Possible new race in Traverse City, Michigan 2018

Notices

Possible new race in Traverse City, Michigan 2018

Old 05-08-2017, 04:30 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible new race in Traverse City, Michigan 2018

Working on this for 6 months already with Smitty....Need as much support as we can get this week to pull this off. We have a prelim page on Facebook which has a support petition listed on the page...if we want this to happen...join, share and get everyone you know to sign the support petition so I can present to the City next Monday, May 15th. There's info on the event on the "About" Facebook page. It's a perfect venue!

First race date is planned for August 10-12, 2018.....pending this last City approval, then raise some dough$$

"https://www.facebook.com/gtbayoffshoreclassic/"
Old 05-09-2017, 04:24 PM
Racer
Racer

Signed - !
Old 05-16-2017, 09:53 AM
Registered

Grand Traverse Bay Offshore Classic shared UpNorthLive's post.
20 mins ·
We gave the best presentation that City has seen in years and did our homework. Looks like Traverse City will continue to be one of the "drunkest" towns in the US since they approve Micro-Beer and "whatever" festivals but shoot down a professional event such as ours proposed. Six months of work, countless calls and meetings...met all City requirements based from theirs own rules then shot down because they have "festival fatigue". Looks like the offshore races won't be coming to Traverse City any time in the near future...guess we shouldn't patronage the City either if they don't want us. Unfortunate.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:39 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

The City Commission discriminated against us for their personal reasons, not what their own City Ordinances and Requirements are that we fully complied with. We aren't done, we aren't going away...the fight will continue!
Old 05-31-2017, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

High-speed powerboat races will not happen on Grand Traverse Bay | MLive.com

Yet, they will have the mircobrew festivals twice a year with a ton of drunks walking around? Doesn't make any sense.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Bummer! Good luck.

Padraig
Old 05-31-2017, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Bummer! Good luck.

Padraig
Old 06-02-2017, 11:50 AM
Registered

Whatever happened with the Tawas event? That lasted only two years there was talk of a 5 year agreement after the first event. I have talked with many people in Tawas, residents and business owners, and they would love to have the races back. We attended that event and thought it was a great venue and on par with St. Clair. Good racer turnout those two years.

I can see the "festival fatigue" side of it in TC. That town is a zoo all summer with event after event. If race does ever happen in TC, I'll be there.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott H
Whatever happened with the Tawas event? That lasted only two years there was talk of a 5 year agreement after the first event. I have talked with many people in Tawas, residents and business owners, and they would love to have the races back. We attended that event and thought it was a great venue and on par with St. Clair. Good racer turnout those two years.

I can see the "festival fatigue" side of it in TC. That town is a zoo all summer with event after event. If race does ever happen in TC, I'll be there.
I loved the Tawas venue as a spectator. Those were some of the best, most interactive and upbeat races I have been to. Street party/show was a blast. Seemed like the crowd was very interested. Gone to St. Clair for several years running as well, but getting smaller every year. Wasn't much public/spectator involvement as years past.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:48 PM
DriverofDonzi
Gold Member

my parents have cottage house up north in Tawas City and is located about 4 miles south of race course.....My dad talked to people up there and was told that many people really want OPA race again but they know that city of Tawas City doesn't have enough funds to cover.....

Chris