Austin 28' powered by twin small blocks >

Austin 28' powered by twin small blocks

Notices

Austin 28' powered by twin small blocks

Old 06-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Back out of the Game!
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's really cool , sounds like a great way to learn from an accomplished racer on your own boat!

BTW I REALLY like your graphics!! another all white hits the water!

Originally Posted by Austin
The boat is better than I expected and ran like a dream in the ocean… Jo, Pepe, Linda, thank you! I’ve been boating since I was 9, but never really experienced “performance boating” until the other day. Jo took me out the cut in Miami for a test drive, on the way out the cut he says “ you see how it’s calm on that side- you can make it out that way if you want. Then, see how the waves are bunched up in the middle (with the tide going out)… yeah. We could go that way if you want?” OK. He throttles up to about fifty (still break in, so no full throttle) and we ramp off a five footer! The boat was definitely in the air… maybe not as far as the pictures on the Pantera shop wall- but as far as the story I’m telling, we were! The boat came down smooth and just crushed the next wave. We went about four miles out I was watching Jo drive… throttles, trim, drives. It’s a lot harder that it looks to get the timing just right. On the way back in through the inlet we shot off another one. The whole “air time” reminded me of a stunt a friend pulled in a Cessna 172 … he pulled the yoke up and stalled the plane, as it started to fall, we were looking around the cabin and there was a pencil floating off the dash board as we were free falling!! Pantera is one strong hull, my boat is a 1999 and no stress cracks.

I dropped Jo off at the ramp and idled back out to the inlet, the whole time trying to familiarize myself with the boat and remember the pointers from the pro. I didn’t jump the center waves on the way back out, although I wanted to! It was around 3:30 and I needed to make it to Sebastian Inlet 140 mile north. Driving in the ocean fast is much harder than it seems, loving boats, I enjoyed every minute, and averaged 40-50 MPH at between 3000-3400 RPM’s. I think the boat gets close to 3 MPG at that speed, which by any standard, in a boat like that is great. It’s a 120 gallon tank (filled up before leaving) and the gauge is on 5/8’s of a tank. That’s the test ride, 140 miles, and then four mile to a no wake zone that’s another 3 miles to the dock.

I was, and am, very impressed with the Pantera people and product. This is no Bayliner! The fit and finish of the boat is great, solid as a rock, no little sounds that piss you off. Don’t forget mines 10 years old…and I bet it’s jumped more than a few waves. When I picked the boat up they were there double checking everything, washing it up, doing everything imaginable to make sure ,when that boat left the factory, it was perfect.

I have much more respect for those who go out there and race at 90MPH. I got much better just in those three hours out there, so hopefully 50MPH will begin the feel slow and the rhythm will find my throttle hand… it’s as much fun as you can have without going to jail!!

I’ll post a few more pictures of the boat once I get back to the Bahamas.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Boat looks great!!
Love the commentary as well.
Nice job Guys - and Congrats on the new (to you) boat. Sounds like you got exactly what you were looking for.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

congras and enjoy..
Old 06-09-2008, 09:20 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Austin, i didn't know you were going w/ the 377s.
seeing how much space there is between them confirms my ideas of what i need.
Excellent fuel economy too! You've got the range you were looking for, plus.
Congrats in a big way!!!
Old 06-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Registered

Awesome looking boat! I'm a new owner too. Mine's almost 20 years old and it feels like you describe!
Old 06-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Registered

Yeah, I like the 377's. Not having had inboards before it's a little hard getting around the engines, but I'm sure it will get easier. I think I'll need to go in head first- upside down- to spray the bottoms of the motors with corrision block.

Been busy getting it ready for the crossing on Thursday, the wife is flying over to join me, then out the inlet headin east...
Old 06-09-2008, 09:06 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice! Have a safe trip, and enjoy it!

Jo, how'd you like running the sbc boat.
Not many leave the shop that way.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Registered

well how was the trip
Old 06-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Registered

Trip was great... 5.5 hours dock to dock in some pretty big chop. I do have to revise the MPG estimate in the last post, not "knowing" the fuel gage I was a little off. The run from Sebastain Inlet to Abaco was a better test as I was able to easily add up the fuel used and compare that to the distance traveled. The boat got 1.73 MPG averaged over the total distance. That was crusing between 3000 and 3400 RPM's which I now think is a little high for optimal fuel consuption, which I belive now to be around 2750 RPM's and 38-40 MPH... I think this will yeild around 2MPG or a tad better. Plus the boat was still in the break in period and using 30w oil. I think I read somewhere that after the motors breaks in, and you go to the 40w oil ,the motors settle in and use less fuel... does anyone know if this is true and to what extent?

I'll post a few pictures of the boat in it's new home soon.

Last edited by Austin; 06-23-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:28 AM
Registered

i was always told that the optimum cruising speed is 75% of WOT...so if your maximum rpm is 5250 your peak cruising rpm should be right about 39-4000rpms....can anyone confirm this

Quick Reply: Austin 28' powered by twin small blocks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.