stand off/ set back on a Pantera >

stand off/ set back on a Pantera

Notices

stand off/ set back on a Pantera

Old 12-31-2006, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 57 Posts
Default stand off/ set back on a Pantera

I was wondering how or what to expect in handling when the out drive is moved rearward on the single 28/.( no notches, standard transom, full cabin) I thought about posting this in the tech section, but quite frankly i'm only concerned with the Pantera and not other boats (in general) I'm trying to get opinions/ advice.
For instance prop slip, cg , and how to determine prop depth
starting points.

I know Kirk is right in the middle of this. His upgrade has me
thinking of changing myself.

Question: If you installed a #6 would you set it back to keep the mrt in the same location and put trany in box?
OR would the extra weight of the 6 hanging back that far not be so good.
I have(I think) room to move mtr foward and mount 6 gimble to transom.
My thoughts are to move mtr to help maintain the balance I already have.
If a blower was in the future would the snout be too close to the engine bulk head?

Also would you want the prop depth on the #6 to be relatively the same as the Bravo?? I understand the 6 to be a surface drive. If this is true how would bow lift be effected? ( I realize it wouldn't be as unforgiving as the arneson)

If you guys could lend some advise it would help me keep from making a mistake.

Has Jo ever installed a #6 on the 28?
Thanks,
Tom
Old 12-31-2006, 04:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: stand off/ set back on a Pantera

Im puting a Imco box on my 28 this winter and hope to gain some handeling . I have a good baseline and should be able to answer that question by the first of Feb
Old 12-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Registered

mines the 7" ITS, Joe set it 1/2" higher, 17.5" X I think, works fine
Old 12-31-2006, 05:37 PM
Gold Member

Make sure Tom if you decide to mount a box that it has the degrees to match your transom. A number six will be my next investment.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:54 PM
Registered

If I go the #6 route I will make the transom assmy. fit correctly. Thanks. I'm most concerned w/ the X demintion.

Kirk, I agree that tight spaces make for frustrations while working on the engines.
I have a decent set up now for pulling the engine. I made a tall steal A frame that comes apart in 3 pieces. I plan to make several changes to the bilge to make pulling the engine easer/quicker.
If feed back is good with the weight and handling I may keep engine in the stock location.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:00 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my thoughts Tom as I had the most awesome opportunity this summer to run in both my single and Sonny's twin in the same day. I do not think that with any single 28 you can have too much weight aft because even with the twins the boat does not seem too stern heavy and handles great, now the 525's should be a little lighter than some other twin packages because they have aluminum heads and stainless exhausts but a pair are nowhere near as light as even a blown iron head single with a #6. Now don't get me wrong because a #6 on a 28 are what my dreams consist of, but I think in reality a good quality shiftable drive (Teague Platinum or equivalent) or at most a Konrad, #3a or #5 (in that order) would be fine with pleasure use and decent power 750 to 850+. Kirk is definately doing it right with the Konrad and the quad rotor engine I guess it is just defining what your goals are and going for it.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Registered

Chris please tell me you got up early and arn't still up from the new yrs eve blow out

My objective is simple. I don't want to worry about breaking a drive when I go play. I also want to add more pwr. I'm not looking for extreme top end mph. I want maxum excelleration and hard core duribility. I love jumping the boat and with that said it's only a mater of time before I mess up on the stick and have to be towed in and spend $ again.
I hate the idea of not being able to add pwr because the drive limitations.

It is just crazy, I used to have a car that had a nine inch in it and used to rev. 5-5500rpm before a launch and it never broke.
Attached Thumbnails stand off/ set back on a Pantera-car11.jpg   stand off/ set back on a Pantera-car13.jpg  

Last edited by tomcei; 09-23-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Registered

wow those pics sux. they looked good on the pc
Old 01-01-2007, 08:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

i am pretty sure the 28 and mag is the same bottom.....I think you sould look for a 3a or a five, the amount of money they get for that 6 is crazy.....You could probably find a used 3 or 5 and send it to bam, then go buy your blower for the same it would cost to get a 6 set up.........But if ya got it i cant see a issue with handling the six is the best engineered drive on the market....
Old 01-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Registered

Tom, great looking second gen Camaro. (Chris you still owe me pics of your old cars!)

I've blown up a couple of 9" rears (road racing no less). One was relatively stock and the other had a detroit locker and a magnesium Lenco center section. Don't know how, I'm just lucky I guess!