Port Huron/Sarnia International Powerboat Race

Notices

Port Huron/Sarnia International Powerboat Race

Old 08-06-2015, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Port Huron/Sarnia International Powerboat Race

I haven't heard much about this weekends Port Huron/Sarnia International Powerboat Race. Will be there Saturday in Port Huron and then cross the Bluewater Bridge to Sarnia to watch Testing from that side, get a Perch Dinner at Purdy's Dockside and walk around the Party Area. Going to be at Port Huron all day on Sunday to watch some good competion.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I might go over to Sarnia on Saturday as well to see that viewing perspective. Last year, they ran right up against the seawall there. Might be a better vantage point then Port Huron. I am going to be for sure at least on turn #1... hopefully I can try to get on turn #3 this year. But we will see.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by redriderbob
I might go over to Sarnia on Saturday as well to see that viewing perspective. Last year, they ran right up against the seawall there. Might be a better vantage point then Port Huron. I am going to be for sure at least on turn #1... hopefully I can try to get on turn #3 this year. But we will see.
You will get some good shots there, I have been taking picture there for a few years now.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a10CurfpMgo Onboard Early Detection Racing for Friday practice in Port Huron.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Being a member of OSO and not seeing anything about the race is sad. If racing fans don't read or hear anything about it, then how do you expect others who are not OSO members to hear about it and come and enjoy the weekend event. There seems to be a big problem promoting the events and advertising them and it is something that the Promotors and Racing Organizations needs to pay special attention to. I am coming down from Windsor this morning to Port Huron and then going over to Sarnia to watch testing from there and enjoy their festivities, then I will be coming back to Port Huron on Sunday to watch some great racing and staying there for the day, like I do every year.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Andy,

It all circulates around "money". In theory it should be up to the promoter.. The race Association is only a producer and there is a huge difference between production and promotion, meaning the association is the circus, the promoter is the local arena. Promotion costs money and in speaking with several promoters through the years, to put on a fully funded proper race with promotions, the cost will be in the $250,000 range. Obviously races on both sides of the fence are put on for much less, but with most race sites running bare bones budget wise, that leaves little to none for advertising(promotion) Port Huron/Sarnia is a totally different scenario as you now have 2 promoters(1 on the American side, 1 on the Canadian side) In years past it was the Canadian side that came up with the majority of monies while they only got a 2-3 hour autograph signing with almost over half of the racers either not signing the manifest in time or arent even eligible to do the crossing. Everything takes place on the American side event wise.. It becomes real tricky... Its a great site, had the privilege of racing in the first event they had and look forward to returning in the future. Michigan is stock full of great sites and great fans....
Old 08-08-2015, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

This is the first I've heard of it. Do they race out into Lake Huron or just on the river? That part of the river by the Bluewater Bridge is always rough. Lake Huron has been pretty calm lately. Can you watch the race from a boat?
Old 08-08-2015, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
This is the first I've heard of it. Do they race out into Lake Huron or just on the river? That part of the river by the Bluewater Bridge is always rough. Lake Huron has been pretty calm lately. Can you watch the race from a boat?
http://www.oparacing.org/race5.html
Old 08-08-2015, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
Andy,

It all circulates around "money". In theory it should be up to the promoter.. The race Association is only a producer and there is a huge difference between production and promotion, meaning the association is the circus, the promoter is the local arena. Promotion costs money and in speaking with several promoters through the years, to put on a fully funded proper race with promotions, the cost will be in the $250,000 range. Obviously races on both sides of the fence are put on for much less, but with most race sites running bare bones budget wise, that leaves little to none for advertising(promotion) Port Huron/Sarnia is a totally different scenario as you now have 2 promoters(1 on the American side, 1 on the Canadian side) In years past it was the Canadian side that came up with the majority of monies while they only got a 2-3 hour autograph signing with almost over half of the racers either not signing the manifest in time or arent even eligible to do the crossing. Everything takes place on the American side event wise.. It becomes real tricky... Its a great site, had the privilege of racing in the first event they had and look forward to returning in the future. Michigan is stock full of great sites and great fans....
I agree with what you have said about the association being the circus and the lack of money. I know I tried to get money to put on a race with no luck but there hasn't been much posted about this race on OSO, which surprises me. Most people on here are Performance Powerboaters and the full OPA Race Schedule is posted on oparacing.org for information. Times are tuff but a little more effort must be placed on advertising the events. Back in the late 1980's an APBA Offshore Powerboat Race was held on the Detroit River "The Strohl's Thunder Fest" with Betty Cook and Al Copeland Sr., two legends and World Champions but no one knew about it, that was sad because of lack of advertising the race. Back in 2014 the Detroit International Powerboat Championship in the Motor City was run but no one knew about it, once again no advertising about the race due to lack of money. No advertising, no spectators and that means no sponsors to put on the race.

Last edited by AB From Windsor; 08-09-2015 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what is the boat count seeing there was no rollcall

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.