Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > OPA/The Jersey Boyz
What the Hell is wrong with Offshore racing ??? >

What the Hell is wrong with Offshore racing ???

Notices

What the Hell is wrong with Offshore racing ???

Old 03-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for comparing this to MX/SX but that’s what I personally know and have worked with in the past and currently.

The Avg. Motocross fan is
18-26yrs old
Single
High School Educated
Making 26-32k per year.
Own Bike - Yes

The Avg. Boater (From Michigan) Boat Town USA
34-42 yrs old
Married
2 kids
Some Collage
Making 68-74k per year.
Own Boat - Yes

Who would you target your product to? The single kids living pay-check to pay check? Or the older established family man with extra capital to burn? This is what puzzles me..
Old 03-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is very hard for an average team to give a sponsor it's money worth. We don't have the time or resources to be the "big show" that most want. I believe we would be best served to market the OPA as a whole and with major sponsors. Spend the $ on building an outstanding product, raise the prize $, get travel $ and then individual sponsors.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Racer
Racer

As a whole we have buying power. We should negotiate deals with hotel chains, parts suppliers, tire stores, etc for group discounts. Racing cost me over $25k last year without the boat cost. You spread that over 50-70 teams and you have some clout.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Registered

Default reality

reality is it should be companys like merc and the manufactures stepping up first. your comparing mx/sc these sports all have factory teams and the factories all support the priviteers that run their brand. merc is a billion dollar business and what do they really give for running their stuff. merc dollars to buy their parts at list price??????
in sx/mx if a kawasaki wins people go and buy kawasaki
Old 03-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I think TV coverage on a popular TV Network is the #1 thing that Offshore Powerboat Racing needs. Many people don't even know what Offshore Powerboat Racing is, because they have never seen it before. If it was on general TV Station Network that everyone could get then people would see what it was all about. It's exciting and something new for the viewer's to see but they have to be exposed to it in a big way. I know that it is on some TV Stations but I have never been able to get it in Canada. At one time the GLSCS use to be on TV and also the APBA Offshore Powerboat Races. I use to know the names of drivers and boats because I would see it on TV and was exposed to it. Sponsors can reach millions of viewer's when they have TV coverage and that is what they are looking for to sell their products. Without TV coverage it makes it much harder to get sponsors and TV coverage should be live or at least a week later and at a decent time. I think that if it were broadcast on something like ABC Wide World of Sports, everyone could get the broadcast no matter what TV package you had. Secondly I think that Race Sites have a lot to do with the promotion of the sport of Offshore Powerboat Racing. If people can't see the race up close, then it isn't exciting and people lose interest in it. An old example I'll give is the Detroit Gold Cup Race in 2007. I've been to some good race sites that offered good spectator viewing such as the OPA, BWORA, St. Clair River Race. Then in 2007 I went to the Detroit Gold Cup Race with OPS Racing there, the boats came real close to the spectator's and on a short course that you could see the entire race. It was one of the most exciting races that I have gone to and for those reason I mentioned. I had never seen the Offshore Powerboats come that close to me before while racing. The Air Show put on by one Jet Fighter was also a highlight of the Race. For this reason I have ordered my tickets for the 2008 race again. That's what Offshore Powerboat Racing "MUST" do to get more sponsors.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Smile

Originally Posted by louietherigger
Better Days are coming my friend, for the last 5 months we have been promoting the Patchogue race and Offshore in general. We must look at the positive aspects that have happened in the last few years. Smitty has built the OPA into a major force in the Offshore arena, Haggin has brought us the Miss Geico Triple Crown Series among a huge list of other perks, Ed "the evil one" Smith and the Michigan crew has built St Claire into a monster event and are adding the Harrison Township race, the Maryland boys run 2 events that are awesome! Ocean City and Cambridge. The Jersey Boyz are working on kicking up Pt Pleasent back to the Legendary Offshore event it historically is, last but not least the Patchogue team are going to produce a race that will have the Offshore Gods Smiling from the Heavens!! We are out there pushing for sponsors and advertisers 24-7. T.V., Radio, every local mag and newspaper we can find. People tell you things are slow? How are they going to get busier if they don't advertise? It's the responsibility of everyone to promote our sport , the more people hear about it the more they want to get involved, that goes for sponsors too!
What the hell is wrong with Offshore Racing? Nothing, Louie

PS What the hell is a Yamahama? lol

Louie

Don`t forget the Little guys

Mike
Old 03-15-2008, 07:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

When Smitty twisted my arm to be VP of OPA that first Point Pleasant race had 17 boats but only 12 started. We've come a long way and still have even further to go. It's gonna be a year or two before any big sponsor wants to let go of some ching, when the market comes back. That's what I'm told from my business stand point.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by Hauling Trash
Louie

Don`t forget the Little guys

Mike
Hey Mike, I didn't forget lol thats why I covered my arse with the second post. It's hard to name everyone in each post, but believe me the show you guys put on in Chattanooga let everyone know just how important you guys are and we are all looking foward to running together this year. Louie
Old 03-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by louietherigger
Hey Mike, I didn't forget lol thats why I covered my arse with the second post. It's hard to name everyone in each post, but believe me the show you guys put on in Chattanooga let everyone know just how important you guys are and we are all looking foward to running together this year. Louie
Thank Louie

I know its going to be a great year for boat racing this year.

Mike
Old 03-16-2008, 02:37 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I believe that promoting boat racing in the Northeast can do nothing but help the sport.. No offense to everybody else, but there is alot of potential in the Long Island area. Nobody has any money these days, until it comes to play time. You can't compare all the BMX stuff to boat racing, slightly different price bracket, but it can be done. Last years Patchogue race was a home run. You guys generated alot of interest in the area, keep with it. Anywhere I could help, please don't hesitate to ask Brett

Quick Reply: What the Hell is wrong with Offshore racing ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.