Boat Name advice? >

Boat Name advice?

Notices

Boat Name advice?

Old 08-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Name advice?

I am thinking about naming my boat GRIMALKIN. Since I can't find any history on my boat and don't know if it had a previous name. I did a search and I only came up with one other sailboat with this name that was sunk in a race in the 70's. Is it ok to use the name if someone (sailboat) had it before? Anyway, I like GRIMALKIN and is has a cool tie in with an old Pantera.
From Wikipedia:
A grimalkin is old or evil-looking she-cat. The term stems from "gray" (the color) plus "malkin", an archaic word for demon. Scottish legend makes reference to the grimalkin as a faery cat which dwells in the highlands.

The term/name may first come from Beware the Cat (published 1570) by William Baldwin, who relates the story of Grimalkin's death. According to its editors, the story, and thus the name, originates with Baldwin. It is also spelled Grimmalkin or Grimolochin.

During the early modern period, the name grimalkin - and cats in general - became associated with the devil and witchcraft. Women tried as witches in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries were often accused of having a familiar, frequently a grimalkin.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts

I've been struggling with a name for some time myself.
Yours sounds good to me.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto here too. My wife wants to call mine "Panty"

Ugggh! I'll probably stick with "Love Machine 3"

Grimalkin is definitely different. Sounds like something out of the Lord of the Rings
Old 08-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Registered

It is pretty medieval, but my Pantera is old as dirt! not many 28s that old running around.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panterafreak
I am thinking about naming my boat GRIMALKIN. Since I can't find any history on my boat and don't know if it had a previous name. I did a search and I only came up with one other sailboat with this name that was sunk in a race in the 70's. Is it ok to use the name if someone (sailboat) had it before? Anyway, I like GRIMALKIN and is has a cool tie in with an old Pantera.
From Wikipedia:
A grimalkin is old or evil-looking she-cat. The term stems from "gray" (the color) plus "malkin", an archaic word for demon. Scottish legend makes reference to the grimalkin as a faery cat which dwells in the highlands.

The term/name may first come from Beware the Cat (published 1570) by William Baldwin, who relates the story of Grimalkin's death. According to its editors, the story, and thus the name, originates with Baldwin. It is also spelled Grimmalkin or Grimolochin.

During the early modern period, the name grimalkin - and cats in general - became associated with the devil and witchcraft. Women tried as witches in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries were often accused of having a familiar, frequently a grimalkin.

most people arent gunna have any idea what the means never mind what is says. its original but i would keep thinking. just me 2 cents
Old 08-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Registered

I received an email from someone who had a little bit of history on my boat. We know it was used to run dope, and was seized and spent several years in impound. He suggested going more along with a different name. He had some good ideas, but I am kinda thinking about
1. TIME SERVED
2. GOOD BEHAVIOR
3. EARLY RELEASE
4. PARDONED
5. PINCHED or NABBED
6. REHABILITATED

Any of these sound catchy?? You guys help me out here!

Last edited by Panterafreak; 08-16-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:26 AM
Registered

How about Violator
Old 08-17-2008, 01:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dono77056
How about Violator

I like it! it's on the short list.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:33 AM
Registered

Illicit Intentions ????

Last edited by Panterafreak; 08-17-2008 at 02:36 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts

X-runner

Quick Reply: Boat Name advice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.