maintain parity in bracket racing. If your best speed is over 80 then your in class 4. Your thoughts?

Jim
Old 09-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Registered

First off, Im not sure many of the class-5 boats are really capable of 85. Maybe 80-82 at best. And thats hangin it out. If they were bumped up to class 4, they would be forced to run against bigger boats with twins, and would have little or no chance of being competitive, and would then hang it up. Its hard enough for us in a SVL to compete in class 4 and thats with a roof over our heads. You cant bump these guys up. Its not safe and obviously will not be fun. I think the class 5 fleet is gettin it together as best they can. They talk to each other and OPA in efforts of making it as fair as possible. But like I said before. Unless you add 5 more classes, its the best we have for the time being. Plus, it makes for some exciting racing. I enjoy watching them battle it out almost as much as I did when F-1 was at its peak.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Registered

I think you pick your setup seal the hatch so no Chip change is possible. All boats should remain in water to verify props.Look for the bypass switch on the revs Keep it clean.and it gets closer to competion. Also if a boat can run 77
mph let him it will be their demise. I can't run 85 and if forced to run P 4 I might as well not show.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Registered

Bruce my point is exactly what you said "capable Speed" Boats should be classed based on what they are capable of. I took a look at the OSS results for SVL and all SVL light boats should be in class 4. As a group you were a little under 85 MPH in Biloxi, a little over in Pickwick. In class 4 you still have something to motivate you to improve and race harder. If you drop to class 5 you can keep and eye on the GPS. After a couple of races what satisfaction do you get from that?

Jim
Old 09-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Last edited by F1-00 Racing; 09-17-2007 at 12:27 AM. Reason: cant find a delete button anymore??

Quick Reply: Class 5 Cambridge all teams read this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.