Calling All Single Engine Race Boats >

Calling All Single Engine Race Boats

Notices

Calling All Single Engine Race Boats

Old 12-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling All Single Engine Race Boats

Please chime in if you have any interest in some sort of semi spec under 32 ft class,based around 85mph? maybe based on some prop calc. or HP x weight, this is your chance speak up !!!!
Old 12-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Registered

Isn't prop calc and a mph designation exaclty how the OPA classes work now?

The "semi-spec" class would have to have very specific rules that everyone builds to and speed ends up where it may.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

let's hear what you got?
Old 12-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't mean to be a hater here but you've got one guy that wants this class that has a 500hp type motor and one guy who has a 750 supercat motor........I don't know where your going to end up at a semi spec class with that big of disparity to begin with???
Old 12-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by daredevil
AND LIKE ALWAYS <<<<RYAN TAKES THE FUN OUT OF EVERYTHING !!!!!!

WY DONT YOU TRY TO GET SOME MORE BOATS TO RUN IN YOUR CLASS ????? SO ATLEAST YOU CAN BE HAPPY .
Daredevil...Ryan does make a very valid point. He has been involved in the sport for many years and is certainly someone who knows what he is talking about.The A-Class was strong in the early to mid ninties in terms of boat count; mainly because it was the most affordable class.I was fortunate enough to drive an A-Class boat in some USO and SBI races.As the class evolved;so did the variety of hull and engine combinations.You had everything from 24ft open cockpit conventional vees with 450hp to 30ft canopied vees with 750hp.Inboards,outboards,stock,modified etc.The disparity in power and speed capabilities of the boats ultimately compromised the racing, and lead to the formation of the spec Factory 1 Class.

I understand why people want wide open throttle spec racing.I guess the real challenge now would be to try to develop a set of rules to address all of the variations in the boats that may want to participate in this class.It will also be interesting to see how the new open cokpit vee one design class developes.Bracket racing,although far from perfect,at least provides a place for the older boats to still race competitively.Just my opinion.

Anyway..I look forward to seeing your team at some OPA races in 2009 in whatever class you decide to enter.

Last edited by 1waterboy1; 12-05-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Registered

I agree with Ryan and Mr Waterboy. You guys are trying to resurect a dead class. Hollis made a go of it two years ago with F-1, and the only team that committed was Typhoon. Whats different today? The economy sucks ...period. no one has the cash to piss away when they are worried about keeping their jobs. Lets stick to what already exists. You are trying to complicate things.

Scott, what happens when you blow a motor or two and you are out for the season? No money to keep going. The class is dead. Stick to P-4 and you'll be fine.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Registered

build your boat to run the class,
Old 12-06-2008, 09:17 AM
VIP Member

I believe this thread started, where Al is a little frustrated with not being able to run wide open. Lets look at even the 850 class. They are controlled by rpm gear ratio and prop pitch just like we are. There I must believe it was to keep the boats at a safe speed. From the amount of limiter popping they do, there is definately more speed if more gear were allowed. Hats off to them for realizing competition does not nessessarily need ultimate speed. It needs deck to deck racing. That has been accomplished. The Rules in OPA were structured around the same principle. Prop, gear ratio, rpm. If the boat is set up correctly, and run in the correct class you are running wide open. Example class 2 basically all Fountain SV's class speed 105. While all these boats are capable of 108-109, on a race coarse we can hardly ever get to 105. 90 percent of the time you are wide open. If I entered my boat in class 3, 95 mph class with the intention of trying to dominate the class at 95 mph, yes I would be bored holding the boat at 3/4 throttle. In Al's case the boat is too fast for class 5, and too small for class 4. While he has the speed to run class 4, the twin engine V's are hard to catch in big water. But if you look at it as a series and not just one race. Al can win at the calm water races, where the twin V's are stuggling in the calm conditions. Al I am not singling you out, just using your problem to try and solve the issue. If there were a single engine class with a speed set at 85 instead of 75, I can only think of 3 or 4 boats that would be capable. Not enough for a class. At the same time class 5 is so strong, why pull boats out of there. Boats that come to mind, Crazy Chicken, Octane, 27 Activator canopy, who else? Or Al, I will go halfs with you on one of Gino's Spec Boats, and lets go try and kill each other. Open ears.....Smitty

Last edited by Wazzup Racing; 12-06-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:33 AM
VIP Member

On the other issue of horse power to weight, that only works if you have the same hulls. In P1 the new tech. Hulls win. In our world, you have new hulls, old hulls, stepped hulls, V hulls, Power to weight will never work.

Example, sorry if I use my own boat, but it is the perfect example.
32 Viper Old straight V, 8000 lbs 1500 hp 106 mph.
Our Fountain although 38 foot actually has the same running lenght as our Viper. It also weighs 8000 lbs.. When we put the engines from the old boat in it we saw 136.
Two boats same weight, same length same power,106 vrs 136.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am all ears on this thread

Quick Reply: Calling All Single Engine Race Boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.