GPS readings???? >

GPS readings????

Notices

GPS readings????

Old 02-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
Default GPS readings????

Is there any room for improvement on how we are reading the GPS systems at a race. I would suggest possibly having it done in public and printing each as it is being downloaded. Also a master sheet for everyone to be able to read everyones. I think the way we are doing it leaves some people to question the results. Being up front with all teams to see would clear up any of those feelings.
Also Im still not sure why we cant run 2-GPS units in our boats and only hand in one unit to be read. The second can only be read if the first has no data on it period! That would also help save some teams from a sure DQ if there was no info. or your battery died or your antenna broke ect. There has been teams that have traveled and raced hard to only get DQed for not having info on there GPS.
Just 2 thoughts to only make things better. Does anyone else have thoughts or opinions on this.
MD
Old 02-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel the public display of the gps readings would be a show of no favoritism or questions. And also tell how accurate the onboard gps that is used to keep us from breaking out is. I don't feel there is any questions of cheating or anything like that, just that some guys have there boat dialed in just right and can drive it right on the limits.

As for having 2 onboard units well that is part of the prep of the boat. It's just like having a fuel pump die or not having enough fuel in it to start with.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
I would suggest possibly having it done in public and printing each as it is being downloaded. Also a master sheet for everyone to be able to read everyones. I think the way we are doing it leaves some people to question the results. Being up front with all teams to see would clear up any of those feelings.
I asked that last year at NJ. I dont see that being a problem I would like to verify how close to the numbers we ran, this information clould be used to help set up our boat for the next round.

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Also Im still not sure why we cant run 2-GPS units in our boats and only hand in one unit to be read. The second can only be read if the first has no data on it period! That would also help save some teams from a sure DQ if there was no info. or your battery died or your antenna broke ect. There has been teams that have traveled and raced hard to only get DQed for not having info on there GPS.
MD
It's your responsibility to be sure your battery is charged and antenna is hooked up in a solid area, just like its your responsibility to be sure you have Gas in your boat and the nuts and bolts are tight.

But if your team has the extra $$$ a second GPS would be a good safety net incase the unit does malfunction no fault of your own.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Registered

Rick, I have seen more teams have problems with there GPS than any other part on there boat. Many teams are running around looking for parts or a spare part for there GPS before a race. The other option would be OPA has a supply of parts on hand at the race for sale. That would be a pain in the a$$ for someone. If you can afford a second unit that would be your own insurance policy.
I have been DQed for my GPS not working in Cambridge. Also had an issue in the worlds in Destin and both had nothing to do with me not having the equipment required by OPA but malfunctions of it. I believe the GPS is working great for bracket racing and totaly trust the data from it. My only problem is I dont want to be DQed if it doesnt read info.
MD
Old 02-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Registered

Well??? How about it Smity.............How many are failing to work? Can we run 2 GPS's if we like? What if they don't read the same? Which one would you use? Maybe Allen can chime in with some input.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:35 PM
VIP Member

Most of the problems with the units, were involving the teams either not charging them properly, or installing them in the boat improperly. If the unit it's self failed, the rule at present is, we test run the boat, to insure it has the correct prop/calc in it.
If they are charged and installed properly, they work fine.

Last edited by Wazzup Racing; 02-10-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Registered

Ours did fail in one race but it was due to a poor charge in it. These units are not cheap and are used in the trucking industry. Not to say you have a defect one every now and then. If you feel your unit is not working right, send it back for a check-up or replacement. They will work with you I bet.

I feel that the system in place is by far the best. Alan and his crew work their a$$ off to make it fair. They will even check your GPS before every race. Thanks to Smitty and the whole OPA to make for the fairest racing on the water!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Racer
Racer

I know it is a lot of work, but it would nice to see our speeds. But I guess it really doesn't matter. If we win and don't break out we went fast enough, anything doesn't really matter.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Registered

I totaly agree its the best it has been in years. If your unit has a problem at the race you are screwed. No parts no replacement until the next race. Is that what we want for a team that has just traveled and spent there money to race?
I am not saying to buy 2 units and see which one reads best. If you want to buy 2 units and place them both on your boat thats OK. At the end of the race you can only turn in one unit at inspection. If for some reason your unit has no data you wouldnt have the opportunity to submit your 2nd unit for data. You could never use your 2nd unit as a complaint that your first unit didnt read correctly but only as a back up that the first didnt read data or partial data.
MD
Old 02-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Registered

It does matter!!!!

I dont believe that many units are malfunctioning and the batteries in these things last forever before needing a charge.

If you don't charge your unit, you deserve to get DQ'd. You have more than enough time to have your units ready for the race. There is no excuse.

I dont think the system is the best it has ever been. I think all the speeds should be posted and a competing class team member should be present when the GPS is read. Maybe the class rep should be present too. This way, there is no question as to accuracy or credibilty.

Maddog.....dont beat around the bush. Say what you feel.

Quick Reply: GPS readings????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.