28 Pantera at Shogren..... >

28 Pantera at Shogren.....

Notices

28 Pantera at Shogren.....

Old 08-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Jo, didn't know it was full race lay up. I remember Fred's 6 pack boat ran about 85 with the same HP.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:10 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not doubting what this boat has done, but alot can happen in the years it has been for sale, moving from dealer to dealer. If the drive checks out fine and the engine is solid, w/ correct compression and leakdown, i think you'd be fine.
Nothing different than buying any other used boat.

Wanna know what you got for an engine? just gotta rebuild to know for sure.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
It makes sense if the boost was dialed down. I'm sure it is fine. It looks great and I'm sure you'd be happy with it.

I agree about the conspiracy . . . I found a gold chain and hair dye next to my boat one night
Well done! I'm still laughing!
Old 08-14-2007, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Griff,

This boat was a little lighter than Fred's 28' plus the drive was mounted higher with the notch. This boat we rigged complete while Fred's 28' was rigged by the original customer on his own since it was sold as a hull and deck with a 6 man bolster only. Fred's 28' was a 1997 model while this boat was built in late 2002.

Not sure of the HP and torque between the 2 boats but I do recall Fred's boat was a carb. motor while this boat has a blower with Chiller.

Regards,

JO
Old 08-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JO - PANTERABOATS
According to the customer we built the boat for with the Chiller the motor was closer to 800 HP.I am sure Gary Grimes the engine builder would remember the "real" HP and more important "torque" with this combination.

I only ran 1 prop for 1 hour and that was a 31 labbed 4 blade Bravo 1 and with a full tank of fuel ( 90 gallons on the race set up ) and my customer and I in very hot and humid conditions in the bay 92 - 93 MPH and I recall the prop was down like 200 - 300 RPM from peak RPM - HP. I think the boat certainly with more time and tweaking could of ran 94-95 MPH before the Chiller was installed.It accelerated very strong !!!

Remember this is a much lighter version than a full pleasure 28' set up and the drive height was higher with the notch transom.

JO
Jo, do you recall what the boost was back when you drove it?
Old 08-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Probably detuned it to protect:

1. the outdrive
2. the salesman on the test run
3. the buyer who might kill himself
4. to keep the engine healthy and reliable
LOL

Funny AND true!!!
Old 08-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Registered

Since I've been reading this board I'm always impressed with the feed back. The information is usually on the money. Now if only that guy Geraldo had this kind of feed back he might not of had that awkward moment with Cappones vault.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not recall the boost but 3 pounds sounds very low. It has been close to 5 years that I ran the boat.

JO
Old 08-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JO - PANTERABOATS
I do not recall the boost but 3 pounds sounds very low. It has been close to 5 years that I ran the boat.

JO

That's what I was thinking. Has anyone interested in the boat asked Scott at Shogren about this?
Old 08-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Registered

When I spoke with greg he said it was probably set this way for reliability reasons. Original owner had the boat set up this way. Brings the whole thing back around again. Why? Yes full engine and drive check would give sometimes a better perspective of things. All depends on how far you really want to go or how much doubt you really have in it.

Quick Reply: 28 Pantera at Shogren.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.