Towing in rain?

Notices

Towing in rain?

Old 07-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by wgg
use some galvanized self tapping sheet metal screws If you dont use galvanized they will rust
No SS?

http://www.dr-shrink.com/tape
Old 07-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OL40SVX
Outerlimits full covers go right to the bottom of the boat with straps about every 6ft. We have a full soft sock that goes on first. They work great and don't hurt the gel or paint. We never tow with a cockpit cover on.
Originally Posted by richanton
That sounds like exactly what I need, I was getting ready to have one made. How do I get one?
Rich,

I have this factory setup (although mine has the straps about every 3'). It's a mixed bag IMO.

The pros are the sock has the potential to protect the paint from movement of the main cover. The cover itself is very secure and would be perfectly fine for towing... also seals the boat very well from the elements. No fears of it leaking water either.

The down sides are... Unless you're working in a clean-room environment, that giant sock picks up dirt and debris almost as well as a Swifter (which obviously can be a bad thing). The main cover is pretty heavy and cumbersome, and getting the two on togher can be a PITA, especially if you're by yourself. It's not a two minute ordeal and I promise you'll break a sweat putting it on, haha.

If you're looking for a cover for towing or even long term storage, this factory cover is a great setup. It helps if you have a couple of people to install it though. If you're looking for a full cover to quickly and easily throw over the boat during the week for some protection from the elements, I'd look elsewhere!

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again for all the great helpful hints. Did not end pulling it so will just keep all the great ideas for the next time.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SS930
Rich,

I have this factory setup (although mine has the straps about every 3'). It's a mixed bag IMO.

The pros are the sock has the potential to protect the paint from movement of the main cover. The cover itself is very secure and would be perfectly fine for towing... also seals the boat very well from the elements. No fears of it leaking water either.

The down sides are... Unless you're working in a clean-room environment, that giant sock picks up dirt and debris almost as well as a Swifter (which obviously can be a bad thing). The main cover is pretty heavy and cumbersome, and getting the two on togher can be a PITA, especially if you're by yourself. It's not a two minute ordeal and I promise you'll break a sweat putting it on, haha.

If you're looking for a cover for towing or even long term storage, this factory cover is a great setup. It helps if you have a couple of people to install it though. If you're looking for a full cover to quickly and easily throw over the boat during the week for some protection from the elements, I'd look elsewhere!

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the explanation, that does make sense. I'm having a new cockpit cover made (FYI, don't use that Starbrite waterproof spray on brand new canvas, it stains) and I'll probably also have him make me a mooring cover that covers the deck down to the rubrail and around the exhaust tips. That will provide some protection while the boat is on the lift and keep it relatively clean while it is on the rack. Plus, I can get it on and off myself. If the boat will be sitting around for a while in storage, or if I need to trailer it, then I can use the full cover.

Does the full cover set-up cover/protect the drives?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by richanton
Does the full cover set-up cover/protect the drives?
Mine does not. In fact, it stops at the back of hatch and is the only place I feel it's lacking as far as protection goes. With that said, you would not want it to cover the back if it was to be used for towing, so that's probably what the designer had in mind...

I might buy a cheap full length polyester cover for weekly duty, something light weight to keep the boat from being exposed, yet very quick and easy to install. I'm just not sure if I can stomach the poor fit!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Mine does not. In fact, it stops at the back of hatch and is the only place I feel it's lacking as far as protection goes. With that said, you would not want it to cover the back if it was to be used for towing, so that's probably what the designer had in mind...

I might buy a cheap full length polyester cover for weekly duty, something light weight to keep the boat from being exposed, yet very quick and easy to install. I'm just not sure if I can stomach the poor fit!
Good Points Scot....
Old 07-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Registered

Yeah, I thought about doing the same thing. Washing the boat before you use it and after you use it gets old.