Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boomer,
is pro boat over 26 feet?
I thought they were 28 feet?
Old 06-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Not to throw fuel on the fire but if class 6 has 1/2 the fleet of registered boats and we all pay the same registration fee's at the beginning of the year then why shouldn't class 6 get 1/2 the total purse the site was paying out. You guy's are fighting for the scraps when you are the majority of the show. There was another organization that used to take the total race purse and divide that up based on number of boats. Example: total purse 25K and 25 boats in all different classes show up. Each boat has a value to the purse of $1000. So if 10 boats were in class 6 they would get $10,000 for that class and if SVL had 7 boats they would get $7000, and if class 2 had 3 boats they would get $3000 and so on. I never understood why any class that has more boats gets less and some classes only have 2 boats and get the same per class. Why should your odd's be less for getting money because you race in a bigger fleet in your class?
MD
Old 06-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Not to throw fuel on the fire but if class 6 has 1/2 the fleet of registered boats and we all pay the same registration fee's at the beginning of the year then why shouldn't class 6 get 1/2 the total purse the site was paying out. You guy's are fighting for the scraps when you are the majority of the show. There was another organization that used to take the total race purse and divide that up based on number of boats. Example: total purse 25K and 25 boats in all different classes show up. Each boat has a value to the purse of $1000. So if 10 boats were in class 6 they would get $10,000 for that class and if SVL had 7 boats they would get $7000, and if class 2 had 3 boats they would get $3000 and so on. I never understood why any class that has more boats gets less and some classes only have 2 boats and get the same per class. Why should your odd's be less for getting money because you race in a bigger fleet in your class?
MD

That's a great point.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:29 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by WazzupRacing2
Just my opinion. Not many people make every event, and theres too many people that dont come to run competitively, no need for names, and at the end of the day this isnt t ball we dont get a trophy for showing up. So with that being said, i think this is how this is going to go as class rep at the next race were going to vote on this...

tow money will only be offered to the boats who attended the race prior.
prize money for top three.
and if you break out you get squat! no money for DQs.
Now theres some time to think im going to get with pops today and set this up, so i highly recommend your best efforts on being in st. clair.

By only paying the tow money to the people attending the majority of the events you cut the 10 boats in half and have money left for the prize purse, and maybe the no dq money will cut down on the flag stealing bs. and just remember my t ball statement.. if everybody gets a trophy, in t ball every kid pays entrance fees, but nobody remembers what thats like...aside from all this it costs around 1800- 2500 to come to a race i know myself between fuel hotels food and ect.. it gets pricey, whats a 300$ check or in the event of a 50/50 purse split, whats 150 a boat tow money is pissing in the wind. im not saying this is how it will be done but its one or the other no in the middle this is the fairest compromise i see.

Happy Racing!, Boomer
My opinion from a new OPA Class 6 team.

I think it's pretty shi1tty to offer only tow money to teams that have attended the previous race. I tried like hell to make the first race but couldn't due to my engine not being done, so that would have precluded me from being paid to race at Tawas. Three days prior to Tawas I broke an intake valve on my new engine blew it through the piston and sent pieces shrapnel throughout the entire engine. Thursday before Tawas we put a loaner engine in and prayed that we would make it through testing on Saturday. We made it through testing but 3 laps in during the race we broke a rocker which ended the race for us with a nice long tow through the infield of the course. I would have loved to make it to Atlantic City, it looked like a blast but that's racing. I'll be ready for St. Clair with a brand new engine but seeing how I didn't make it to AC under the class reps proposal I wouldn't be eligible for tow money. At this point you couldn't pay me enough tow money to make up for what I invested to get to point I am now.

As far as being competitive, I'm not really sure how to take that (maybe due to not being involved with OPA very long) but the last thing I was thinking I was taking a joy ride around a 5 mile circle with Country Services prop wash pounding me in the face just for fun.
I also can't believe you referenced the T-Ball thing, come on, really! I didn't expect a trophy for showing up and really didn't hear of anyone else in class 6 expecting one either. One more thing, when you say "No need for names" if you don’t want to mention any names then don't mention it at all, so at this point I will assume you're talking about me and my team. Whether you are or not it's a cheap shot to whomever you're talking about. I'm not sure what the role of the class rep is but that kind of representation I don't want. I also want to touch on what you stated about showing up to St. Clair, “so I highly recommend your best efforts on being in St. Clair". Pretty much sounds like an "or else" statement. Listen, I probably wouldn't be too far off by saying if it was feasible for all class 6 racers to make the entire schedule they would if they could but for whatever reason they can't... With class 6 being the most populated class at every race your "best efforts" statement just doesn't sit right with me!

Bottom line is if we did this to make money we all are kidding ourselves. My job is to represent my sponsors, race competivily and promote the race organization to hopefully attract more people like myself to become involved and help grow the sport. In all reality the OPA is by far the best thing going in offshore racing. Having the most classes, livable rules and outstanding venues the OPA is truly a racers organization. Remember you ARE a representative of OPA and how you present yourself and what would say is a direct reflection of OPA like it or not. This is my first year with OPA and look forward to many years of competitive racing.

I'd be happy to speak with anyone to further discuss. 586-531-7905

Steve
Old 06-29-2013, 06:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just think of how easy it is when you show up to a race....race......place......and theres no prise $ to even worry about. Nah.....thats never happened.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:13 AM
Registered

Class has bigger issues than purse or tow money. Like the "class rep" throwing dirty blocks on other boats and giving people the finger on the track. We try to race everyone clean and not put people in danger. Dont get it twisted though, i have no problem taking off your hood scoop with the nose of our boat if you play that bull**** again!

Frank
BAD NEWZ 613
586-854-5743

Last edited by swung6; 06-29-2013 at 07:16 AM. Reason: phone number added
Old 06-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Registered

Steve,

I'm sure our class rep was not directing anything at you.

He is stressing the fact that if you want your vote to count you better show up
at the next race. Nobody said tow money would or would not be paid in St.Clair because you didn't
attend AC. It was just a proposal for future races.

In my opinion, I don't think any race team should even get to vote if they only show up to 1 or 2 races.

To many people on here making assumptions, this is why this entire thread is pointless.

See you in St. Clair, I'm done with the whining.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:29 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Pwrbt33
Just think of how easy it is when you show up to a race....race......place......and theres no prise $ to even worry about. Nah.....thats never happened.
It's crazy what a little money will do. I had a blast in Tawas even though it was close to where I live I certainly appreciated the tow money. As for my team and I it really went a long way with us.

Hope your new position at work is going well I was looking forward to meeting you in person.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Registered

Smitty here under Boomers screen name. Relax a little. I know you all need some $$$$. I have a package for the next two michigan races, that will raise the bar. Give me till monday to work a few things out. Thanks. Great to see all the interest.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:40 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Smitty

Just like I said in an earlier post OPA is the best thing going in my opinion. The extra money is nice (I only speak for myself) but not expected. If I don't finish strong in the top three I don't get anything, period. Trying to become competitive to finish in the top 3 consistantly is part of the game. That's my expectation based on other types of racing we've done.

Anyways, we are commited to OPA and look forward to finishing out schedule.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.