Oil, props and maintenance

Notices

Oil, props and maintenance

Old 07-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil, props and maintenance

Just pulled the 24 from the lake to clean it up a bit, and I am thinking about swapping props while it is out. Oh yea, I feel like I am getting some oil in the bilge. Not sure where it came from. Just over the last 2 weeks. Not sure if it was all over in different areas of the hull and has been sloshed around since we have been on it a lot. Do not think I am leaking anywhere. I am down on oil a bit, but I need to change it, so just might be normal burn-off. It was full when put in and now is just about down to where I should add some. Is this normal? I have about or just over 20 hours on this oil. Going to change this weekend.

Also, how quickly should I go through gear lube, and should I just add more to the reservoir or drain and change it. What kind of gear lube should I use. Also, what would everyone rec for motor oil?

Now for the prop question. I have a 4blade 26P bravo I on there now. I am at about 4800 RPMs and will be anywhere from 65-70 MPH. Have a built 502 with about 475 HP, give or take. When I get up to about 70, it starts to bounce and walk a bit. I have a 3 blade Mirage Plus 25P. What would be the differences? I am trying to see if I can eliminate the walking as I increase speeds and bring up the trim. how much trim is too much? I keep trimming it and increase RPMs and speed, but also increase the walking.

Thanks for the input
Old 07-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Registered

we should hook up one weekend and run! are you going to do the poker run with CPBA??

for your drive oil -- you are supposed to fill from the bottom up -- not by just topping off the resevoir.

for your engine oil -- i had a similiar leak -- turned out it was my remote filter adapter -- had a small crack due to over tightening -- i have a new one coming friday.

I'm no prop expert -- but if you check the archives -- the 24 panteras like a 3 blade prop. I'm runing a mirage 25p labbed and turned to a 24 -- i can run 70 any time i want(502 with 585hp) -- and mid 70's with the right condtions. Keep in mind mine weighs QUITE a bit more than your boat.

I only get a sliight chine walk with drive trimmed way up and tabs up -- other wise its rock solid
Old 07-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using the Valvoline VR1 20w-50 for engine oil, and I always use the Mercury (or Quicksilver) High Performance gear oil.

If your down to the "add" line on your dipstick after 20 hours you probably have a slight leak. I would clean up the bilge first in order to help find where the leak is. Dawn dishwashing soap works great on an oily bilge along with some Spray Nine on the tough spots.

Does yours have hydraulic steering? If not and it's chine walking bad you need to check the steering and see if there's any slack. The steering pin that goes through the gimbal ring can wallow out the hole and cause your steering to be loose which will make it more difficult to correct the chine walking at speed.

I run both a 4-blade Hydro and a mirage and I can take my hands off the wheel at 70. (I've also got dual-ram steering.)
My Mirage is definitely a faster prop.

You'll know when you've got too much trim, because the rpm's will be higher but the speed will stay the same or even decrease.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Chaos, we should get together some time. I am not sure we will be able to do the poker run. We were going to, but we are finishing up the remodel of our house and are knee deep in getting our coffee shop going (going in at Buyers Creek at 150 and Perth road - slated to open in November 07). I was reading the info and sounded like a whole day event and would be from early morn until about 3:00 and then dinner. have you done any in the past? How does the day go. Might rethink it? Wanted to do a simple fun run before a poker run, but do want to get involved and want to joint the CPBA.

I think I will put the 3 blade 25 P on before I put the boat back in on Saturday and see how that goes. Will look at the remote oil filter too and see if I can see anything. Thanks for the input. Let me know when you are out and we can try to hook up some time. We are down on the lower end of the lake on the large finger on the way to Vinnies, Rusty Rudder, etc.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Courtholl, definitely try the Mirage. My Mirage is the fastest but blows out if I don't get on plane carefully. I hated the Bravo prop on my boat, it threw the boat around too much. Hydro was okay but not enough bow lift and it scrubbed speed. The Rev4 has been the best 4-blade I have tried.

Also, you shouldn't "go through" gear lube. If you need to keep filling your resevior you have a leak somewhere.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Not going through gear lube, just will need to add some soon. I think I found the oil leaks. Tightened the rocker covers. Don't think that was it, but some bolts were lose. Oil seems, orat least I hope, was coming from the vents on the rocker covers. Looks like the rubber gaskets need replaced. Cn see the oil on the covers, etc. Will replace andsee if problem is fixed.