80 mph 24'

Notices

80 mph 24'

Old 09-07-2007, 01:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er
T-Mone on here has a 24 with somewhere around 600 HP and he runs right around 80 I believe. I'm sure he'll chime in son.
Yup, 80 any day of the week running a 5 blade prop.
Faster when he runs his 3 blade.
And even faster when he trys the 3 blade that BBlades is working for me right now...
Old 09-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
I run with T-Mone 3-4 times per year. He has a 600HP 502 hooked to a stock B1 and has not blown it yet. No one runs harder than Anthony, believe me. He ran it for 3 years and I think just had it gone through. A newer stock B1 will hold up fine on these smaller size boats. I suggest you just buy a spare drive rather than spending the $$ for an upgrade if your drive is in good shape. I bought Storm's old upper for my spare.
As for HP to reach 80mph, I agree 550HP should do it. Remember torque matters too. A 550HP/454 is not the same as a 550HP/502. The 502 cube engine is going to get your there quicker and more often...
...You make a good point about 550 w/454 vs. 550 w/502. maybe the right question is what torque is needed to reach 80...

Regarding drives, can an XR directly replace a B1? Is the X, bolt pattern, etc... the same? I think for me until I get more experience, I'd better do something with the drive. I have no idea on how many hours are on it and what kind of shape its in internally. I'd hate to spend the money and time on the engine and pop the drive on first launch.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:20 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Not trying to rain on your parade, even though i might be.
I've just done it already, and i believe i did it right.
The boat is on its second owner since me.
From what i know, neither have had any problems w/ the engine or drive. OK... ernie had a prob w/ the water pump. just keepin it real.

And yes, if you care for your bravo, you should be fine.
I upgraded cuz if it blew, i'd never hear the end of it from the mrs.. so it was cheap insurance.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Registered

Rob, I can do better than $5,500 on my 525 and you'd be able to recoup some of the cost by selling off the motor you have now (thanks for the plug Stormrider!). The thing runs good, but it's not the right motor for me. I have the opportunity to run for extended periods of time at WOT with that motor (based on the mid 60's speed it will push my 28). So I decided to get something with a bit more heat so that I can run 65 further down in the RPM range. The 525 was perfect for the rivers and lakes that Griff ran it on.

As I recall, when Ironman had 500+ hp in my old 24 (now Bouyhunter's boat) and I thought it ran real close to 80 on Lake George. I'm guessing that running a stock bravo with 550 to 600 hp shouldn't be a problem. The boats are so light compared to a 28 and there are guys running near a thousand hp that aren't having any trouble with a bravo.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:27 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Just have the drive gone through, and learn how to properly take care of it.
There are a few here i'd listen too.
Like those running 900+hp w/ bravos having luck.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet!
The boats are so light compared to a 28 and there are guys running near a thousand hp that aren't having any trouble with a bravo.
Really?? That makes me feel a little better about my Bravo. But I think its worth checking out the parts on it.

I'm not married yet... but its coming. So at least for the moment I'm my own boss... LOL.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Registered

Yah, sorry I definately think you should go through it and make sure everything is in order. I'm doing the same with my Imco.

My advice on the married thing is to use a trick play... Blow $70 or $80k on a race car first that you never use... that way when you drop $10k or $20k on a boat that you both use all the time it will seem totally reasonable to her!
Old 09-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
Remember torque matters too. A 550HP/454 is not the same as a 550HP/502. The 502 cube engine is going to get your there quicker and more often...
Well, it depends on the hp vs. rpm but yes generally that is correct!
Old 09-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
Well, it depends on the hp vs. rpm but yes generally that is correct!
Then that means my gear ratio is going to mean a little on top speed too. Another reason to tear apart. i don't know $hit from apple butter, when it comes to my drive.

Last edited by robltc; 09-07-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet!
My advice on the married thing is to use a trick play... Blow $70 or $80k on a race car first that you never use... that way when you drop $10k or $20k on a boat that you both use all the time it will seem totally reasonable to her!
...not a bad plan. My strategy was to build a new house to appease, ...but little harder on the pocket book though.

Quick Reply: 80 mph 24'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.