80 mph 24' >

80 mph 24'

Notices

80 mph 24'

Old 09-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet!
My rule of thumb on pricing used stuff is about 50% of what it would cost to buy it new.
So what did a new 454 330 hp cost?? Haven't seen any of those for sale... lol

BTW, Does a new truck count?? I'm banking on the buy something nice for her, then I get to buy something nice for myself... seems like you have to spend 2000 dollars for every 1000 dollars you want to spend on yourself...

Last edited by robltc; 09-07-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

I've heard that with the 24s, 75 is a nice quick ride and 80+ will turn your hair white (unless your last name is Nunez ).

My old 24 used to run low 90s, radar verified, and my hair is still brown I was running approx 625 hp thru a standard Bravo 1.5 w/ a mirage plus attached for 2 yrs with no failures. Ask anyone in the Barnegat Bay that got smoked by that little boat, I ran hard. Just dont come out of the hole to hard and you should have no problems.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Registered

Here's a link I found from a quick internet search...

http://www.dereberyperformance.com/Merch.html

http://www.dereberyperformance.com/Stock_Engines.html

I'd guess you'd get $2k - $2,500 for a decent used cast bottom end big block. But then again, my motors not sold yet, so what do I know!

Sarabman, what did you think of the ride in your 24 at 90+? I've never done it in a 24, so I'm curious. Also where's the boat now? Still out there running hard?

Last edited by Dude! Sweet!; 09-07-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robltc
Really?? That makes me feel a little better about my Bravo. But I think its worth checking out the parts on it.

I'm not married yet... but its coming. So at least for the moment I'm my own boss... LOL.
How close?? You may be surprised at how much you aren't.

Originally Posted by robltc
...not a bad plan. My strategy was to build a new house to appease, ...but little harder on the pocket book though.
NO WAY dude!! - she'll just want a bigger house in a few years - no matter what ya build.

My advice on the married thing is to use a trick play... Blow $70 or $80k on a race car first that you never use... that way when you drop $10k or $20k on a boat that you both use all the time it will seem totally reasonable to her!
Take Sean's advice on this part of it.
I wish I had this advice before my first marriage, well, maybe not. At least it sped up the divorce.
My Wife now, we met boating, so she already knows how expensive it is.

Looks like our boats are at a similar stage:
Have: full Hydraulic steering, New Exhaust (Thanks Sean!!), and I know the drive is only 3yrs old - although it did have some hefty power in it for a little while. Fortunately I do have a trailer with it.
Motor work - Not my forte. Doing the wet-sanding, and filling nicks and scratches I can handle.

My plan is to do the motor fairly stock, probably sweeten the cam.
I want something reliable and affordable, because I also want to do some cosmetics and "customizing" to my taste.
When I'm done with that, I'll build a motor to make it scream, and be able to have the reliable motor on a stand in case I blow up the big one. I have a buddy's Dad doing the motor work (ITTLFLI) here on the board. He's got a Donzi 22Classic thats running a tick over 80.

So where are the pics of your boat?? Do you still have the lifeline on it??

Last edited by bouyhunter; 09-07-2007 at 05:05 PM. Reason: I need to learn to proofread before posting...
Old 09-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I've heard that with the 24s, 75 is a nice quick ride and 80+ will turn your hair white (unless your last name is Nunez ).
I think it's the running attitude of the boat that can scare you at higher speeds. My boat is a TOTALLY different ride when trying to squeeze that last 2-3mph out of it.

My point is if your boat can do 85mph in perfect conditions 80-82mph should be a riot in some slop. Try to ring her out to 85 in the slop and that could turn your hair white!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Registered

D S. It took a lot of finesse to run at those speeds. After a few hard runs I always felt kinda wiped. That being said, it was the most fun I have ever had in a boat.

The boat has been repowered with significantly milder power and is now owned by an OSO memeber.

Last edited by scarabman; 09-08-2007 at 03:27 AM. Reason: why not?
Old 09-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by scarabman
D S. It took a lot of finesse to run at those speeds. After a few hard runs I always felt kida wiped. that being siad, it was the most fun I have ever had in a boat.

The boat has been repowered with significantly milder power and is now owned by an OSO memeber.
Scarabman I just realized two things. #1 you have a set of the very rare Volvo 600s built by Innovation in your boat. Very nice! #2 I know who has your old Pantera!
Old 09-08-2007, 03:28 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob, I can do better than $5,500 on my 525 and you'd be able to recoup some of the cost by selling off the motor you have now (thanks for the plug Stormrider!). The thing runs good, but it's not the right motor for me. I have the opportunity to run for extended periods of time at WOT with that motor (based on the mid 60's speed it will push my 28). So I decided to get something with a bit more heat so that I can run 65 further down in the RPM range. The 525 was perfect for the rivers and lakes that Griff ran it on.

As I recall, when Ironman had 500+ hp in my old 24 (now Bouyhunter's boat) and I thought it ran real close to 80 on Lake George. I'm guessing that running a stock bravo with 550 to 600 hp shouldn't be a problem. The boats are so light compared to a 28 and there are guys running near a thousand hp that aren't having any trouble with a bravo.
Right On, 500hp would get to 77 - 78.5gps any day at 300 elevation with just myself on board, go 550 and a little dialing in from a 502+ inch motor and 80++ should be no problem.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
Scarabman I just realized two things. #1 you have a set of the very rare Volvo 600s built by Innovation in your boat. Very nice! #2 I know who has your old Pantera!
Yes, and yes you do The 600s run great.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
Looks like our boats are at a similar stage:
Have: full Hydraulic steering, New Exhaust (Thanks Sean!!), and I know the drive is only 3yrs old - although it did have some hefty power in it for a little while. Fortunately I do have a trailer with it.
Motor work - Not my forte. Doing the wet-sanding, and filling nicks and scratches I can handle.
Maybe you can help with some advice to cleaning up my hull then??... Motor work... that's about all I know how to do, and my experience is with a few old cars not boats...

Well, I got to visiting with my dad on this little project. He owns an implelement dealership so I have a large shop to my disposal, that's where I store the boat. The only problem is its 1.5 hrs away, but anyway... We got to thinking about the trailer, I think I can rebuild the one I have for about 1000 bucks maybe, so that should free of a few dollars up to spend on the good stuff.

I think I'm going to shoot for 600 hp and if I reach that good if I'm somewhere actually closer to 550 that should be OK too. It sounds like I need c.i. close to the 500 range, and everyone seems to be in agreement with that. I'm glad I asked too, cause I was going to go for a mild overbore on my 454 and a few goodies to reach the hp.

Next time I'm back, in 2 wks or so, I'll take several pics of the boat where its at now. I have it on a home-made dolley that I built so we can move it around the shop, etc.. and I can work on the trailer.

I'm going to budget 10k on this project, and thinking of just taking a loan out so I can start right away. By the end, I should have about 20k in the whole boat, if I ever sell it, could I get that back out of it???

May be a little more cause I want to repaint/gelcoat the hull too... The interior has been redone for the most part already except for cabin, but I may change the color...

Sorry for all of the questions... you've all been a huge help and I think I learned a few things too. Sounds like 80 mph is not an unreasonable number and gives me something to shoot for.

Quick Reply: 80 mph 24'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.