24 in rough waters >

24 in rough waters

Notices

24 in rough waters

Old 07-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we run about 55-60 in roughly 3 footers. Choppy and basically rolling wake. Back off a little when we start getting cross wake, etc. I don't do much with the tabs, except drop the left side to ballance the boat. I have been trying to use them more when going flat out on smoother water.

We were in a poker run this weekend. One of the smaller boats. Mainly 30+ footers, with quite a few 40 footers. we were back in the pack and had a hard time getting caught in the middle of side rolling troughs. That is the only thing I have problems with. Had a hard time getting going and was not able to adjust things much. Just when we were going other lake traffic would be in the way and I would have to back off. Otherwise, we are rock solid in and out of the water, basically skimming along. I hate getting caught in side wake, just rocks us around.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Courtholl
I think we run about 55-60 in roughly 3 footers. Choppy and basically rolling wake. Back off a little when we start getting cross wake, etc. I don't do much with the tabs, except drop the left side to ballance the boat. I have been trying to use them more when going flat out on smoother water.

We were in a poker run this weekend. One of the smaller boats. Mainly 30+ footers, with quite a few 40 footers. we were back in the pack and had a hard time getting caught in the middle of side rolling troughs. That is the only thing I have problems with. Had a hard time getting going and was not able to adjust things much. Just when we were going other lake traffic would be in the way and I would have to back off. Otherwise, we are rock solid in and out of the water, basically skimming along. I hate getting caught in side wake, just rocks us around.
I hear ya on the sidewakes! Female passengers don't seem to care for that!

This is where I have found the tabs very helpful. If I run them slightly negative and the crosswakes don't throw me around nearly as much and I find myself not constantly playing with them. Yes it scrubs a little speed but I can't run max speed in that stuff anyway. I just set them and forget about them.

But everyone runs different. That's why i was looking to see what everyone else did.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Registered

Not to be a ball buster, but we run into a lot of cruiser wakes, barge wakes and wakes off the Catalina shuttles when we run behind the breakwall in Long Beach Harbor and with my 24 (and the 28 obviously) we just crushed those. No need to even touch the trottle when running in the 60s in 99% of wakes.

Second thing, in quartering seas, I've never been in a more stable and comfortable boat (smaller than my buddy's 48 Sea Ray) than in my 28 and the 24 kills it too. I think its comparable to our old Pen Yann (the Pantera of fishing boats!) These boats just crush it!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet!
Not to be a ball buster, but we run into a lot of cruiser wakes, barge wakes and wakes off the Catalina shuttles when we run behind the breakwall in Long Beach Harbor and with my 24 (and the 28 obviously) we just crushed those. No need to even touch the trottle when running in the 60s in 99% of wakes.

Second thing, in quartering seas, I've never been in a more stable and comfortable boat (smaller than my buddy's 48 Sea Ray) than in my 28 and the 24 kills it too. I think its comparable to our old Pen Yann (the Pantera of fishing boats!) These boats just crush it!
As far as quartering seas I agree if you have some tab down, at least in my boat. I think it's because of the narrow beam and rocker in the hull. With some tab down I will stay right in the throttle and the boat knifes through or glides over, depending on the type of waves. With not enough tab down my boat will launch the bow. But I have to admit the boat is happier running with or against the waves.

With big wakes it's the same scenario. A little negative tab and stay in it until there's air under the prop!

The reason I asked about trim and tab settings is because different 24 owners seem to drive in different ways.

Last edited by onesickpantera; 07-24-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Registered

Right on. Sorry I didn't give details. Ironman owned my 24 for something like 15 years befor I bought it. He told me to leave the tabs at neutral and just monkey with the drive. I tried a bunch of stuff and you know what? He was right!

My 28 single doesn't need much tab either. Running the boat, I don't ever see more than 3.5 or 4 and I run 3 (neutral) nearly all the time, unless its flat-ish and then I'll run 1.5 or zero and trim the crap out of the drive. My 28 likes about 6.5 on the drive for top speed (3 is neutral) and my 24 probably liked a little less (didn't have indicators, but guessing less because it was a lot lighter).

Now keep in mind, I'm a know nothing monkey who's only smart enough to listen to Jo and the dudes who I bought my boat from!

Good luck and kick asz!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet!
Right on. Sorry I didn't give details. Ironman owned my 24 for something like 15 years befor I bought it. He told me to leave the tabs at neutral and just monkey with the drive. I tried a bunch of stuff and you know what? He was right!

My 28 single doesn't need much tab either. Running the boat, I don't ever see more than 3.5 or 4 and I run 3 (neutral) nearly all the time, unless its flat-ish and then I'll run 1.5 or zero and trim the crap out of the drive. My 28 likes about 6.5 on the drive for top speed (3 is neutral) and my 24 probably liked a little less (didn't have indicators, but guessing less because it was a lot lighter).

Now keep in mind, I'm a know nothing monkey who's only smart enough to listen to Jo and the dudes who I bought my boat from!

Good luck and kick asz!

We run about the same then. My stainless marine indicators are 1-9. 1 being down and 9 up. 5 is neutral and where I run in 1-2' chop. Flatter water I bring them up to 7(It's no faster past 7). And in bigger slop I will run them at 4. I am amazed at how fast the boat is even when running a little negative tab!
Old 07-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been trying to run as little as tab as possible, but I mostly end up with the same as what's been mentioned above. Normal day to day, the stbd tab is all the way up and the port side is down just enough to balance it out.

Mine only has the 150's so I don't have much tab to play with anyway, but they do seem to work.

Something I like to do on the large cruiser/boat wakes is to hit the first set off the transom of the passing boat. This is especially fun for the first time passengers who aren't expecting it. (well, at least for me. ) However, it makes for the quickest and smoothest ride.