Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > OPA/The Jersey Boyz
Are Blown engines allowed in class 6 ? >

Are Blown engines allowed in class 6 ?

Notices

Are Blown engines allowed in class 6 ?

Old 08-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Blown engines allowed in class 6 ?

Can you run a supercharger in class 6 ? I think i glanced through the rules once, but dont remember if i saw anthing on that. Let me know.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:25 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

There was a class 6 in Long Island with a blown engine but wasn't until after the race . Doh !!!

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

When we were going to run a merc 525sc we were told no problem but when I got my hands on a 515 ci, and wanted to order a 10-71 smitty suggested we didn't lol
Old 08-30-2013, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was based on speed overall. There are teams with 900hp n/a in that class. I don't see a blower being an issue...
Old 08-31-2013, 08:16 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Nothing over 26', must have a Bravo drive and don't break out over 70 mph. Other than the regular safety stuff pay your money and race.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Kuhr
Nothing over 26', must have a Bravo drive and don't break out over 70 mph. Other than the regular safety stuff pay your money and race.
Volvo drive is OK as well as is single outboard. OPA has the right to classify a boat where they think it fits best. Your best bet is to contact Smitty before making assumptions on what is or isn't allowed in a class.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's kinda funny, Tim. BTW, nice aerial shot of the Grinch BatBoat.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Registered

I realize it has always been P class, run the speed, but some of the engines definitely have gotten out of hand, imo, I am just trying to get on the course, and although I also originally thought it was kind of a 500hp limit, that has been thrown way out, now it appears a minimum of 650 to compete. I wish the power was a little more in line between competitiors, ( im ot saying spec by any means ) Ive got 454 sized engine to build on now, and am trying to secure a 502 to go to 540 etc. but if it doesnt happen soon, Im may be stuck building a 454, and I think I need a supercharger to get the thing remotely competitive. Im neither Tyler Crocket nor Jason Saris, and just need to be able to get me a decent piece together that wont have me out of the lead pack. Maybe I should try to contact Smitty, Just checking for a written rule, ? ?
Old 09-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Registered

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Bilgerat
I realize it has always been P class, run the speed, but some of the engines definitely have gotten out of hand, imo, I am just trying to get on the course, and although I also originally thought it was kind of a 500hp limit, that has been thrown way out, now it appears a minimum of 650 to compete. I wish the power was a little more in line between competitiors, ( im ot saying spec by any means ) Ive got 454 sized engine to build on now, and am trying to secure a 502 to go to 540 etc. but if it doesnt happen soon, Im may be stuck building a 454, and I think I need a supercharger to get the thing remotely competitive. Im neither Tyler Crocket nor Jason Saris, and just need to be able to get me a decent piece together that wont have me out of the lead pack. Maybe I should try to contact Smitty, Just checking for a written rule, ? ?

We only have a 515ci and we feel its sufficient to be competitive.
As you know, it takes balls not HP to run in the ocean. And a good driver/throttles for flat. We built our engine with the expectation that one day there would be a 650HP cap for our class. (We are well under that as of now). I have no complaints, we really have a great group and I'm really looking forward to Solomon's. Build your boat with what you got, when you blow it up you can upgrade......
Old 09-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DavidRaabe
We only have a 515ci and we feel its sufficient to be competitive.
As you know, it takes balls not HP to run in the ocean. And a good driver/throttles for flat. We built our engine with the expectation that one day there would be a 650HP cap for our class. (We are well under that as of now). I have no complaints, we really have a great group and I'm really looking forward to Solomon's. Build your boat with what you got, when you blow it up you can upgrade......
Balls are great but acceleration /horsepower/and being able to run a boat tucked in and under control is what wins races. there is no substitution for cubic inches.
Look at some pics of the winning boats most shots boat is bow down charging thru the crap while all the other boats are running on the edge trying to keep up.
Been there done that got a tee shirt to prove it.
IMHO

Last edited by GoFastSonic; 09-03-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.