Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Mounting GPS

Registered
    My Boats:
    1999 Phantom SVL13 WE HAUL BOATS - 29 Mirage TEAM 5-31 WHOZ YOUR DADDY OFFSHORE RACING

Mounting GPS

Ok got new wireless GPS and box. Where do you guys mount this thing? Best place?

My Boats:
    Fountains,Mainship,Predator.Mako OPA 2007 class 2 ,2011 S.V. ,2013SVLNational Champions
    Somewhere on the boat seems to work the best, LOL, just clowning I will get the answer for you tomorrow. Louie

Registered
    My Boats:
    1999 Phantom SVL13 WE HAUL BOATS - 29 Mirage TEAM 5-31 WHOZ YOUR DADDY OFFSHORE RACING
    Quote Originally Posted by louietherigger View Post
    Somewhere on the boat seems to work the best, LOL, just clowning I will get the answer for you tomorrow. Louie
    I was thinking about on top of my helmet?

Thanks

My Boats:
    Fountains,Mainship,Predator.Mako OPA 2007 class 2 ,2011 S.V. ,2013SVLNational Champions
    I could come up with a ton of jokes for that one,lol of how painful that could be lol. The most important thing I believe is to hard wire it and not count on the battery pack. The other consenses is to mount it mid point or closer to the stern. We have ours just in front of the engine compartment an it has been very dependable. I also hear you want to avoid other instruments on your boat like the compass and electronics.
    I hope this helps, I will give you more info as I get it.
    Louie

Registered
    My Boats:
    Quote Originally Posted by louietherigger View Post
    I could come up with a ton of jokes for that one,lol of how painful that could be lol. The most important thing I believe is to hard wire it and not count on the battery pack. The other consenses is to mount it mid point or closer to the stern. We have ours just in front of the engine compartment an it has been very dependable. I also hear you want to avoid other instruments on your boat like the compass and electronics.
    I hope this helps, I will give you more info as I get it.
    Louie
    Mount the unit in the pelican box near the stern? Or the antena/.

My Boats:
    We did both, The theory is the back of the boat moves a little less then the bow. Again it's a theory, I definately would avoid electronics and hard wire it. Other then a battery glitch the first time we used it, it has been very dependable. We are going to try running with the wireless this week, weather permitting. We are going to put it in the same spot as the original one. These things can seem more scary then they really are, once it's mounted and the power source is reliable the only thing we had an issue with was remembering to turn it on along with all the other stuff you have going on getting ready to race. I'm a touch on the senile side so my partner/throttelman is the designated GPS checker. Louie
    Last edited by louietherigger; 05-18-2008 at 05:56 PM.

Registered
    My Boats:
    Thanks for the heads up. Mine should be here early this week so I will give it a try.

Thanks

Michael