water in bilge >

water in bilge

Notices

water in bilge

Old 06-25-2016, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in bilge

Ugh. 2008 legacy. getting water in bilge. At ramp couldn't see any coming in anywhere. At end of day there it was for 2nd time. This boat is new to me. Can water come in those transom vents coming off plane? Anyone else have this problem or know of a common problem with these that I can concentrate on? Was hoping I would not have to go through this again. Resealed everything on my 32 fountain to get it dry.
Thanks for any help.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

These are just shots in the dark:
1. Rotted transom
2. Bad seals on the outdrives (seal at it meets the transom)
3. Water inlet hose to water pump loose/leaking
4. Cracked engine block (I would seriously doubt that)
5. Ice chest that drains into the bilge- or other onboard sources that drain into the bilge
6. Cracked water pump
7. Leaking drain plug (I use a little Teflon tape on mine)
8. Engine (Main water circulating pump) weep hole
9. Exhaust manifold leaking water - that one got me two years ago -- hair line crack on the starboard manifold that no one noticed until I had the engine winterized and noticed the pink antifreeze in the bilge -- we are talking about an 1" hairline crack above the "star" plug.

hope some of these can be starting points

I know that that would drive me nuts - I'm anal about the cleanliness of the bilge and water sitting in there in my world is a no-no.

all the best- let us know what you find

3pointstar
Old 06-25-2016, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

With the engine running very carefully look for any hose connections dripping and feel them for water. Shift bellows is a possible source as is transom assembly seal. At rest, engine off, boat in water you will need to get in the engine room with a flashlight and look for any water tricking down the inside of the transom. That's how I would start. On my little Donzi water can and does get into the rear engine room vents coming off plane too fast.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:21 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The hose for my water pressure gauge had a small split right at the fitting to the engine. It only spit water at higher RPM & corresponding speed & water pressure.
Do you have water pressure gauges? It so, are all motors uniform? If they are not, start with the one that is lower in water pressure.