smith point race info >

smith point race info

Notices

smith point race info

Old 08-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default smith point race info

hey guys, a friend told me he heard on the local news that the smith point race was canceled by the town. Hope to god it aint true, dying to see a local race.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smiths Point race

Originally Posted by Btrhd
hey guys, a friend told me he heard on the local news that the smith point race was canceled by the town. Hope to god it aint true, dying to see a local race.
Sorry to say the Smiths Point Race has been cancelled. After a years work and all permits approved the County of Suffolk pulled there permit siting traffic issues. Coast Guard Permit approved, Town of Brookhaven Regatta permit approved, use of DEC property for environment group approved, use of Parking lot at Mastic Shirley Train Station approved ( overage parking if the 5000+ Smiths Point lot is full). The parks dept. Police was concerned about our traffic plan, when asked what he thought we could change on it his reply was I haven't read it, this is the tip of the iceberg. Safety was stated as a reason for these concerns, when we showed how our plan addressed the possibility of a traffic back up they looked like the heard it for the first time, when in fact they received this info months prior. First being, we had contracted an ambulance company with 2 ambulances at the beach to respond to an emergency along with 2 roving emt's and a 4 wheel drive beach rescue vehicle. In the event of a life threatening injury we had an airlift set up in conjuctionwith our helicopter. Last weekend they closed the bridge trapping beach goers for hours to run a marathon. Doesn't make sense to me when all the local fans and businesses were ecstatic that there would be a race in the area. I would like to hear everyone's opinion of what transpired, please post it, Thanks Louie

Last edited by louietherigger; 08-01-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Louie,
All we can say is thank you for trying to get it done. The Battle on the Bay is one of our favorite events and we look forward to coming back to Long Island.

Rich & Pete
Joker Powerboats/CRC 611
Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Registered

That's bull $hit.

Lookin like MI is on board, while ne / mid atlantic venues bail.

Sorry to hear the bad news

MD

Last edited by scarab63; 08-01-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Racer
Racer

I just dont understand some elected officals.. I guess they dont need or want extra people and money to be spend in there town.

Sorry all your hard work was tossed in the pisser due to few people.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Registered

Sound like typical politics and now all the local business Suffer along with all the hard work from Louie and his crew. I think we should all write a letter to the powers that be voicing our support for Louie and the people who worked so hard putting this event together only to have it cancled . Who should they be directed towards? And I hope the businesses in the area follow up also. I saw many smiling faces from the locals in st Clair last weekend counting up the cash from all the racers and fans. Were all behind you Louie.

Mike O
531 WHOZ YOUR DADDY
Old 08-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thanks Louie

For all the hard work and many hours you put in. Too bad the people on Long Island didn't go to one or more of the races in Michigan to see the show. Looks like next year we may be going to Michigan 4 times?

Ray and team
Knot Guilty #644
Old 08-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Registered

Thanks Louie...some things you cant control.Hopefully another race in Long Island can be planned for the 2013 season.Long Island has such a strong offshore powerboat racing heritage;and we all look forward to racing there!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Registered

Man this really sucks my A$$$. I'm bustin butt along with many other friends and fellow racers to complete the build of our 4 boat and planned to debut the boat in NY. It's possible to make Port Huron but I don't want to rush. I appreciate all the hard work the OPA does for us and hope to see them continue the push to expand this sport. After all you bastards sucked me In.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:56 AM
Registered

Damn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.