Notices

Team PFE was placed on double secret probation

Old 08-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Team PFE was placed on double secret probation

*CLASS 6 RACE REPORT

Team PFE was placed on double secret probation and swore not to break out this week.

Class 6 was the largest class of the day with 8 boats and I knew we would need to get a good jump as we started from lane 5 to have any chance at a decent finish. As the green flew we were a little slow off the blocks as Gary and I had a hard time actually seeing the flag “fly”.

We round the turns 1 and 2 in 5th position and went to work trying to pick off boats without breaking out, lucky the first long straight to the start finish line boat was a little snotty and we moved into 4th right next to Wazzup II with Akula in front of them and Tyler WAY out front. As we passed the Start/Finish boat we were “lapped” by Lightning Jacks and SOAKED, Maybe soaked is a understatement… it would only assume that’s what standing in front of a fire hose feels like. But I don’t blame them as the had no place to go at the time and the class 6 boats were 3 wide in a narrow area on the course.

Now this is the fun part.. we entered turn 3 in 4th place and once again got caught in some spray, so much spray we could not see anything at all. Gary was yelling Can’t see, Can’t see as we entered the turn. Knowing we had boats behind us he did not lift and knowing I had boats to the left and right I just tried to hold my line even though I could not see. As the spray cleared and our sight came back we seen turn 4 and cut it sharp and came out in 3rd place some how.

Akula was in 2nd and not to far ahead, we just kept picking away with smart line and sharp turns until we were right behind him than eventually worked pass him a few laps later.

Tyler and George were nexted on the hit list as they motored along in 1st. So we just did what has always worked for us and started to reeled him in. I must say with bracket racing it’s hard to make time like we did but Tyler’s boat was having a difficult time handling the water conditions. We had seen them on the front straight stand that boat up more than once while we were able to stay glued down and driving forward. I even remember saying at one point “Some one is going to fly out, give them room” .. on lap 6 we made the pass diving into turn 3 and just slowly pulled away for the win.

Or so we thought…

Well it’s bracket racing and anything over 70.00mph is a break out and we had 46 breakouts.

Cont…

A laundry list of them.. We are not sure how this happened as our personally GPS units only showed 1 70.23.. but rules are rules and to the back of the pack we go.

Even with the disappointing final result we had a great time and a great new race site and look forward to seeing everyone Aug. 27-28th in New York..

P.S. I had 2 GoPros set up but lightning Jacks made sure to clean them off my helmet and deck. So if anyone find a couple gopro floating around please return them..
Old 08-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Rick and Gary!

Once again you guys put on a good show for the fans and displayed the Checkered Flag for the crowd all the way into the Black River.

Congratulations to Tyler and George on their Win in Class 6 and to all the racers who put on a good show this weekend in all the classes at Port Huron/Sarnia Race.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Registered

Great recap of the Class 6 race ! Good to hear it from your perspective. Even if it is a soaking wet view ;-)
Old 08-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Registered

I got a chance to talk to the Lighting Jack team briefly afterwards. Complemented them on a good job and asked how they were able to walk away from the other two. He basicaly said thanks to P6 and P5 traffic they got the right hole and thats all it took so even with your break out and wash out I think he was trying to tell you thanks in a round about way you just didn't realize it at the time. By the way I got a couple of good pics of you guys bringing the checkered into the black river
Old 08-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Racer
Racer

The best part was I had it all on the goPro's and was looking forward to showing everyone how crazy it is going into a turn 3 boats wide with zero vision.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Registered

They should be in the gull island area by now. Once soomeone down loads the files and posts them, you should beable to find them again.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember we got hosed down really good in a F2 race by Art Lilly and crew running a SuperCat. After we approached them thinking they would say Sorry,or did not see you something like that No we got next time we'll throw you a bar of soap! So much for being out there with the big dogs. Jo