Help with OPA venue for old school racer >

Help with OPA venue for old school racer

Notices

Help with OPA venue for old school racer

Old 11-21-2016, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with OPA venue for old school racer

My last race was in Point Pleasant in '82. This year I went as a spectator to the Englewood Florida Racefest. Didn't look for anyone I might know, but rather, sat on the beach as a fan. So, in the old days all classes started at the same time for one main event. At this event, the website listed 3 races on Sat and 3 on Sun. But I must have seen 5 races on those two days with less than 10 boats in each. And only 5 "Superboats". Whats the deal? Were these heat races? Can someone explain this modern racing venue to me. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Digger,

As an event coordinator, I can tell you many many things have changed over the years. Now, traditionally you will see 3 races on Sunday. Each race may be comprised of multiple classes. For Example in race 1 you may see 3 classes. Each class will have its own paceboat with official starter. in the second race you may see multiple classes. and then the final race might have just one class. It depends on the location, resources avail and of course boat county and class entry.

As for "only 5 Superboats", well, that is just the time we are in. This is a very interesting class that does have a number of teams whom run multiple Race Org's. You we fortunate to see the 5 running that you seen. I have been told however that next year may prove to be a different story as a number of these are bein built and/or planned for next season.

While I cannot speak for the Org's themselves, I would say "stay tuned" for next year. It should produce good boat count and team turn out. I hope you get a chance to stop in the pits and talk with the guys and gals. They would love to talk to you as previous racer & they always love a good story.

Should you need anything thing else just let me know.

Cheers,
Brian K
Old 11-28-2016, 04:09 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well put.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the Englewood event, the OPA Worlds are a 2 race event (Saturday & Sunday) with full distance races with points accumulated to determine the OPA World Champion in each class. OPA"s bracket race model allows a wide range of equipment in 6 bracket classes, hence the number of boats in each class. Some classes are more popular (class 5 had 15) some are not so much (class 2 had 1). The numbers vary year to year as teams come and go or move to different equipment. The Englewood event had 55 entries spread over 6 Bracket classes, Super V, Super V lite, Super Stock, Extreme and the P1 class.