Notices

Class ?

Old 10-17-2011, 11:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bilgerat
By the way is there a single outboard powered 26' V hull that will go 70 MPH??
Go on Scream and Fly, I'm sure someone on there can answer that question a lot better than here.

A few years back there was a SOB that was running in OPA in Class 6
Old 10-18-2011, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lucididee
OK, How many of you actually read the rule book and what it says about class 6?

The book DOES NOT state that Class 6 is an entry level class, however, it does state the is is DESIGNED as an entry level class. Come on guys, why are you beating a dead horse issue.

And just an FYI, this argument is NOT only had about class 6. It has been argued/discussed about boats in class 2, 3, 4 & 5. I'm sorry to come off like this but ............ blah blah blah, if you are gonna race, get a boat that fits in a class. No one complained when I raced in class 4 in a single engine Fountain & got lapped twice, but I'll pat myself on that back that I at least raced the boat in the class where that boat should be.
I see nothing wrong in the class 6 participants having a constructive discussion about our rules.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:51 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Class ?

I agree no problem with talking about the rules keeps the blood flowing.
Dee when you raced in the fountain you could have also been in 5 just like i could move up to 5 or even 4 but i like being in class were we are all the same size boats if i were to move up to 5 in really big water we would have a hard time hanging with them because most of class 5 boats are 3 to 4 feet bigger than we are.
So i guess size does matter !
Old 10-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Class 6 wants to keep it the rules as it is I'm fine with that. If they want to intact a 500hp limit I'm fine with that also.

But remember a 500hp limit will move some boats out of our class. 3 That I know of right now.

So the heavy boats are allowed more horsepower to make it fair you say, under what power to weight formula? Now we are dealing with people cheating possibly?? more rules, more regulations ??

Class 6 is entry level as in speed (70mph) that's how I was told. If you want a true cheap entry level class I suggest the inflatable cat outboards (and I have one for sale)
Old 10-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Registered

Is OPA going to run a class of inflatables ? That sounds like my speed but i don't like to get wet. Something I got used to being out front
Everyone says "build a boat for a class" so how are overpowered boats that would probably need to be pushed up in class building a boat for a class, I didn't know but it sounds to me that Gary Cook is a engine builder, So surely if he didn't want to move up in class ( which i understand, especially in rougher races ) then that hull could surely run well in 6 with a smaller bullet, and still be very competitive. And now don't get me wrong I am not suggesting Spec Class stuff at all. I like to OPA "P class" rules.
Separately If all the boats were at least a bit closer in power or not even power but capable speeds, then there doesn't need to be the, well one is better in rough than calm conditions, in the flat everyone is on the number and in the rough speeds would come down a bit.
Again I am definitely looking to 6 but wouldn't be against class 5 or 4 if the stars line up. I do like running the faster speed, but it seems all the class 4 boats have dried up, so I would rather have some more competition.
I do remember a single outboard at Cambridge one year I think, but it was like 21 or 22 foot long and barely good for that smooth water race. Maybe a Pantera 24'?? or 24' velocity?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bilgerat
I do remember a single outboard at Cambridge one year I think, but it was like 21 or 22 foot long and barely good for that smooth water race. Maybe a Pantera 24'?? or 24' velocity?
21 foot Intimidator. They ran Patchougue and Cambridge. Had a heck of a time holding on in the choppy conditions.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by gary cook
I agree no problem with talking about the rules keeps the blood flowing.
Dee when you raced in the fountain you could have also been in 5 just like i could move up to 5 or even 4 but i like being in class were we are all the same size boats if i were to move up to 5 in really big water we would have a hard time hanging with them because most of class 5 boats are 3 to 4 feet bigger than we are.
So i guess size does matter !
The reason the boat was ran in class 4 was because of what happened in Chattanooga a few years back, I then could have been accused of sandbagging by some. I was happy seeing the boat top @ 79.4 for my 1st race (Even though I know someone under propped me & air there was AIR in the steering, LOL)

The only reason I chimed in was, it's the same old discussion, and I get to hear a lot of what the racers say off the boards, etc about how it's not fair about how some boats get to run on some classes. I have always hated the saying "Know the game and play it better" ..... my thought is to just be in it where it makes you comfortable. It's like the lottery saying "Ya gotta be in it, to win it."

I guess it really is the "starter" class thing that gets me. We ALL know what it is, so why even discuss or debate that issue.

And yes, size does matter

Last edited by Lucididee; 10-18-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by sbracing
21 foot Intimidator. They ran Patchougue and Cambridge. Had a heck of a time holding on in the choppy conditions.
I also looked back, there were 2 SOBs that ran the Camden race. I know, they couldn't (or maybe shouldn't) run any rough water races.

It just gets tiresome listening to the old adage of how someone bought a boat for a class to race, then they are not competitive in that class and then just whine about it.

OK, I'm done, I'm gonna go back to shopping for a new camera to take pictures of ALL of ya next season
Old 10-18-2011, 12:25 PM
VIP Member

Good thoughts. I am stuggling with this as well. Spec power, works if all the boats are the same. But, with so many different hulls, some need more power than others. Case in point. We ran a stock merc 525 in Boomers boat for the beginning of the year, Figured we would stick to a horsepower rule and see how it worked out. The boat would run 66 mph after 2 miles of trimming. Lost by a half a lap in sunny isles. Went back to original power, boat ran great. Now there is such a thing as overboard. Problem now is there are more boats with power than not. The real solution is ocean racing, but we all know that is impossible. So, we all know that in order to make lots of power, while being naturally aspirated, you need either Cubic inch, or rpm. We can limit both. Or either. Dont want to chase way the teams that have cubic inch already. But, 510 cu in. at 5600 rpm is a thought.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Registered

agreed don't want to chase anyone away, but make it more attractive for more to come in. I think one or both of your ideas are good Smitty, a pump fuel rule -no? I don't know if that is easily policed, or would make a distinct difference?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.