Fuel cooler- do I need one? >

Fuel cooler- do I need one?

Notices

Fuel cooler- do I need one?

Old 04-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fuel cooler- do I need one?

so is 1/2" feed enough- Aeromotive guy wants to see 5/8 but the choke point is the fitting on the tank- what's everyone else doing with bigger power?
Old 04-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts

As far as the location and how to mount the pump, I installed mine on the firewall (bulkhead) about 1-1/2" lower than the hose that comes from the tank. I ran wires from a relay mounted on the engine. The pump is higher than the bilge pump so water is not a factor.

I can get a picture of it tomorrow if you like.
Kirk,
I'd like to see it. My pump was higher than what you described. I am fixing to mount the new stuff this weekend and sure would like to see what others suggest.
Tom
Old 04-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
I have a 1/2" feed on my 638 HP motor, not a problem.

As far as the location and how to mount the pump, I installed mine on the firewall (bulkhead) about 1-1/2" lower than the hose that comes from the tank. I ran wires from a relay mounted on the engine. The pump is higher than the bilge pump so water is not a factor.

I can get a picture of it tomorrow if you like.

That's where I'm going, maybe an inch or two lower. I'm going to run it off the merc pump wires which are/were tucked out of the way on the harness. I need to drill a hole in the bulkhead for the return line, got a white plastic fitting to clean it up, will go same level as feed but just off center for easy access to the tank fittings. Fuel pressure gage comes in tomorrow- going to put the hour meter in the engine compartment rather than punch a new hole.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey Cat & 650 I guess your not able to use bolts if your below the floor on the bulk head ?

I seems as if my original system was to high. I do know it never had any issues. The boat ran and won P5 several times and never starved for fuel.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomcei
Hey Cat & 650 I guess your not able to use bolts if your below the floor on the bulk head ?

I seems as if my original system was to high. I do know it never had any issues. The boat ran and won P5 several times and never starved for fuel.

too high is relative- I'm just anal from my rockcrawling, seen a lot of pumps killed cause of no head (bad for a marriage too).

Theoretically, once the electric pump is wet it is happy and will have a kind life. It's dry starts that are bad so you want in a valley sort of where it's always wet.

I'm using #12 or 14 1" stainless screws- the assy does not weigh that much- I'll keep an eye for loosening. You could thru bolt but you'd have to trim away the foam between the tank and the bulkhead thru the 6" access hole and it would be a pain at best. If the screws dont work I'm going well nuts which effectively thru bolts it and shock mounts it at the same time